Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:
  • The 1024 has higher-end pups which are harmonically richer (which I really prefer) vs the 424 which has flatter pups (which plenty others really like / prefer);
  • The 424 pups are 'hotter';
  • Both have laminated bolt-on necks;
  • Upgraded body construction on the 1024 (spline jointed body, body through stringing, metal nut) vs 424 (single piece body, normal stringing, plastic nut) - I think I've got that right, although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I haven't.

I'd actually recommend getting that lovely 1024x in the FS (can't believe it's not shifted yet!) and A/B'ing it with your 424 and then moving on the one you don't want to keep as, whilst I would go for the 1024 every day of the week, others would do the opposite!

Have to say, I’m very interested in a 1024. I had a 424 of which did not work for me at all but the 1024, seems to be a different beast and more of a fit, for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:
  • The 1024 has higher-end pups which are harmonically richer (which I really prefer) vs the 424 which has flatter pups (which plenty others really like / prefer);
  • The 424 pups are 'hotter';
  • Both have laminated bolt-on necks;
  • Upgraded body construction on the 1024 (spline jointed body, body through stringing, metal nut) vs 424 (single piece body, normal stringing, plastic nut) - I think I've got that right, although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I haven't.

I'd actually recommend getting that lovely 1024x in the FS (can't believe it's not shifted yet!) and A/B'ing it with your 424 and then moving on the one you don't want to keep as, whilst I would go for the 1024 every day of the week, others would do the opposite!

Thanks. 👍

My 424 has through body stringing. 

Buying the 1024 and A/B ing makes sense but I'll convince myself I should keep both as a normal P and a reverse P. I not good at selling basses. 😁

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andy67 said:

Have to say, I’m very interested in a 1024. I had a 424 of which did not work for me at all but the 1024, seems to be a different beast and more of a fit, for me.

The 1024x in the classifieds looks like a great buy. 

Go get 'em Floyd! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Maude said:

Thanks. 👍

My 424 has through body stringing. 

Buying the 1024 and A/B ing makes sense but I'll convince myself I should keep both as a normal P and a reverse P. I not good at selling basses. 😁

Even better! I mean what better guide of which one to keep vs move on eventually, than the "which one do I reach for when I don't want to get my BB PH** trashed at the next local pub gig?" test?

Edited by Al Krow
** or substitute whatever posh bass you have lying around...

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the 1024, the output is definitely higher than the 414 I had, it’s very well put together and it seems to me to have more variation in tone, I play reggae and this really puts out some lows, and the action on mine is 1.5 at the 12th with no buzz, it sets up well 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maude said:

It's also a logistical nightmare being 250 miles away. 

Mrtcat says he gigs all over and could deliver but I bet he doesn't get this far down. 

I'm going out for a walk to ponder the situation. 

So....how was the walk? 🙂

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So....how was the walk? 🙂

Lovely thanks. 🙂

I'm going to leave it I think. I've bought too much lately and need to use what I've got and stop buying.

That said I'll probably be back here in a couple of days with a N(BB)BD post. 😂

• Like 1

The 1024 is indeed a very different animal to the 414 ect. The bottom end is way deeper and fatter and the top end is less brittle ( for want of a better term).

In relation to the P34  that I had for a short while, the 1024 is a lot warmer and sweeter in tone. The P34 is , to my ears at least, a very lean-sounding bass . There is a distinct lack of richness in the bottom end. In that respect it has a lot in common with the old BB2000 that had a similar tonal balance.  There is a definition and crispness to the sound that would be a very good partner to a nice warm valve amp 

• Like 1

Just now, Maude said:

Lovely thanks. 🙂

I'm going to leave it I think. I've bought too much lately and need to use what I've got and stop buying.

That said I'll probably be back here in a couple of days with a N(BB)BD post. 😂

Very sensible. And, yes, you've certainly had a good haul recently! (ok not if you've reset your clock to AT time) 😁

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Isn’t that a song 

Just wanted to make sure he was back safe. I mean it's getting dark early, the coastal paths aren't particularly well lit and we hadn't heard back from him a while...😁 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andy67 said:

Andy. Just remind me. Did I meet you in the Tesco car park in glorious Parkhead a few years back and did a swap deal for your red BB?

• Like 1

Just now, jezzaboy said:

Andy. Just remind me. Did I meet you in the Tesco car park in glorious Parkhead a few years back and did a swap deal for your red BB?

Yes we did mate, Tesco at the Forge in Glasgow many years ago, and I picked up a stunning Fender Mike Dirnt from you 😎

18 hours ago, andy67 said:

Yes we did mate, Tesco at the Forge in Glasgow many years ago, and I picked up a stunning Fender Mike Dirnt from you 😎

I thought that, getting a bit ditterey in me olde age! Great sounding bass that MD but a heavy lump.

That BB, which was really nice btw, I ended up selling it to a member from Motherwell, who left it in his car after a gig one night. And when he went to the car in the morning, some scallywag had stole it so who knows where it ended up after that.

• Sad 1

On 06/11/2021 at 14:10, Al Krow said:

@AndyTravis I see that you've been wrestling with the age-old conundrum of how to reconcile having a fantastic Spector Euro LX with owning a wonderful Yamaha BB bass. This same problem will eventually lay the basis for the Kobayashi Maru.

After giving this a lot of careful thought over much time, @lee650 and I seem to have independently arrived at exactly the same conclusion: there is only one good way to resolve this conundrum, and that's to have one of each. 

Just now, AndyTravis said:

...It’s staying. Various ideas come and go…the Spector works on some tracks and not others - so I’ll take both 😂

I see you've managed to solve the age old Yamaha vs Spector conundrum AT! Great result! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I see you've managed to solve the age old Yamaha vs Spector conundrum AT! Great result! 

The bank manager (Mrs T) isn’t clear on the core values of the investment.

she’s got Covid19, so I’ve given her the credit card with a post-it saying “shoe voucher x 1 pair” so she can order tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The bank manager (Mrs T) isn’t clear on the core values of the investment.

she’s got Covid19, so I’ve given her the credit card with a post-it saying “shoe voucher x 1 pair” so she can order tomorrow.

Great strategy. I find chocolate works well, too, but my better half gets suspicious if I buy flowers for no particular reason 😁

Edited by Al Krow