Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Great strategy. I find chocolate works well, too, but she gets suspicious if I buy flowers for no particular reason 😁

Well, I was announced as “colleague of the week” on Friday and got some expensive chocolates (would red wine have been too much of a stretch?!) - she said “aww, well done love - thanks for these…”

Then she lost her sense of smell and taste.

serves her right, daft bint.

😉😂

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

PS if she does have Covid - sorry to hear that and I hope she makes a swift recovery.

Jenny is super fit (in more ways than one), a half marathon runner and judoka.

She should be ok.

She’s rough - only time in 10 years of marriage (excluding Cesarean healing) I’ve known her to not be able to get out of bed.

She’s in good form, considering.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Chopthebass said:

Just seen a Japanese BB1100s for sale and it’s giving me GAS! I remember as a kid the bass player from Chaz and Dave had one and I loved the sound. I would point out that my parents were watching! I wasn’t an avid fan! 
I wonder if the 1100s is still a desirable bass? 

In this thread yes!

They're a fantastic bass. Desirable? I have no idea what that is anymore now that I live in a world where Squiers and Mexican Fenders regularly graze 1k asking prices. I had my 85 MIJ 1100S up for sale and didn't get an offer above €350. It's a crazy, crazy world. They're a proper, proper bass. Fashionable? No idea. Pro quality bass? 100%.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

They're a fantastic bass. Desirable? I have no idea what that is anymore now that I live in a world where Squiers and Mexican Fenders regularly graze 1k asking prices. I had my 85 MIJ 1100S up for sale and didn't get an offer above €350. It's a crazy, crazy world. They're a proper, proper bass. Fashionable? No idea. Pro quality bass? 100%.

1100s? 85…MIJ?

OOOOOH talk to me.

• Like 1

I live in a place where you'd get battered by import duties and VAT. I actually took it personally that no-one wanted this bass so it has been transferred back to the "keep it and f**k the non-believers" pile. I dream of a white 2024x but, in the meantime, the 1100S is a good placeholder 😃

4 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I live in a place where you'd get battered by import duties and VAT. I actually took it personally that no-one wanted this bass so it has been transferred back to the "keep it and f**k the non-believers" pile. I dream of a white 2024x but, in the meantime, the 1100S is a good placeholder 😃

Battered on around €350 I can deal with

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doctor J said:

That’s crazy money, easily worth twice that.

22 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

BB550, MIJ, available in 1987, that's all I know. Also available in red and black.

16369087523138137968688456525244-01.jpeg.c7d62e4561147bcb6b26092ea683c2d3.jpeg

I haven't been able to find out anything more about the 550, other than that in 1986 it was the bottom of the BB range. It's always the cheap ones that get the paint jobs I admire....

4 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I haven't been able to find out anything more about the 550, other than that in 1986 it was the bottom of the BB range. It's always the cheap ones that get the paint jobs I admire....

Given the colours and look, they may have been put out in direct competition to the MIJ Fender boxer series. 

Edited by andy67

And i'm back with this 2005 BB415. Facebook market this time. Needed a clean, a few bits tightening up and new strings. However it's now bang on. May change the bridge purely for the extended saddle aesthetics, but no rush.

Was going to take it to rehearsal tomorrow night but they just cancelled 😭

PXL_20211116_114445140.thumb.jpg.5dbdb5b17b77f92f14b26c59992d57ee.jpg

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Machines said:

And i'm back with this 2005 BB415. Facebook market this time. Needed a clean, a few bits tightening up and new strings. However it's now bang on. May change the bridge purely for the extended saddle aesthetics, but no rush.

Was going to take it to rehearsal tomorrow night but they just cancelled 😭

PXL_20211116_114445140.thumb.jpg.5dbdb5b17b77f92f14b26c59992d57ee.jpg

That is sweet! Congrats! Did you hold onto your 734A or did that get moved on?

Kinda makes me feel that Yamaha got it right a long time ago, and their subsequent tweaks haven't materially changed what was a fantastic core product. And in terms of colours on offer with matching headstocks, well there's a decent argument to say that they've since gone backwards.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:Yamaha got it right a long time ago, and their subsequent tweaks haven't materially changed what was a fantastic core product. And in terms of colours on offer with matching headstocks, well there's a decent argument to say that they've since gone backwards.

yeah - I think the bb414/614 but with the laminate necks, through body stringing and posh mitre joint would be a more sensible evolution.

A mix of the last 3 series.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

yeah - I think the bb414/614 but with the laminate necks, through body stringing and posh mitre joint would be a more sensible evolution.

A mix of the last 3 series.

And reissue the 2004 and 2005. Fabulous basses.

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That is sweet! Congrats! Did you hold onto your 734A or did that get moved on?

Kinda makes me feel that Yamaha got it right a long time ago, and their subsequent tweaks haven't materially changed what was a fantastic core product. And in terms of colours on offer with matching headstocks, well there's a decent argument to say that they've since gone backwards.

Moved it on - didn't get on with the bridge pickup at all. Liked the bass mostly passive with the neck pickup, as such it was over engineered for me, sold it for what I paid.

• Like 1