Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence

blue

Blue, I agree that you can "learn" stage presence - or at least something akin to it ;)
To those of us who don't really have it - it may just feel like you can't learn, because there aren't so many books, guides and youtube videos... or if there are, we don't tend to seek them out. We are probably too busy seeking out the equipment reviews and step by step learning of some song we have to cover in two nights time! lol

From seeing peoples photos of me playing, I'm definitely not smiling enough - my concentrating face is way too serious. At least I know this, so I'm trying to rectify that, or I'm conscious of it when I see someone pointing a camera at the stage. Photos and videos of you playing live are a good way to help you realise how others may see you

I also know I spend too long looking at my fretboard, and when I'm playing DB, I spend too long looking at the fingerboard on that too - more so than looking at my fretboard - as position on a DB is more critical (without the frets). again, I'm aware of it - I just need to keep thinking about that when playing live. Incidentally, dancing & prancing around the stage is obviously not as easy when you're playing DB. There was a discussion thread on here somewhere, where DB players talked about it being essential to "dance" with your DB

Another aspect of stage presence, or looking professional. In one of my bands (Elvis tribute backing band) - the band all wear the same clothes. Black trousers, black shoes, and black shirt with gold "buttons" down the sleeves & around the collar.... Several people who know the band members, or had seen us playing before we adopted this "uniform" mentioned that they think a cohesive appearance makes the band look "more professional" - Obviously, this works best for a tribute act or similar, and wouldn't be a great look for everybody - but a dress code can sometimes also help with stage appearance

Stage presence is part and parcel of the actor's attributes, and can be learned by anyone; the techniques are all there. Theatre schools, drama classes, actor studios, dance lessons... That's the way to acquire those skills, assuming them to be important enough in the first place.

Yes indeed Dad3353. I think Blue's point was that we can all learn stage presence, but not everyone wants to, or needs to have as high a "profile" as, for instance, some lead singers might..... Some bass players will happily stand at the back, next to the drummer as has already been pointed out, and for some this is fine. I've been in that position in the past, and been in some bands where it may well have been frowned upon if I tried anything else! lol

How many bassists are out there who've had a negative experience of a more noticeable "stage presence"? I wonder....
Sorry if that looks like I'm trying to hijack your thread Blue :) - but is there sometimes a downside to improving this?

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1499259828' post='3330343']
How many bassists are out there who've had a negative experience of a more noticeable "stage presence"? I wonder....
[/quote]

I came to the conclusion in my last band that if I'd been a bit more anonymous I might have lasted a bit longer ;)

Ultimatey it's all down to connecting with the audience and some folk are a bit sh*t at it no matter how many acting lessons you send them to. It's what separates the really good teachers/lecturers from the also rans too.

Edited by KevB

I do agree to a certain extent that some people just have it and if you haven't, trying too hard looks even worse than not trying at all... it's very easy to look like muppet.

However as has been mentioned a couple of times already, if you don't have it, working out what it is your doing wrong (video is ideal) and making small changes can go a long way.

I am the least cool person imaginable and I have absolutely zero natural stage presence, but even I force myself into looking cheerful and moving around a bit. It really does make a big difference to how the band looks on stage and is worth spending a bit of time on if you're not a natural.

Standing dead still doing the "too cool for school" thing might seem like a good idea. But in really it just makes you look like you think you're a bit special.

Edited by CamdenRob

I have never been a dancer. Although I like some music it does not really make me want to move other than tap my foot or nod my head in time. I have always been more of a listener.
I never got the rudiments of dancing book, I never knew when to start pointing at things in the air, turn your head from side to side as if looking over your shoulder while mouthing an 'ooh'. When I am on stage playing I look at people dancing and wonder what it is that makes them do funny movements with their hands as if casting a spell, or moving their feet as if there is some worked out choreography going on.
I know it is just me.

Edited by goingdownslow

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1499252965' post='3330258']
Hi Blue,

Great thread! - It's made me think about my stage moves and stance. Just one question: Where can I get an invisible bear? ;)
[/quote]

One will show up when you least expect it.

Blue

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1499275344' post='3330485']
I have never been a dancer. Although I like some music it does not really make me want to move other than tap my foot or nod my head in time. I have always been more of a listener.
I never got the rudiments of dancing book, I never knew when to start pointing at things in the air, turn your head from side to side as if looking over your shoulder while mouthing an 'ooh'. When I am on stage playing I look at people dancing and wonder what it is that makes them do funny movements with their hands as if casting a spell, or moving their feet as if there is some worked out choreography going on.
I know it is just me.
[/quote]

I'm not a dancer either, never have been.

I think the main thing is to be able to transfer how you envision yourself on stage, what your comfortable with to your real life performance.

I've been practicing my stage stuff at home,down to details like when to use certain hand jestures to when and where I alter my position on stage.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499245313' post='3330195']
I think confidence plays a huge role here.

Here's another thing or suggestion. If the band is having an off night or blatant mistakes are being made, don't focus on the negativee and let it show or get you down. That's only going to nake things worse.

Blue
[/quote]

Altho i like to practice well to ensure no mistakes there are nearly always one or two and i've grown to expect the odd little thing so i don't really let that bother me and i just put to back of my mind and discuss with the band at a later stage if it warrants a discussion.

Generally we just cover any mistake and move on to enjoy the gig.

Another thing that makes a difference for me is that i'm doing it for enjoyment and its not a salary or a needed income for me.
If i was relying on the income i think i may have a completely different outlook on how we do things.

Dave

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1499274225' post='3330474']

Standing dead still doing the "too cool for school" thing might seem like a good idea. But in really it just makes you look like you think you're a bit special.
[/quote]

Agreed, it's different for all of us. Like I mentioned earlier even the traditional head Bob and moving to the groove doesn't work for everyone.

We have to figure out what works for us as individuals. One size does not fit all. Again video tells the real story.

Blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1499260472' post='3330347']

I came to the conclusion in my last band that if I'd been a bit more anonymous I might have lasted a bit longer ;)

Ultimatey it's all down to connecting with the audience and some folk are a bit sh*t at it no matter how many acting lessons you send them to. It's what separates the really good teachers/lecturers from the also rans too.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure, right now, I'm the weak link in terms of stage presence in our band.

I plan on changing that and I'm already seeing improvement at every gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499276830' post='3330496']

I'm pretty sure, right now, I'm the weak link in terms of stage presence in our band.

I plan on changing that and I'm already seeing improvement at every gig.

Blue
[/quote]

You could take the view that you make all the others look really good... and therefore you perform a vital role

... don't be too hard on yourself.

For what it's worth I think the most important thing is to be yourself, nothing looks worse than someone trying to do something that looks like they're trying too hard.
If you naturally bounce around the stage, that's great, if you don't then it'll looks awfull if you try.
Ultimately the crowd do the dancing, the band provide the music.
As long as the singer/frontman has got confidence then that's the main thing in my opinion.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1499290016' post='3330611']
You could take the view that you make all the others look really good... and therefore you perform a vital role

... don't be too hard on yourself.
[/quote]

Brilliant :lol: :lol: :lol:

I revisited some VIDS from earlier this year and have come to the conclusion i need to improve on my stage presence too. I do tend to floor or neck watch altho i do generally look relaxed and enjoying myself i don't always look towards the audience. Hopefully i can improve on that now that i've realised it.
Initially when i saw the VIDS at the time i thought they were pretty good too but just goes to show there's always room for imprvement. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1499275344' post='3330485']
I have never been a dancer. Although I like some music it does not really make me want to move other than tap my foot or nod my head in time.......

.....I know it is just me.
[/quote]

Yet another one who is no natural dancer here! ;) And another who knows only too well, it isn't "just you" - there are plenty of us around, re all your other points in your reply too ;) However, in my "non-natural" dance way and mannerisms, I kind of feel as though my bass is something between me & the audience. It's a sort of "comfort blanket" so to speak, or a buffer if you like. Maybe because I have a bass around my neck, and I mic nearby (sometimes) perhaps the audience sort of "expects" some movement from me?

I do think because I've always tapped my feet when learning to play, it has at least helped improve my sense of rhythm, and helped me make some body movements that are in time with the music. I know it's easy to look a bit of a fool, or at least a bit awkward - but does playing an instrument give you something of a licence to move around at least a bit? lol

There is definitely no definitive answer to stage presence, some people radiate cool just by the way they stand, others provide entertainment by being a lot more active.

For me I think you need to at least look like you are enjoying yourself, as if you look bored and as if you don’t want to be there then this can transfer to the audience.

Other than that I am quite active on stage, pulling many faces and like to play songs with lots of open strings so I can use my fretting hand to point at the audience.

I' ve not gigged for a few years now but being a bit of an exhibitionist - although not really a showoff - I was always in my element with other blokes in bands putting together a few moves and looking like we were having fun. In the samba band I recently played with playing while also doing a choreography was what is was all about, not just standing there hitting things. Yeah we're all different etc but Radiohead at Glastonbury were dull not because of the music as much as the stillness and lack of banter. Better to be more like Dave Grohl than Tom Yorke.

I've had to tone down the stage moves. When I was first gigging it was a three piece and it fell to me to be the visual interest as whilst the other guys where great on stage the material meant they didn't have time to go roaming off ala Jimi. Video's been great to help the process but I've noticed I go from one bad habit to the next. Out of nowhere I've started mouthing the basslines as I play, like a demented cross between Glenn Gould and a goldfish.

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1499259828' post='3330343']
I've been in that position in the past, and been in some bands where it may well have been frowned upon if I tried anything else! lol
[/quote]

I suspect a few, luckily I would want to know that soon as I don't want to be in that band. I realise from watching videos I look down a lot and look too serious.
At a gig on sunday, for an odd reason I had a lot of space, so I spent some time wandering about. Not exactly dancing but at least looking more mobile!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1499359961' post='3331029']
I suspect a few, luckily I would want to know that soon as I don't want to be in that band. I realise from watching videos I look down a lot and look too serious.
At a gig on sunday, for an odd reason I had a lot of space, so I spent some time wandering about. Not exactly dancing but at least looking more mobile!
[/quote]

A good bassist always knows when to fill the space. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

[quote name='Tony p' timestamp='1499323334' post='3330683']
For what it's worth I think the most important thing is to be yourself, nothing looks worse than someone trying to do something that looks like they're trying too hard.
If you naturally bounce around the stage, that's great, if you don't then it'll looks awfull if you try.
Ultimately the crowd do the dancing, the band provide the music.
As long as the singer/frontman has got confidence then that's the main thing in my opinion.
[/quote]

Tony,

I agree to a point.

I naturally bounce around on stage, however when I saw myself on video I thought I looked ridiculous. I am losing my bounce and it can't happen fast enough.

My bounce might have looked cool at 24, 34 and maybe even 44. But at 64 it looked embarrassingly awful.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499369026' post='3331140']
Tony,

I agree to a point.

I naturally bounce around on stage, however when I saw myself on video I thought I looked ridiculous. I am losing my bounce and it can't happen fast enough.

My bounce might have looked cool at 24, 34 and maybe even 44. But at 64 it looked embarrassingly awful.

Blue
[/quote]

Have to say Blue if that's you in the original post pic with the Gibson T then no way you look your age of 64 mate. I would have pegged you in mid to late 40's based on those pics. You're doing something right :lol:

Dave