Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence

blue

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1499355575' post='3330987']
I' ve not gigged for a few years now but being a bit of an exhibitionist - although not really a showoff - I was always in my element with other blokes in bands putting together a few moves and looking like we were having fun. In the samba band I recently played with playing while also doing a choreography was what is was all about, not just standing there hitting things. Yeah we're all different etc but Radiohead at Glastonbury were dull not because of the music as much as the stillness and lack of banter. Better to be more like Dave Grohl than Tom Yorke.
[/quote]

On Radiohead (who I'm a huge fan of). It's a few years since I've seen them play live, but I found Thom an engaging front-man at regular gigs. However, I do get bored by the total lack of any sense of risk. It's all so flawless that there's no edge to it. I'm not sure that I'd make the effort to see them again, even though I love their music.

Back to the topic. Somebody just posted an FB vid of us playing last weekend. Even though it was a very cramped acoustic stage and two members of the band were seated due to the occasion, I bounced up and down a lot more than I expected. Slightly guilty of neck watching but I also do this slow L-R head shake, like 'I'm really getting into it man' or possibly disagreeing with someone. At least I don't look bored. I do make a colossal timing flub 4 bars from the end though, but because I'm the bass player nobody off stage noticed. I can't see my stage moves developing any further at my age. Decorum.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1499416160' post='3331386']

Have to say Blue if that's you in the original post pic with the Gibson T then no way you look your age of 64 mate. I would have pegged you in mid to late 40's based on those pics. You're doing something right :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

Thanks Dave,

The pics are from last Sunday at Summerfest.

Blue

You need to fit in with what the rest of the band.

Don't be 'in the wrong band'.

The only real way of doing that is to video the gigs from the back of the venue capturing the whole stage. You don't need up close shots, it's the overall band impression that needs to be coherent.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1499473386' post='3331823']
You need to fit in with what the rest of the band.

Don't be 'in the wrong band'.

The only real way of doing that is to video the gigs from the back of the venue capturing the whole stage. You don't need up close shots, it's the overall band impression that needs to be coherent.
[/quote]

Depends on the type of band your in Tim. In my band I only have control and opinions on my performance and stage presence.

Unfortunately we're not the type of band that reviews and has open discussions on this topic.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499532013' post='3332051']

Depends on the type of band your in Tim. In my band I only have control and opinions on my performance and stage presence.

Unfortunately we're not the type of band that reviews and has open discussions on this topic.

Blue
[/quote]

Blue, if your band is getting regular gigs and good feedback from audiences and promoters then things are ok.

We talk over here about rule 1 of engineering.
"If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it ".

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1499532013' post='3332051']

Blue
[/quote]

No. What I mean is, your performance needs to fit in with what the rest of the band are doing. If you're rocking it up and leaping about the stage, but everyone else is fretboard gazing and the singer is read words off a music stand, you'll look out of place. Similarly if everyone else is rocking it up and leaping about and you're fretboard gazing, then you'll also look out of place.

So for you to see what you should be doing, you need to make a reference video for yourself.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1499537878' post='3332102']

Blue, if your band is getting regular gigs and good feedback from audiences and promoters then things are ok.

We talk over here about rule 1 of engineering.
"If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it ".
[/quote]

Agreed,

I have work every week. It's why I keep my mouth shut.

Blue

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1499594913' post='3332367']

So for you to see what you should be doing, you need to make a reference video for yourself.[/quote]

I'm good, I reviewed the videos from the Frampton show and I saw a lot of improvement with my stage presence.

I never really saw or took issues with the stage presence of the other band members. I was the odd man out.

Blue

Good topic Blue, something I am also aware of. My main band is a named reggae band and with that band I'm at the back near the drummer so don't move about the stage much because the lead singer is a great showman and likes to make the most use of the stage and I don't want to get in his way. But I'm told I move a lot in my area of the stage but its not something Ireally notice myself. One thing I get told a lot is that I don't smile enough which is hard change because forcing a smile looks false and I already thought I was smiling because I'm enjoying the gig. I'm always having a good time on stage and I think I do smile a lot but I'm told I look serious a lot of the time unless someone makes a mistake in a funny place then I really laugh. With my own band Jazz/funk we are instrumental mainly and as i'm band leader I'm front of stage with the saxophonist and I'm really comfortable. Have seen many videos of us so I can critique myself and I think i do ok up front and don't have many serious concerns about it. That's not to say I don't have anything to learn about stage presence, I do and I'm learning all the time from watching other bands.