Why become a member? ×

Venues You Don't Want To Play Anymore

blue

can't think of many venues I wouldn't go back to. It's rarely the venue that's the problem, usually it's the management or the promoters and the management can change. I have a very long list of promoters who I wouldn't play for again, especially on the up and comers circuit in London where they seem to forget that "promote" is part of their job title and think that if they hire a cheap venue in Camden on a Tuesday night the punters will come flowing through the doors without the need to even mention that there's a gig on to anybody...

The worst gig I ever played where it was the venue's fault was at the Red Lion in Brentford (many moons ago when it was a seriously well known rock venue) to find that the landlord was on holiday and the replacement manager had an idea about using a db meter set to go off if my amp went above zero (I am not making this up). We played four songs to a half empty room and decided it really wasn't worth the bother, apologised to the (sparse) crowd and walked off, wondering how it was that Micky Moody managed to play a whole gig the previous week. the manager still tried to sell us a video of our performance. On his return from holiday the landlord was mortified to find out what had gone on in his absence (I assume we weren't the only ones who were unhappy) and rang to apologise.

Edited by Monkey Steve

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1495791109' post='3306583']
Just remembered a strange little place in Soho that some others of this parish must surely have played - anyone else been to Jazz After Dark?
[/quote]

Yes - I used to play there about 15 years ago.

We didn't get paid much, and had to buy our own soft drinks.

It was nearly always empty, apart from a few drunks.

The ceiling on stage was lower than the height of my double bass...

The bouncer was a moron. We would go outside between sets to get some air, informing him on our way out who we were and what we were doing. But nevertheless, upon returning, he would never let us back in!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1495713528' post='3306065']
There's a place in Bracknell called The Cellar Bar
[/quote]

In my opinion, one of the biggest problems that The Cellar Bar has always faced is its location. It's out of the town centre, about a half hour walk from the nearest train station, so when you're trying to get your friends to come along you have to warn them that they'll need to designate a driver. It gets no passing traffic whatsoever.

I view it as one of those venues that exists to give new bands gigging experience, but you're never going to grow your fanbase there. The lack of passing trade means that you're generally just playing to the people you've brought along, the other bands (assuming they stick around) and the people that the other bands brought (assuming they stick around).

S.P.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1495742210' post='3306322']
Anyone play in a bar or pub where you had to set up in front of the entrance to the bathrooms?
[/quote]

Yep, a few weeks ago, so there was a steady stream of people going through us to get there.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1495814800' post='3306846']

Yes - I used to play there about 15 years ago.

We didn't get paid much, and had to buy our own soft drinks.

It was nearly always empty, apart from a few drunks.

The ceiling on stage was lower than the height of my double bass...

The bouncer was a moron. We would go outside between sets to get some air, informing him on our way out who we were and what we were doing. But nevertheless, upon returning, he would never let us back in!
[/quote]

He'd heard your first set :lol:

The Kings Arms in Houghton Regis. Played a couple of years ago on the saturday b4 christmas. Had a tiny set up area in front of the entrance to the loos. A lot of the people were paralytic, several fights were on the verge of erupting and it was all just very intimidating. Some of my mates have had good gigs there but I vowed not to go back. Felt very uncomfortable.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1495717736' post='3306102']

I've heard it's under new management as of a couple of weeks ago - has anyone been in since they changed hands?
[/quote]

We played under both of the last two managements. To be fair, the girl that booked us the second time (about a year ago) seemed slightly more on the ball, but the whole combined experience made me not ever want to play there again.

Has anyone played The Iron Road in Evesham? We contacted them, being impressed as we were with the venue and thinking that we'd be a good fit for them. The response we received was, er, interesting. Kind of put us off wanting to play there at all.

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1495829807' post='3306980']
The Kings Arms in Houghton Regis. Played a couple of years ago on the saturday b4 christmas. Had a tiny set up area in front of the entrance to the loos. A lot of the people were paralytic, several fights were on the verge of erupting and it was all just very intimidating. Some of my mates have had good gigs there but I vowed not to go back. Felt very uncomfortable.
[/quote]

My band has a regular gig there, the first time we played there was pretty much as you described but since then it's got better and we usually have a good gig. The idea is that the punters use the loos in the other bar once the band has set up but you always get some moron trying to use them even though all the amps and drums are in the way.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1495830876' post='3306993']
Has anyone played The Iron Road in Evesham? We contacted them, being impressed as we were with the venue and thinking that we'd be a good fit for them. The response we received was, er, interesting. Kind of put us off wanting to play there at all.
[/quote]
What was the interesting response?

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1495875927' post='3307195']

What was the interesting response?
[/quote]

It was very curt and aloof, and the general tone was that 'we will decide who is worthy of playing here and if you are deigned worthy you will be very honoured to be contacted by us'. At first we thought it was a wind up, it was that funny. A simple 'thanks but no thanks' would have sufficed. It reminded me of booking gigs in London in the late 80s.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1495880797' post='3307262']

It was very curt and aloof, and the general tone was that 'we will decide who is worthy of playing here and if you are deigned worthy you will be very honoured to be contacted by us'. At first we thought it was a wind up, it was that funny. A simple 'thanks but no thanks' would have sufficed. It reminded me of booking gigs in London in the late 80s.
[/quote]
Makes me think of the 'we're not worthy' sketch in Wayne's world :lol: Not surprised you didn't bother with them with that attitude.

[/quote]

Similar experience. Try the swan in Cheltenham instead. Ade the landlord is in a band and is a proper legend.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1495907301' post='3307513']

Similar experience. Try the swan in Cheltenham instead. Ade the landlord is in a band and is a proper legend.
[/quote]

Thanks for the steer dude, I'll look them up 😊

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1496048999' post='3308300']
Red Lion Brentford, South Hill Park, Cellar Bar... man, this thread is bringing back some really great memories. [i]*wistful sigh*[/i]
[/quote]

When you start out you think that at some stage you're going to hit paydirt and be playing to sold out rooms.

The Cellar Bar could be so good; they have no problem selling out for Friday night comedy, hell, I've seen pretty much every mainstream comedian there at some stage or another. Music not so much.

Many moons ago (the mid Seventies) we were booked to play at a pub in Redmile in the vale of Belvoir.

It was a well know venue and we were excited at being booked there to play on a Sunday afternoon.

We were guided to the "function room" alongside the pub and were a little bit surprised to be asked if they could put a tape player through our PA.

It transpires that we were "supporting" a stripper! :gas:

we played three sets and in-between them a "lady" would come on and remove her clothes to the taped music.

Our drummer kindly offered to operate the machine ( we were eighteen and desperately happy to be around a naked female :ph34r: ).

We played to a completely empty room....Stripper...packed the place out ...we come back on, not one person stayed. :o

It was nice seeing some boobies but completely soul destroying to play.

We refused further gigs there.

Edited by Raymondo

[/quote]

"Interesting" is the word! Well, they ignored all my attempts at correspondence so you got further than me. That is a shame, it looked like a good venue and all...