Why become a member? ×

Tech21 prototype dUg pre-amp pedal.

Painy

2 hours ago, visog said:

It's the Goat of Mendes! What's this ungulate pedal? DG or TwoNotes challenger?

It's a Wounded Paw Battering Ram Q. 

https://www.woundedpawaudio.ca/fx/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=29&zenid=99a32393a9736460d2ca46ea79dfc03f

I don't even like fuzz pedals and this is genius. Truly. Genius. The parametric EQ is great. The distortion in parallel with the fuzz and octave up fuzz is brilliant. Very flexible and just great. In that respect better than Darkglass, but the sound is very different.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

It's a Wounded Paw Battering Ram Q. 

https://www.woundedpawaudio.ca/fx/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=29&zenid=99a32393a9736460d2ca46ea79dfc03f

I don't even like fuzz pedals and this is genius. Truly. Genius. The parametric EQ is great. The distortion in parallel with the fuzz and octave up fuzz is brilliant. Very flexible and just great. In that respect better than Darkglass, but the sound is very different.

Wow. Didn’t realise they made these. I had a Battering Ram 2.6 (effectively the same pedal, minus EQ) and had it not been for it’s awkward size and shape I may well have kept it. Very cool pedal and bucket loads of bottom end in the overdrive I found. In fact, it held more low end than any other overdrive I’ve owned, before or since O.o

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

Wow. Didn’t realise they made these. I had a Battering Ram 2.6 (effectively the same pedal, minus EQ) and had it not been for it’s awkward size and shape I may well have kept it. Very cool pedal and bucket loads of bottom end in the overdrive I found!

Yeah, it keeps the low end very well. I bought it for my synth setup, but it's brilliant and can be used as an all in one pre-amp due to the EQ.

When I was at this I got Preston to make a rack pre of the 701 amp. The one on the website is mine (001). I got a few things tweaked to my own specs and that thing kills as well. I'll do proper reviews when I get a few minutes, but if you like very textured dirt sounds, this is where they can be found.

19 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Yeah, it keeps the low end very well. I bought it for my synth setup, but it's brilliant and can be used as an all in one pre-amp due to the EQ.

When I was at this I got Preston to make a rack pre of the 701 amp. The one on the website is mine (001). I got a few things tweaked to my own specs and that thing kills as well. I'll do proper reviews when I get a few minutes, but if you like very textured dirt sounds, this is where they can be found.

Ok let's completely de-rail this thread :D - what are you using for your 'synth setup'?

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ok let's completely de-rail this thread :D - what are you using for your 'synth setup'?

Well, you saw it round at mine Bas! It's Roland PK6 midi pedals into a Moog Slim Phatty then to a Strymon Mobius and lastly to a Strymon Timeline. I've played bass through this and it sounds great as well. The drawback was the lack of EQ options and dirt. Hence why I got the Battering Ram. That as well as having a fuzz pedal for the studio. It really punches above its price point.

Edited by Wolverinebass

12 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

Well, you saw it round at mine Bas! It's Roland PK6 midi pedals into a Moog Slim Phatty then to a Strymon Mobius and lastly to a Strymon Timeline. I've played bass through this and it sounds great as well. The drawback was the lack of EQ options and dirt. Hence why I got the Battering Ram. That as well as having a fuzz pedal for the studio. It really punches above its price point.

I was too busy trying out your 12 string and (rather fancy!) 4 string basses to properly notice :D, but that does sound good (although not something I'd want to try to fit onto my pedal board!) 

16 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Actually I'm really looking forward to trying the dUg straight into my Yamaha DXR10 powered PA cab.

Aside from my Helix I've not done much direct to PA. This might not only be a great rig on it's own, but also a good backup to the helix.

I suspect that might work out pretty well!

BTW folks, heard word from Tech21 on 'that other forum' that the XLR 'is darker' than the main output, as per Dug's specs. Whether this means there is no speaker sim at all on the main out, or just a brighter one, remains to be seen!

Just for those folk sending the XLR to the desk and the main out to your FRFR wotsits, you won't get exactly the same tone out of each.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

BTW folks, heard word from Tech21 on 'that other forum' that the XLR 'is darker' than the main output, as per Dug's specs. Whether this means there is no speaker sim at all on the main out, or just a brighter one, remains to be seen!

Just for those folk sending the XLR to the desk and the main out to your FRFR wotsits, you won't get exactly the same tone out of each.

Problem solved.
41ruYdmho5L.jpg

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Decker can mean so many things, may just be a dampened signal so it’s not über hot.

@Tech21NYC care to comment?!

It's pretty clear from the thread on TB they are talking about treble roll-off. I expect it was designed this way to try and even out the sound you get going to the PA and coming out of a cab when you turn the tweeter off (or have no tweeter), that's the only thing that would make sense to me.

19 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You know I've never actually gone to a rehearsal place and just gone straight into the PA.  Might be fun to just travel light once in a while.

I used to do that all the time with a bass pod xt. The only problem I found was that you had to fill the room with bass. Still, happy days for travelling light though.

21 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

That`s just killed my wanting one of these.

23 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

That's a bit bonkers isn't it? I read that as well and was a bit disappointed. A far cry from getting your tone to the desk. Now, you'd have to decide which one you like best and run a splitter after it. Very unamusing if that turns into a negative thing. Would have been nice if any of this had been mentioned in the manual.

Well it may not be, and certainly it will be interesting how different the tone will be.

i just think speculation is ramping up as it’s imminent, conjecture etc will amplify everything.

Nothing will be 1 pedal to rule them all, and if it only comes down to the odd bit of knit picking with a bloody good sound, it’s a definite winner.

I wrote this across on TB, happy to be slated, or commented on?!

I know there is a lot said on the high end roll off from the XLR, etc. Fixed crossover points (it has to be, it’s a small box!) but are we not in danger of getting Gandalf in and trying to build things up as a one pedal to rule them all type thing? Nothing is going to do that.

It’s a Sig pedalit will work in the artists range and do it bloody well as well as touching other territory. I am not going to buy my Sandberg MarloweDK Sig bass and then moan it has a 37mm nut width and it’s too thin, them be the specs and it will be mint.

Loads of speculation as it’s imminent, but in dUg we trust and wouldn’t it be funny if the XLR was unchanged and people complained it had too much high end?!

I may be wrong on this, but are PA speakers not a fuller range compared to a bass cab?
Knocking off some high end fizz may not be a bad thing as it has high frequency distortion and a good PA system will adjust accordingly, but having some more of the high end going to a bass cab that won’t reproduce it as well may be a good thing to allow it to cut?

I dunno, happy to be wrong, but I can’t wait to try, and then we will know

The problem is releasing a product designed exactly how the artist specified - for a mass release version it would be better to make certain things configurable. This doesn't impact the artist's original vision, only enhances it for wider appeal. In this case, for those using dark wooly 15 inchers vs those with hifi or FRFR rigs.

There was a similar fuss kicked up over the Geddy preamp, which has separate outputs for the high and low channels with no option for a blended output and also no bypass switch without opening the unit up and changing jumper settings.

Edited by dannybuoy

The assumption is that your bass rig is darker than a full range PA, so apply milder LPF to the main out vs the XLR. This would work out perfectly for my rig which has no tweeters. Trouble is these days many bass rigs are full range just like the PA. That's why making it switchable would make sense. Even for Dug himself when he can't be sure what rig he'll end up with on tour.

Edited by dannybuoy