Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

I want a compact dual band Sansamp but all the demos I've heard seem way too scooped so I'd like to see a few different settings to see if it can do anything other than sound like Dug. I prefer the more midrangey tone of this demo of the Geddy pre for example:

Same dude with a Dug bass + Dug pre!

Edited by dannybuoy

I saw the one on @Tech21NYC facebook feed this morning. I thought the distorted portion sounded like John Entwistle circa Live at Leeds. Just brilliant. I can't wait to get my hands on this and play through it.

I feel that it's stuff like this that makes Tech21 brilliant. I was a bit reticent when I saw it was going to be a fixed crossover, however I'm pretty sure that's not going to matter from the videos. Genius bit of kit.

@Lozz196 don't do it mate. You've got your perfect sound already with your PDDI / Ashdown / Fender P bass rig. Why deviate from perfection? :)

My advice: look forward to the autumn and a rush of these appearing in the FS section at knock down prices, after the initial honeymoon three month period when Cuzzie's cohorts cogitate on just how crazily crunchy their new dirt pedal is. :D

@Al Krow for once I will disagree with you!

I don’t think there will be a rush on these second hand. There is no disrespect to they that don’t want it, but I think those that will get it, really know what they are getting themselves into and what this will deliver.

There are not huge numbers of flyrigs jumping around, don’t know how many units were sold, but that again is different as people who move it generally don’t use all the effects (from what i have read).

This is a clean tone and a monster, or whatever distorted tone you want in a matchbox, for £270, and you may not need your amps at all (don’t forget the tuner!)

Check our Grinder Blues his blues band, unfortunately they didn’t do any UK gigs or I would have been there, there will be some footage. He did a whole European tour with a bass and this and just used whatever was in each venue.

Awesome!

Oh I wouldn`t be looking to change my sound at all, but if this little dude can reproduce it then it has to be a goer. It`s that little that it wouldn`t be any trouble to still carry my current gear about to gigs as well, but on flights etc so much easier to just take this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Meh... all I can determine is that I REALLY don't like Dug's sound in that video...but my initial thoughts are it's definitely not for me...

+1! You and me both :)

But tbf: Cuzzie will put 13 pedals infront of, behind, and looped around this and make it sound just great. And then tell me I was wrong all along. 

30 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

This is a clean tone and a monster

This is where I struggle. This is first and foremost a dirt pedal. If you want a great clean tone, get a decent amp (which you've already got!).

Kind of you to say Mr Krow 👊🏾👍🏾. And thanks for amp compliments, I deliberately chose it as it’s v clean and will reproduce what myriad of stuff I send it!

dUg is known for his dirt, but if this is to be sold as a take anywhere pedal then it needs to have a good clean tone as a base, or then it is just another dirt pedal if you catch my drift.

Its a pre-amp pedal with dirt from mild to monster capabilities. Now it does have fixed crossover points, compression ratio’s etc. So it’s not hyper intuitive whereby every facet is for you to control like some may be, but if you are a Tech21 fan, you know what you are getting.

A similar example is  that Trickfish Preamp Pedal I put up on the thread in some respects  (without dirt and it has 2 channels for 2 different bases to be Eq’d), or Verellen Meatsmoke if you like grit.

I think manufacturers are finally being smart with things like this. Most people have an amp of some description where it has a power section, and a lot of venues have PA’s. Before these if you liked an Amp you had to shell out the cost for that amp for that sound and store it, that’s upwards of £1k for the ones I mentioned. Now you can have the sound, in a compact solution with your existing kit. 

I think it’s great at the moment to be a bassist!

On the second vid that DB posted, Dug says he is trying to get a 'John Entwistle / Chris Squire' sound. Really?!!

Those two awesome bass legends sound NOTHING like what Dug is doing at the start of the video clip (which is a complete scooped mush).