Why become a member? ×

Learning 6 String!!!!

highwayone

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1484775696' post='3218420']
Tinkered with guitar on and off for years and never really mastered it. Any tips on the best way forward,had some lessons but all the tutor was doing was learning me a new song every week but nothing else. Any good books or sites out there to have a gander at? Cheers.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tinkered with guitar on and off for years and never really mastered it. Any tips on the best way forward,had some lessons but all the tutor was doing was learning me a new song every week but nothing else. Any good books or sites out there to have a gander at? Cheers.
[/quote]
Yes change the strings for bass ones

Learn open chords first.

Once you've got those sorted start on barre chords. It'll be a struggle at first, but once you've developed the capability to bar your first finger across all the strings the world will be your Mollusc.

Disclaimer: It may take quite a long time between being able to play open chords to being able to play any barre chord you like.

The solo stuff is just scales.

[/quote]
For a start, find a better teacher!
Plenty of teachers will look at where you are now and where you're aiming, and work accordingly.

It depends what style of playing you want to learn.
If it's rhythm, grab these 5 chords to start with C A D G E & just strum. Practice strumming just 8ths & then throw in 16ths. Play about with patterns until you're comfortable & then practice moving from one chord to another (e.g. G to D & back to G).
Once you've gotten comfortable playing these 5 chords, chuck in the barred chords. It's not hard.
If it's lead, then practice scales. Treat it a bit like a bass.

[quote name='highwayone' timestamp='1484817037' post='3218630']
Changed my mind after seeing this��
[/quote]

I'm so glad you said that. It is what stopped me from advancing when I got my first guitar aged 11 (the seventies). I didn't pick an instrument up again other than to pose with until I was 19! Even then I was reluctant to tackle an instrument with more than four strings, hence my start in bass.

I suppose it must work on some level but I couldn't relate to ANYTHING in it.

Now we have six (or more) string basses I have found these diagrams to help me understand the relative tunings between standard guitar and standard six string basses;

[url="http://www.guitar-book.com/index_htm_files/standard-guitar-tuning.png"]http://www.guitar-bo...itar-tuning.png[/url]
Guitar

[url="http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/0iu-evUwUrE/maxresdefault.jpg"]http://i1.ytimg.com/...xresdefault.jpg[/url]
Sixer Bass

Edited by SpondonBassed

Are you learning on an acoustic or an electric guitar? With acoustic, it's all about open chords and letting the strings ring out and trying not to mute them with your left-hand fingers. With electric guitar (just like electric bass) it's all about damping and muting so you only hear the notes that you want to play.

I find the main difference between playing bass and guitar is right-hand technique. Spend time learning a good alternate up/down plectrum technique, and also a finger-picking technique, and you should be able to play almost anything.

The other thing about guitar is that just because you've got six strings, you don't have to strum them all. Especially in a band situation, it can be really effective to play two or three note chords rather than muddy things up using all six.

I've been playing 6 stringers for 30 years and am teaching my 10 year old daughter and a few others and swear by justinguitar.com. I've checked out many online /You Tube tutors and for my money he's the best, particularly for beginners. They all find his tutorials and books really helpful. He's a Brit too.

Learn open chords

Majors minors and 7ths

Get rhythm up to scratch

When I started, a friend of mine said to just sit there and strum a single chord, focusing on rhythm.

If you want instant gratification then learn DCG. there. You got yourself some blues.

Rhythm is the most important thing though. I would value that higher than chords.

Hey Marty Swartz here glad you could join us ..What's up ..
This guys patter is a bit mince but if you can see past that he has some good lessons and there is Justins Guitar lessons also ..all on you tube and they do beginner stuff ...
Agree with open chords and strumming\timing. .
And yes progress to bar chords ..
Think it takes a year before your first bar chord ...
Oh and practice ..