Why become a member? ×

Any famous guitarists good at playing bass?

Jenny_Innie

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494325663' post='3294944']
Sorry. You didn't say that you were looking to be "convinced" - just asking for suggestions as you couldn't think of any.

Maybe try being a bit more specific in your questioning if you wish for a specific answer. BTW, what [i][b]would[/b][/i] convince you? :huh:
[/quote]

I'm not actually bothered what the OP thinks. This has been a most enlightening thread. I never knew Keef played bass on anything. It probably explains why I like some rolling stones basslines and can't make head or tail of others

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494267987' post='3294566']
[indent=1]I'm not convinced by any of the comments so far. Maybe Paul McCartney. Otherwise ...... pfffft![/indent]
[/quote]

If You mean Electric Bass Guitar? Then it is a "[b]Guitar[/b]" all "Fender Bass" players play them...

Sorry of already mentioned - Kenny Kravitz
Primarily a guitarist but plays much bass. I believe the first album is all Lenny on bass and there is some really lovely playing on there.
Check out the middle break in "does anybody out there even care" - fantastic bass playing

Ron thal.

In fact, I'd hazard a guess that a good few of the virtueso guitarists out there can easily hold their own on bass.

My mate wrote and recorded his own metal album. He's a Great guitarist but he also done the bass... and it sounds great! I think metal guitarist techniques would transfer quite easily into a bass.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1494335272' post='3295064']
Can I mention Greg Lake?
[/quote]

Wouldn't risk it mate, he might not be convincing enough.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1494276766' post='3294686']
Carole Kaye was teaching guitar at 14 and played guitar on 'La Bamba' before turning to bass,Played both on a lot of sessions.

Remarkable musician IMO.
[/quote]
Good. And girl power. What's not to like.

[quote name='Jenny_Innie' timestamp='1494340804' post='3295120']
I'm unconvinced.
[/quote]

Well since you've made no effort to provide any context, nobody has a clue what your criteria are. What's to stop you making exactly the same remark ad infinitum?

In fact, if I were of a cynical disposition I might start wondering whether this has anything to do with guitarists or bassists at all. I might go further and wonder whether this isn't just a pot-stirring exercise...

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1494341331' post='3295128']
So Carole Kaye starting out on guitar & moving to bass is OK but Sting doing the same thing isn't?
[/quote]

I'm not sure it's worth arguing... :rolleyes:

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1494341712' post='3295132']
Well since you've made no effort to provide any context, nobody has a clue what your criteria are. What's to stop you making exactly the same remark ad infinitum?

In fact, if I were of a cynical disposition I might start wondering whether this has anything to do with guitarists or bassists at all. I might go further and wonder whether this isn't just a pot-stirring exercise...
[/quote]

Bing

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494341725' post='3295133']
I'm not sure it's worth arguing... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It's not, I'm just genuinely puzzled by the purpose of this thread & the criteria being used to decide who is & who isn't "suitable".
Maybe I'm just overthinking it...

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1494268649' post='3294574']
Most excellent guitarists I've come across have been excellent on bass. I suspect the idea that guitarists can't 'really' get into playing bass well might be a myth.
Didn't Waters, Foxton etc switch from guitar?
[/quote]

Yes, Bruce Foxton certainly switched from guitar to bass. And what a bass player :)

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1494342416' post='3295148']
Yes, Bruce Foxton certainly switched from guitar to bass. And what a bass player :)
[/quote]

Same with Paul McCartney, Jean Jaques Burnell and Duff McKagan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494342922' post='3295156']
I think we all are... ;)
[/quote]

Not me: not anymore. There's plenty of evidence been provided here of players who would satisfy any reasonable interpretation of the OP, and if the thread instigator is unconvinced then (not to appear unduly harsh or dismissive but) so what?

I'm out.

Edited by leftybassman392