Why become a member? ×

Another confession

seashell

Keep it simple (root, fifth and no more than the occasional cheeky run) and the audience take it seriously, so for all the jokey comments this thread will get, don't be seen to be not taking it seriously. I've never played C&W but I've been around the country / country rock / bluegrass / Americana / Roots circuit for a very long time.

All good answers, thanks chaps. Roots and fifths is my kind of bass line, lol :-) Deffo going to wear a checked shirt and cowboy hat, but might have to leave off the spurs due to Health and Safety regulations.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1498047667' post='3322195']
.....don't be seen to be not taking it seriously. I've never played C&W but I've been around the country / country rock / bluegrass / Americana / Roots circuit for a very long time.
[/quote]

Good advice for any performance situation I think. You've got to respect the audience. You can have fun, but you don't want them to think you're taking the piss out of them.

Don't forget to throw in the old classic "How long does it take to tune a banjo? Nobody knows...... " at some point. :D

(I should probably point out that my step-daughter plays banjo in her alt-folk band and this is part of her regular stage-banter. Even her banjo-playing father has been known to smile wryly on occasion... ).

I play bass in a country band, and root/fifth is definitely [i]not[/i] all there is to it! You also need to be up on the following approaches - a quick listen to a track will tell you which one(s) to use:

Root/5th e.g. Truck Drivin' Man (Boxcar Willie)
Pop e.g Peaceful Easy Feeling (The Eagles)
Boogie - R356 e.g. Boot Scootin' Boogie (Brooks & Dunn)
Walking - a bit like Boogie but with chromatic runs
Latin/syncopated e.g I Just Wanna Dance With You (George Strait)
Mixtures of the above
None of the above!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1498064980' post='3322325']I play bass in a country band, and root/fifth is definitely [i]not[/i] all there is to it! [/quote]

Good post Graeme. I was one to flippantly say R5 etc but there is so much more to it. I still subscribe to keeping it simple within that genre but plenty of room for walking lines and a range of other techniques.

Oh and in terms of tone, the gold standard is probably a flatwound strung P-bass with foam under the bridge (or an upright depending on the type of country) but when I've been out in the US players have proven that you can use anything from a Hofner to an old Hohner!

I reckon you'll enjoy it. Certainly it's the most fun I've had with my boots on! :ph34r:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1498045804' post='3322179']
I'm going to be doing a gig with a Country and Western band soon! :)

There may be waistcoats and cowboy hats, and there will definitely be a banjo :ph34r:

Really looking forward to it. Any tips for getting an authentic C&W vibe?
[/quote]
Get used to playing two notes per bar, on a precision bass.
Remember there are two kinds : country AND western (see the blues brothers movie)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1498071683' post='3322385']
Just a bit of jesting from folks, I think.
:)
[/quote]

No worries, and no huffiness intended, I do get the joke. I genuinely wanted to share some of the approaches and save others from potential embarrassment - if you turn up at a country bass audition, and all you have in the bag is root/5th, you will soon be leaving said audition!

[quote name='tony_m' timestamp='1498064684' post='3322324']
Don't forget to throw in the old classic "How long does it take to tune a banjo? Nobody knows...... " at some point. :D

(I should probably point out that my step-daughter plays banjo in her alt-folk band and this is part of her regular stage-banter. Even her banjo-playing father has been known to smile wryly on occasion... ).
[/quote]

Last Sunday, old strings off, cleaned, oiled fingerboard, restrung, tuned = about 30 minutes but I wasn't rushing and I swear it was in tune. :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1498078678' post='3322442']
Last Sunday, old strings off, cleaned, oiled fingerboard, restrung, tuned = about 30 minutes but I wasn't rushing and I swear it was in tune. :D
[/quote]

Next time I see Ruthie I'll tell her to stop slacking then!!! :D

I went to see a Country and Western band that wanted me to join them ,a few years ago...I was terrified when the audience all stated firing their six guns into the air ...I kid you not this did happen ( along with the line dancing) I decided that it was not for me.

It may not happen now of course ...it was some thirty years ago but just be aware 'shell.

Edited by Raymondo

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1498079443' post='3322450']
I went to see a Country and Western band that wanted me to join them ,a few years ago...I was terrified when the audience all stated firing there six guns into the air ...I kid you not this did happen ( along with the line dancing) I decided that it was not for me.

It may not happen now of course ...it was some thirty years ago but just be aware 'shell.
[/quote]

That happens at so-called Western clubs - they try to dress in the styles prevalent during the American Civil War, hold shoot-outs (with blanks), and undertake a flag raising and lowering ceremony synchronised to a live or recorded rendition of the American Trilogy (as made famous by one Elvis Presley). What 20th/21st century electrified folk music (i.e. country music) has to do with this I haven't a clue, but as long as they keep paying us I won't complain too much.

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1498079443' post='3322450']
I went to see a Country and Western band that wanted me to join them ,a few years ago...I was terrified when the audience all stated firing there six guns into the air ...I kid you not this did happen ( along with the line dancing) I decided that it was not for me.

[/quote]
Haha, that sounds brilliant!

I think I've been guilty of bigging this up a bit. I'm not doing the full set, just guesting on a few songs. But it's all part of my evil plan to worm my way in with them, mwaa haa. :D

Also they're not that hardcore. There will be some folky and pop stuff as well.

I will be playing a P bass with halfwounds - I do like a thumpy sound anyway. I might try that sponge under the bridge thing that some of you recommend as well.

And if I can get anywhere near a mic, the banjo joke's definitely in. I'm such a show off, lol :-)

Edited by seashell

[quote name='Raymondo' timestamp='1498118317' post='3322567']...I must apologise for misspelling their :blush:...
[/quote]

Misspelling their [i]what[/i]..?

That's the usefulness of inverted commas, to denote that it's a quote from the original post, and so...

...I must apologise for misspelling 'their'. :blush:...

;) :D :P