Why become a member? ×

Punters wanting to talk to you when you're playing.

Les

Those of you playing stadiums 30 feet from the audience with a ring of steel around you won't know what I'm on about but you weekend warriors in pubs certainly will.

What do you do ?

We had a bloke wanting to talk to me last night, between songs he was aking if we did any Garth Brookes, told him we didn't but he wouldn't let it go, then want's to know why ?

We're reasonably slick with our programmng, patter, cues to start etc and it's quite a smooth show but this caused a slight hiccup and had me having to ask what the next song was before we set off in our usual slick style. No real damage but we skipped a beat and it certainly didn't entertain anyone in the audience.

I have no idea why people would want to do this but they do and have done it would seem since the dawn of time.

It prompted a bit of a band discussion and we decide there and then that it's now band policy to look the miscreant in the eye, shake your head in a negative and then turn away from them and ignore their attempts at nattering.

How do you guys deal with this ?

Les

I picked up a tip from someone on here that has worked the one and only time I needed it which was to say 'that is later/ in the second half' and the guy went away happy, when we didn't play it he came up and the end and I just told him we had run out of time but would play it next time. He was half soaked and seemed happy with that.

The last time somebody came up on stage, with some random song request, I just screamed at him to 'f*** off!'.

Shouting 'f*** off!' at people is not, normally, in my character. But if you are so ignorant as to clamber on stage and shout in my face while I'm playing, you deserve everything you get.

He turned around and tootled off with a downtrodden look and his tail between his legs. I felt so bad about it that, after we had finished our set, I tried to find him and apologise. unfortunately, by then he had left. I hope my response hadn't traumatised him too much.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1496581094' post='3312416']
The last time somebody came up on stage, with some random song request, I just screamed at him to 'f*** off!'.

Shouting 'f*** off!' at people is not, normally, in my character. But if you are so ignorant as to clamber on stage and shout in my face while I'm playing, you deserve everything you get.

He turned around and tootled off with a downtrodden look and his tail between his legs. I felt so bad about it that, after we had finished our set, I tried to find him and apologise. unfortunately, by then he had left. I hope my response hadn't traumatised him too much.
[/quote]

Calling Buzz Killington.... 😀

But seriously, a bold but effective move.

Between songs is manageable for me - as long as they speak loud and clear. It's where you're mid song that really perplexes. This isn't a damn disco! However, I think this practice is an overspill from discos, who generally encourage them to come up. Another facet of how punters seem to understand how to react to live music less and less nowadays...

I might try shouting 'Foff' at them next time.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1496580340' post='3312407']
Those of you playing stadiums 30 feet from the audience with a ring of steel around you won't know what I'm on about but you weekend warriors in pubs certainly will.

What do you do ?

We had a bloke wanting to talk to me last night, between songs he was aking if we did any Garth Brookes, told him we didn't but he wouldn't let it go, then want's to know why ?

We're reasonably slick with our programmng, patter, cues to start etc and it's quite a smooth show but this caused a slight hiccup and had me having to ask what the next song was before we set off in our usual slick style. No real damage but we skipped a beat and it certainly didn't entertain anyone in the audience.

I have no idea why people would want to do this but they do and have done it would seem since the dawn of time.

It prompted a bit of a band discussion and we decide there and then that it's now band policy to look the miscreant in the eye, shake your head in a negative and then turn away from them and ignore their attempts at nattering.

How do you guys deal with this ?

Les
[/quote]
Is there anyone here playing stadium size gigs? Not as a support band.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1496583753' post='3312446']

No idea who jtuk is.
[/quote]

Regular poster on 'ere who apparently plays stadiums.

But I guess that was somewhat obvious. I apologise for this Indiana Jones-esque post.

I get the impression that Jus Lukin does some good gigs, too...

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1496580509' post='3312409']
I picked up a tip from someone on here that has worked the one and only time I needed it which was to say 'that is later/ in the second half' and the guy went away happy, when we didn't play it he came up and the end and I just told him we had run out of time but would play it next time. He was half soaked and seemed happy with that.
[/quote]

I've used this approach for many years & it usually works well. However there's always the odd occasion when at the end they then want to tell you what else should be in your set & other songs that you should learn!!

Some possibilities:

- Reply with a long series of phrases in a foreign language.
- Execute an exaggerated gallic shrug.
- Point to the back of the room as though they will fond their answer over there.
- Over the mic, say 'That's a very kind offer but I'm already spoken for'.

Couldn't believe it the first time it happened to me... is this guy really trying to talk to me while I'm playing? Luckily blanking people is my secret superpower.... I don't even realise I'm doing it most of the time.

I remember someone engaging the vocalist while he was trying to sing once. He told us later that the conversation was something like..."you're a f*****g pretty boy aren't you... I'm going to throw you off this stage and jump all over you..." etc etc... insert extra effing and jeffing as required.

There's always Pete Townsend's response to Abi Hoffman at Woodstock... although I think Mr Townsend now denies it ever happened.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1496586300' post='3312466']

I remember someone engaging the vocalist while he was trying to sing once. He told us later that the conversation was something like..."you're a f*****g pretty boy aren't you... I'm going to throw you off this stage and jump all over you..." etc etc... insert extra effing and jeffing as required.
[/quote]

Exactly this happened to me a few years ago whilst singing and playing 'Auld Lang Syne' at 12.01am playing a crappy pub NYE. I carried on, but was fairly sure I was going to die. He did seem to have a knife, I suppose.

The guy had earlier tried to bribe us to 'play something I know' whilst pulling out a rolled wad of notes big enough to choke a horse. The landlord was clearly cacking himself, which was when we found out he was the local 'legitimate businessman'. Gulp.

I stopped playing pub gigs for a while after that.

Edited by Tonteee

My group plays jazz standards, and these seem to draw the temporarily enchanted (or tipsy) partygoers like flies. (To honey, that is.) They usually want to tell you--while you're trying to work through the tricky B part you've never actually nailed--that they haven't heard "How High the Moon" in a long, long time. One wishes it had been longer. The only thing to do is smile and nod. If you speak, you regret it.

At pub gigs, we've had people (read: aggressive drunks) demand Oasis and Stone Roses songs even though we:

1. Only play originals and advertise ourselves as such.
2. Are stylistically a quite proggy folk-rock band.
3. Our singer is a Hungarian woman and speaks and sings with a very strong accent (hence the band name).
4. We don't have a drum kit but do have a violinist.

Basically we try and avoid the weekend warrior circuit. Those are the only venues where it seemed to happen.

As much as I like the f**k off idea, especially down the mic I'm looking for a more "pro" solution :lol:

Think we'll try the negative shake of the head and ignoring, doesn't happen that often I suppose.

thank you all

Les

We get punters doing this with monotonous regularity. In certain cases, I will reply "I dont have a single recording by ****** in my house, as I detest them".

Last week, some woman would not believe that I had never heard The Zoo by The Scorpions ever in my life. I still haven't heard it - or anything else by them - and I am none the poorer for it.

If they really want to irritate me they can ask for something by Meatloaf, I will either give them "There are not 10 people and a load of backing tapes, like he has, in this trio" or if it's between sets, the real reason - the local Meatloaf impersonator that he sued big time.

I am getting a shorter fuse with some of the dorks. I will not go through everything we do or show them a setlist before the gig, either.

Edited by 12stringbassist