Why become a member? ×

Do the famous gig?

la bam

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1483990946' post='3211802']
A friend of my brothers was having her 18th birthday party at Julie's nightclub in Newcastle in 85/86 ish. They asked if she minded if a new local band played a set.

The band turned out to be Dire Straits, who had just played at the City Hall. I think my brother said they played for about 2 hours.
[/quote]

I've got some photos of that gig somewhere. I'll see if I can dig em out.

I seem to remember a couple of The Quo had a little function / covers band for quite a few years. I wouldn't have thought they were doing it to earn another £100 a week because they needed it. Probably, simply the buzz of playing small venues.

Some big name bands will often play warm up gigs at small venues under another name prior to a bigger event.
I believe Metallica played a couple of club gigs under the name Trapped Under Ice as a warm up for their Donnington Monsters Of Rock headline slot in '95.
Iron Maiden certainly used to play small venues under the name The Nodding Donkeys. The drummer of a band I used to play with was quite friendly with Nicko McBrain so when they used to play under that name at The Oval Rockhouse in Norwich, Nicko would get him to play his kit for a couple of minutes at the soundcheck so he could listen to how it sounded out front.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1483967549' post='3211462']
Is Steve Vai actually famous amongst people who aren't actually musicians? Even to me he's just some widdley guitarist who doesn't seem to ever played any music I'm remotely interested in.

And how do you know that he's actually want to be doing any of those things that you mention. There's a lot to be said for sitting on your bum watching telly or surfing the net if you don't actually need to work.

And as for "playing the classics". I can't think of anything more boring.
[/quote]
You may not be remotely interested in Steve Vai but a significant number of people are (I used to be – not so much now). On the other hand, I would probably pay good money not to have to watch your band. Of course, that doesn’t make what you do worthless, just that it doesn’t appeal to me. I would imagine that you would have a similar reaction to my various bands.

Similarly, you may find playing classics boring, but a lot of us would jump at the chance of sitting in with a band we like or admire even if it is just an impromptu version of an old blues / rock / soul classic or whatever. You have to bear in mind that many musicians love playing purely for its own sake. I would imagine the same applies to many of those who have managed to achieve a degree of success or fame.

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1484000555' post='3211923']
Some big name bands will often play warm up gigs at small venues under another name prior to a bigger event.
I believe Metallica played a couple of club gigs under the name Trapped Under Ice as a warm up for their Donnington Monsters Of Rock headline slot in '95.
[/quote]

This sort of thing has happened in the past with a few bands at Rock City in Nottingham as it's reasonably local to Donington. I think more and more headliners these days just swan in on the day, do the set and bugger off again though.
I heard a year or 2 ago most of Black Star Riders turned up to a pub blues jam in Nottm as they had either played Rock City night before or were due to play the night after and had a spare evening. It would have been funny seeing people do a double take seeing Scott Gorham knocking out old blues standards.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1483959788' post='3211353']
Morning all,
A question that I often think is what happens when you become 'famous' (or your band does)?

Is that it for live gigs (apart from official big gigs with the band)?

Id hate to think thatd be the case.

Imagine being so talented then only getting that gig buzz a few times a year - sometimes only every few years!

Just wondered if famous bands still gig (on the quiet) or under the radar (as a pub band under a different name etc), or if the musicians have side projects where they can get their gig fix?

Seems such a shame to have all that talent and drive, then not gig.
[/quote]

Obviously gigging takes on a slightly different dynamic when you're a full-time professional musician. Playing Mustang Sally for free at the Dog and Duck might not be as exciting for someone who already plays 100 + gigs per year to pay the mortgage.

A long time ago I was at an Art Farmer gig in a small club in Brussels, when in walked a few of the Count Basie Band. They had just played a gig at the Palais Des Beaux Arts. After Jo Jones, the Basie drummer, had finished with him, the Belgian bass player had blood running from his fingers and a smile a mile wide.

If you ever gig at Kenny Jones's Polo club he might ask if he can sit in. He's good and still does a mean shuffle.

Edited by chris_b

The pub i used to go in at uni in salford (owned by my now farther in law) used to have a jazz night and ska every week and the jazzers from the uni across the road would come in, but you would often get big bands or famous people come and join in occasionally, The blues Brothers band turned up one night and played for about a hour after finishing their set that night in manchester.

I'm reliably told by someone that was there that at the peak of their fame Venom played a secret gig at the Marquee under an assumed name. It had been kept a little bit too secret and with half an hour to go before show time there were only a dozen or so punters in the place, based on the assumed name sounding "quite metal", so the venue went to change the posters to show that it was in fact Venom playing.

Six people left.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1484003521' post='3211951']
On the other hand, I would probably pay good money not to have to watch your band.
[/quote]

Oh, now hold on...I think I sense a new earner... :D

On the 'fame being relative' thing, I did a gig at a big awards ceremony at the Old Trafford Cricket Ground last year, we were introduced to a load of (mostly huge) young fellas with expensive suits and haircuts, all of whom I just said "Hiya" to. I thought the Event Manager looked a bit downcast, it was only later I was told they were mostly England cricketers... :unsure: :D

Why does the OP assume that being famous means you'll only gig a few times a year or less?
There are plenty of bands out there who still have pretty intense touring schedules despite having "made it" years ago. Cheap Trick, for example, still apparently average over 200 gigs a year.
At the end of the day it's down to the individual, if they still love gigging a lot they'll do it, if they don't they won't.

My favourite ever blues/rock power trio, Virgil and the Accelerators - sadly never really famous, used to sell out on the Continent but less successful here - played covers sets under false names between tours just because they loved it. (They also headlined my 60th birthday party - which was a public charity gig with Kyla Brox opening - between tours partly for the same reason, although I did pay them, but they refused to take more than half their normal fee.)

Victor Brox regularly plays local (Stockport) pub gigs in between packed houses on the Continent and at major UK blues festivals. With just as much professionalism and joy. A superb musician and a lovely man.

Back in '75 , after Led Zeppelin had finished recording the " Presence " album and were about to start a world tour , Robert Plant was injured in a car crash in Greece . The tour was cancelled and they all lived here in Jersey for three months for tax reasons .
One night at Behan's nightclub ( since demolished , but I played there in the 70s ) the regular local pianist was joined on stage by Bonzo , then JPJ , then Jimmy P. and finally Robert Plant shuffled on on crutches and sang from a stool , all unannounced .

Going back a little, Steve Vai and others occasionally turn up at the Lucky Strike LA. It's got a bit of a name but still not a big place and from the comments they just do it for the hell of it.

WARNING: Contains naughty words

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik_2tlYB3K0[/media]

Edited by Marvin