Why become a member? ×

Sudden decision

Kevin Dean

I play with a good band and we play some nice venues and festivals for pretty decent money. On the other hand we do also play some toilet venues just for the cash (we go out under a different name for these gigs).

It helps, in these situations, that the band is good and I enjoy playing with them. Playing crappy venues to knuckledraggers is bad enough but if the band was crap, I'd probably prefer to be sat at home watching TV.

Recently I depped for a band in a nice venue and for decent money. The problem was that the drummer was so shockingly bad that, from the first song, I just wanted to grab my gear and run. They asked me back again, the next week, and I had to turn them down, even though the money was good, because every minute I was playing with that drummer was torture.

I know......I'm a Diva :)

Edited by gjones

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1494153839' post='3293641']

Two sides of the same coin really. The OP isn't having such a good time and you are. That you enjoy 100 percent commitment to a band is a special thing if not actually rare. I think it is something that a lot of us wish for. Certainly, I prefer the all or nothing approach with things of this nature.

It is frustrating for me that I can't go any further with bass until I forge good links with others in the area unlike motorcycling where I only needed myself, the bike and the open road. I am working on that. I can appreciate that there are players who have to keep doing tunes they don't like in unhelpful circumstances to pay the bills too.

I am only a hobbyist (hobbyer?) however.
[/quote]

I've played in bands that weren't fun and subsequently left them.Those were poor choices on my part.

But, that's not my case right now and I'm still having a blast.

Blue

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1494154226' post='3293647']
I play with a good band and we play some nice venues and festivals for pretty decent money. On the other hand we do also play some toilet venues just for the cash (we go out under a different name for these gigs).

It helps, in these situations, that the band is good and I enjoy playing with them. Playing crappy venues to knuckledraggers is bad enough but if the band was crap, I'd probably prefer to be sat at home watching TV.

Recently I depped for a band in a nice venue and for decent money. The problem was that the drummer was so shockingly bad that, from the first song, I just wanted to grab my gear and run. They asked me back again, the next week, and I had to turn them down, even though the money was good, because every minute I was playing with that drummer was torture.

I know......I'm a Diva :)
[/quote]

We've all been there, the bad drummer experience.

I don't let it bother me anymore. Experience has taught me to go out there and be the best bass player I can be regardless of what the drummer is doing.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1494145780' post='3293544']
I'm pretty much addicted to gigging. If I have too big a gap in the calendar I start seeking out jam nights and open mics...

I feel dirty now :(
[/quote]
That's pretty much all I get.
Sometimes ....

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494152705' post='3293633']
I have never thought about any of that stuff.

My identity?

I'm just having fun playing in a rock band.

Blue
[/quote]

And that too, of course. Perhaps the other matters can become more of an issue when you find you need to make a change for whatever reason. Like you, I'm hoping for another few years, before I have to deal with any of that.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1494149820' post='3293590']
That's a good point Rhys - so much of peoples' sense of identity is wrapped up in what they do, and even more so with musicians, IMHO. It's certainly the case for me. Whether it's to provide some consolation that our life isn't as ordinary or mundane as the next man, or to give us some sense of belonging to a special tribe of some sort, along with satisfying our ego with the chance of recognition by the public and our peers. Sorry if I'm getting a bit too deep and philosophical! :blink:
[/quote]
The identity thing is certainly true for me, but I don't see it as a negative thing - it's (a large part) of what I am and what I do...!

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1494155743' post='3293660']
And that too, of course. Perhaps the other matters can become more of an issue when you find you need to make a change for whatever reason. Like you, I'm hoping for another few years, before I have to deal with any of that.
[/quote]
Age doesn't have to be an issue. There is a guy on this forum who lives up the road from me who has just turned 70 and is still gigging regularly in 3 different pub bands. He keeps getting lighter weight gear in deference of his age and associated back problems, but the next time you see him he is back with his old valve amp and massive cab.

Your identity is all about your actions and what you say.

You can change your identity whenever you want and only your name stays the same.

When you take up a new hobby/job then your circle of friends alters and often you find out that you were only friends with some people because you have a common interest. It's quite profound.

It's something a lot of my running friends find hard to do when they're injured. They can't run so unless they come out and support at races they lose their main interest in life.

Best have several hobbies and different circles of friends that occasionally meet outside of the hobby circle.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1494161575' post='3293694']
Age doesn't have to be an issue. There is a guy on this forum who lives up the road from me who has just turned 70 and is still gigging regularly in 3 different pub bands. He keeps getting lighter weight gear in deference of his age and associated back problems, but the next time you see him he is back with his old valve amp and massive cab.
[/quote]

Brilliant - and long may he continue! I'm a good deal younger than him, but I'm determined to keep playing as long as I physically can, as long as there's someone who wants me to play. Or even if there isn't, I could do the solo looping thing... :lol:

Hey that sounds good Kev. Spending the journey with folk you enjoy and who can encourage, support and stretch you is definitely a big part. Finding ways of keeping things fresh in terms of new material (or writing and recording your own) / being creative musically so that things don't feel like a stale rut, for me is another important part. Trying to learn something new, regularly and often, that definitely helps... I was struck by the saying that we overestimate what we can achieve in 3 months, but equally underestimate what we can, with effort, achieve in 3 years. At least till we get to hang up our basses when we reach 70, right? :)

Looking forward to the YouTube demos.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1494185850' post='3293905']

Brilliant - and long may he continue! I'm a good deal younger than him, but I'm determined to keep playing as long as I physically can, as long as there's someone who wants me to play. Or even if there isn't, I could do the solo looping thing... :lol:
[/quote]
Just seen Neil Murray in Snakecharmer tonight, playing a half full theatre in a small Yorkshire town. I sneaked back into the room after the show to check out the rig he was using, only to find Neil chatting with the roadcrew and helping to pack his own gear down. He has to be well into his mid 60s and this gig is hardly the highlight of his career, but if he is still happy to be out there playing I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be...!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494154614' post='3293653']
We've all been there, the bad drummer experience.

I don't let it bother me anymore. Experience has taught me to go out there and be the best bass player I can be regardless of what the drummer is doing.

Blue
[/quote]

Does not work for me. As the rhythm section, I completely rely on the drummer to be on the money in order to play well. If the drummer is having an off night and time keeping in particular is a concern, then I find it impossible to lock in, find my groove and for me that sucks. When the drummer is playing well it brings out the best in my playing

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1494199792' post='3293996']

Just seen Neil Murray in Snakecharmer tonight, playing a half full theatre in a small Yorkshire town. I sneaked back into the room after the show to check out the rig he was using, only to find Neil chatting with the roadcrew and helping to pack his own gear down. He has to be well into his mid 60s and this gig is hardly the highlight of his career, but if he is still happy to be out there playing I don't see any reason why we shouldn't be...!
[/quote]

Some of us are happy.

I have friends that are truly "top shelf" musicians but have no gigs and can't find the right people to play with.

Somehow, 6 years ago I ran into the right people, and the right band.

They were established and doing what I wanted to do.

While they're good musicians, the real key to why things have been good is because they're good people. Not the best musicians. Some of the best musicians are not even fit to be in a band.

If my band folds, I'm done. I'm so spoiled from working with cool people and now have 0 tolerance for any kind nonsense or monkey business.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1494200060' post='3293997']

Does not work for me. As the rhythm section, I completely rely on the drummer to be on the money in order to play well. If the drummer is having an off night and time keeping in particular is a concern, then I find it impossible to lock in, find my groove and for me that sucks. When the drummer is playing well it brings out the best in my playing
[/quote]

I pride myself on not getting frustrated dealing with "bad drummer" issues. It's part of being in a band. It's part of my job.

It's not about my requirements.It's about how can I make this work. What's good or makes sense for the band.

At 64, I'm still not a great bass player, but I know what I'm doing. And it took a long time to get here.

Blue

Edited by blue

I can't remember the last time I just played bass & not do the PA , book gigs & transport , it's when someone said "you're a free platform for the other members egos " ..& watching them miss treat the equipment , I often wondered what if I just threw the guitarist amp around as he did when reluctantly moving a PA cab & the singer didn't even provide his own SM58 , I also considered turning up to a gig with no bass & asking the singer if he had one I could borrow .

Like many bassists I usually end up doing PA, organising rehearsals and doing the bookings. Fortunately in my case most of the time people realise the work you put in and although you do work harder everyone else did muck in if asked. In my last band someone else did bookings but they offered to put aside some of the gig fees to pay for leads and extras for the PA. A bit embarrassing as a couple of them were pretty hard up at the time but I really appreciated the recognition of what I was putting in.

You'll find the right people out there. Hope you can get the fun back into music again.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1494197638' post='3293990']
for now I'm going to just do some youtube demo type stuff , I guess a lot of it is working with the right people .
[/quote]

Cool.

I hope you post linkage here when you've got summat.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1494221474' post='3294021']
I can't remember the last time I just played bass & not do the PA , book gigs & transport , it's when someone said "you're a free platform for the other members egos " ..& watching them miss treat the equipment , I often wondered what if I just threw the guitarist amp around as he did when reluctantly moving a PA cab & the singer didn't even provide his own SM58 , I also considered turning up to a gig with no bass & asking the singer if he had one I could borrow .
[/quote]

If you do find another band I'd like to think that you will get your chance to let someone else carry the torch so to speak.

I know from what you've said that you aren't going to be that band member. It isn't in your nature. Don't let the buggers grind you down. You should be proud to have made it happen for the other band members.

I fdind myself at age 72 9/10 (grin) having to decide where to go next.
The singer in my main gig of many years died very recently after fighting cancer for a couple of years.
Only 3 of us left, plus our pal Tony who has been covering on keys and some vocals whilst singer was ill.
We have one gig left in the book in September and I rather suspect none of us has the energy or "wanna" to try and keep the band going.
So I already have a few dep jobs lined up, some friends have volunteered themselves as "ny" band & booked me a gig with them in July.
Also have NYE booked. So my question is with all these odds and ends plus a little teahing on the side, is this going to be enough to satisfy my gig itch? After an embarrassingly long time of gigging very regularly, I hate to drop iut, but....

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1494146077' post='3293551']
So how does it happen , you get to a gig and you strap on your bass and you no longer have that good "come alive" energy rush feeling?
[/quote]
it can be exactly that, for me it happened in the middle of a show (i was front man of the band), i looked out at the 5 people in the pub we were playing, the guitarist had been complaining about the sound and i just decided i didn't want to do it anymore.

you are by your own admission very lucky, you don't have to deal with the politics and stuff that cause the frustrations, you can to an extent, turn up, play and go home paid.

a lot of us have to be the band organiser, book gigs, practice, recording etc. if you have spent 2 weeks debating with a promoter about backline, and then having to deal with the guitarist moaning about the house backline not having "his sound"... by the time you get to the gig (assuming it hasn't been pulled last minute, or your drummer decides he is double booked despite being told 3 months ago) and no one has shown up, you stand there wondering "what's the point?"... repeat that a number of times and the love just goes.

i've not played gigs for 3 years now, and whilst i would love to get on stage the pile of bullshit you have to wade through to get to that stage puts me off.

Wow! Surprised by how gigging is seen as a chore by many. I'm 62, been playing since 10 y/o, gigging since 15. Have gigged as a drummer, singer, guitar player, harmonica player and bass player. I love to gig! I've always used gig money to get great gear, so it didn't come out of house funds. I also love to practice, where you get creative to make your parts better, and love to teach, to pass on tid-bits of knowledge and see students progress. music is a gift and I feel blessed to be able to use it in my and others' lives.

I've never tired of gigging. The only thing that has pushed me close to the edge is internal band politics. I'm very fortunate now to gig with a bunch of guys that play as often as I want, are good musicians and who get along just fine. We don't play that much, but sometimes less is more.

I think I can relate to the OP from when I used to run my own functions band.

It was when I finally split with my ex wife some years ago, that I realised why I was doing all the running around organising the gigs, moving the PA, putting up with muso based grief ect. It was so I could get out and away from her! I wasn't confronting the real problem. When we finally split up, I had so much more time on my hands. There I was loading/squeezing the PA into my car at 1.00 am whilst the rest of the band, now paid, had skipped off home as usual that I suddenly thought "why am I doing this to myself ? What as things stand, is in it for me?" I'd been silently and without realising it ,putting up with a lot because it was better than being at home. Like the OP I made a split decision after this gig and that was that.
Started deping for others and just folded the functions band. I told them I couldn't be bothered with it any more and If anyone wanted to take the reins its fine but I'm done.
Never looked back. Some of those deps blossomed into greater things. Since then I have gigged consistently and joined several bands along the way where the PA and gig getting is down to others.
I have taken a few not so good gigs with not so good players along the way as "stop gaps" rather than nothing but never gone back to doing the admin. Just turn up with me and my gear with the set learnt.
I always offer a hand with load in and out, offer appreciation where ever I can but don't get involved with the office work.
Maybe its a break from the admin and bad attitudes and not the playing that you need.