Why become a member? ×

To change or not to change?

Froggy

Im looking for some advice from more experienced players, I have a gig next Saturday, first one ever, I'm slightly scared but excited too. I'm as prepared as I can be (6 weeks to learn 20 songs, I'm winging almost all of them!) I have 2 spare batteries for my bass and 4 spares for my wireless transmitter and a set of spare strings for the bass, I can't think of anything else I might need.

The question is, the current strings on my bass have been on it for at least 18 months, since I bought it, so longer in the shop obviously. They don't seem to be showing signs of wear, and I play fingerstyle quite lightly, I don't hit the strings hard. Should I change them now, 1 week before the gig, or leave them for now and change them afterwards?

Edited by Froggy

Do they still sound reasonably bright?

Flats or Rounds?

Is it a one off gig, or the start of a run?

If they're Roundwounds, and you have a few gigs coming up, it can't hurt to change them now & play them in a bit (especially if you have a rehearsal before the gig). Especially if you're a bit anxious about it being the first gig. You have the piece of mind that you've checked your gear, and done any necessary maintenance required and everything's in top condition.

Though saying that, if you're happy with your sound, carry spares and only play lightly, then leave the old ones on.

Broadly new strings = brighter sound, but if you're happy with your sound, I'd say stick with them. I've had the same strings on my bass for 3 years now and done numerous gigs. Very much a personal preference thing here and I'm sure there will be plenty of others who regularly change their strings every 6 months.

All the best for next Saturday - hope you have a lot of fun!

They're roundwounds, currently EB slinky I assume (It's a Sterling SubRay4) and they do still sound pretty good, although I really can't tell if they're still bright or deadening. Not enough experience.

If I change them I'll be going to my favoured strings, d'addario pro steels, which would sound brighter anyway if I remember correctly.

That said, I do fancy giving flats a try at some point, although I ha e no idea why! 😂

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1498412949' post='3324398']
They're roundwounds, currently EB slinky I assume (It's a Sterling SubRay4) and they do still sound pretty good, although I really can't tell if they're still bright or deadening. Not enough experience.

If I change them I'll be going to my favoured strings, d'addario pro steels, which would sound brighter anyway if I remember correctly.

That said, I do fancy giving flats a try at some point, although I ha e no idea why! 😂
[/quote]

When you do replace the strings you might surprised how much brighter and zingier the new ones are.

String degradation happens so slowly it can be almost unnoticeable, especially if you practice every day.

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1498411847' post='3324390']
...I have a gig next Saturday...
[/quote]

At such short notice, there's no advantage in changing strings, unless there's something flagrantly wrong with 'em (better the devil you know, and all that...). Once the gig is over (and thoroughly enjoyed, I don't doubt; try to get recordings/photos/video; you never get a second 'first gig'...), then would be the time to change, or even experiment a bit. Keep what you have that you know works well for now, though.
Just my tuppence-worth, subject to correction, completion and/or contradiction from others. B)

Ha ha ha ha ..I want to try flats but have no reason why ...
Don't change you say they sound good ..if they sound good don't change it ...
I play with strings that are 5 years old and they sound better every day ..it's a personal thing ..my strings bump more than zing..
Flats have a completely different sound to roundwounds ...you can buy a set right here second hand give them a go ..I love flats also

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1498417587' post='3324442']
My advice is just focus on the music , the strings will be fine, I've spent far to much time getting bogged down in set up when I should have been practising !
[/quote]

+1! Best advice, ever. Bar none... Although...it is important to have a decent amp and cab that can cut through the mix and a bass that has a good action (and a decent tone) that makes it comfortable and easy to play, and pedals can be fun once you've got the first two sorted. Ok, best stop right there before I find I'm completely contradicting my agreement with Spencer's statement :D

Should be fine amp wise, I'm running a hartke 3500 through a hartke 4x10 and a matching hartke 1x15 whereas one of the guitarists is on a 35w combi and the other is on a 60w

must be one of the few times the bassist wins the volume wars!

[quote name='Froggy' timestamp='1498423512' post='3324547']
Should be fine amp wise, I'm running a hartke 3500 through a hartke 4x10 and a matching hartke 1x15 whereas one of the guitarists is on a 35w combi and the other is on a 60w

must be one of the few times the bassist wins the volume wars!
[/quote]

Watts alone mean nothing, though, do they..? We have a 50w Laney VC50 which would drown any Hartke, and set alight the far wall of most venues..! :lol: I think the original design purpose was for use in blasting open bank vaults. Darned heavy blighter, too..!
No, seriously, you'll be fine with such a rig, despite it being probably overkill. Good luck with the gig; the traditional theatrical term is 'Break a leg..!', but you may prefer the slightly softer French version: 'Merde..!'. :o

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1498416384' post='3324425']
When you do replace the strings you might surprised how much brighter and zingier the new ones are.

String degradation happens so slowly it can be almost unnoticeable, especially if you practice every day.
[/quote]
I always use Pro Steels and I'm always surprised how bright they sound when I change them. For your first gig I would stick with what you've got - one less thing to worry about. Enjoy - I can still remember my first gig more than a lot of others since!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1498418706' post='3324467']
have a back up plan where you don't use the wireless and just plug straight in.
[/quote]

I'd recommend going completely wired for your first gig. Wireless can be finnicky & could really trip you up if something goes wrong.

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1498429537' post='3324615']
I'd recommend going completely wired for your first gig. Wireless can be finnicky & could really trip you up if something goes wrong.
[/quote]

But that would totally ruin the choreography..! :o

http://youtu.be/ttdZjL5NWCc

Im looking for some advice from more experienced players, I have a gig next Saturday, first one ever, I'm slightly scared but excited too. I'm as prepared as I can be (6 weeks to learn 20 songs, I'm winging almost all of them!) [/quote]

Personally, even after 50 years of playing, I've never had much luck "winging it"

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1498724024' post='3326521']
Personally, even after 50 years of playing, I've never had much luck "winging it"

Blue
[/quote]
Froggy my friend (and apparently neighbour!), don't know how much prep you've done so far or what the 'status' of the gig is, so: do whatever additional learning/practice you can in the short time remaining; approach the gig in a positive state of mind; on the night, just 'feel the music' and keep the body language confident whatever happens; then after the event you'll know how lucky/unlucky you've been 'winging it'! If what you've done this time doesn't work, then you can do something different next time!

Im looking for some advice from more experienced players, I have a gig next Saturday, first one ever, I'm slightly scared but excited too. I'm as prepared as I can be (6 weeks to learn 20 songs, I'm winging almost all of them!) I have 2 spare batteries for my bass and 4 spares for my wireless transmitter and a set of spare strings for the bass, I can't think of anything else I might need.

The question is, the current strings on my bass have been on it for at least 18 months, since I bought it, so longer in the shop obviously. They don't seem to be showing signs of wear, and I play fingerstyle quite lightly, I don't hit the strings hard. Should I change them now, 1 week before the gig, or leave them for now and change them afterwards?
[/quote]

Do they sound ok? If yes... leave them.

Do you use effects? Overdrive/distortion in particular? If the answer is yes... beware a fresh roundwound string will be noticeably brighter and your overdrives will sound a lot grittier, so make sure you get a good practice with the new strings to figure out your gain levels again.

I'm not sure where this idea has come from that a week before a gig is too late to change strings?

Have i missed something? I've regularly changed mine the day before a gig - as long as you keep giving them a good stretch and play them a good bit before the gig they will have settled down and will stay in tune no problem. I did exactly that last weekend.

Quite whether the change in sound was appreciated by the punters is a different matter tho! I should have asked them both...