Why become a member? ×

Noel Gallagher doesn't like Jazz Music.

bubinga5

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1483793333' post='3210136']
I'm afraid that I don't particularly like Jazz either (my father spent my childhood trying to push it on me)[b] but I don't think anyone can dismiss a whole genre.[/b] I have stuff by everyone from Miles Davis to Tom Scott and whilst I wouldn't say any of it is on heavy rotation, there's usually something for someone. Equally I don't like rap or hip hop but some of the early stuff like Grandmaster Flash is enjoyable enough.

I suspect it's just a bit of Noel banter. Move along people, nothing to see.
[/quote]

Agreed. There are individual songs I like and songs I dont like, genre has nowt to do with it. Except for rap, that just rubbish.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1483803362' post='3210245']
I'm not a fan of NG's music in the slightest - but I always enjoy his interviews.

[b]Love him or hate him, at least his says what he thinks, and provokes opinion. Like the previous 2 pages![/b] ;)
[/quote]

Well, I have a big mouth and lots of opinions, and if you provoke me I can spout them. Hopefully, unlike him, I dont just come out with sweeping generalisations to get attention. I prefer it when people have something to say, rather than simply mouthing off. Oh....I just have. Doh.

Edited by mikel

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1483796395' post='3210188']
Maybe he had just been to see this lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKjmgbNXjI
[/quote]

I love the jazz I love. This clip encapsulates what people hate about what they think is jazz. Why does free improv so often mean a totally ridiculous abandonment of taste?

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1483817868' post='3210414']
I love the jazz I love. This clip encapsulates what people hate about what they think is jazz.
[/quote]

I think if you played that to most people they're not call it jazz, they'd call it noise.

And that's not a pejorative statement about the music.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483818891' post='3210424']

I think if you played that to most people they're not call it jazz, they'd call it noise.

And that's not a pejorative statement about the music.
[/quote]

Yes, noise that a lot of people assume is jazz, probably including Noel

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1483819022' post='3210425']
Yes, noise that a lot of people assume is jazz, probably including Noel
[/quote]

I reckon folks know more about jazz than you give them credit for - think of, I dunno...Dave Brubeck, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington...take your pick - I'd say there are plenty of well-known jazz musicians to ensure that folks just don't think of free improv/noise when they think of jazz.

Sure it's a caricature - people making 'tuneless' jazz, but so is endless guitar solos by tattooed guitarists with goaties, and not all heavy metal is like that.

So I'm told ;)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1483820046' post='3210437']

I reckon folks know more about jazz than you give them credit for - think of, I dunno...Dave Brubeck, Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington...take your pick - I'd say there are plenty of well-known jazz musicians to ensure that folks just don't think of free improv/noise when they think of jazz.

Sure it's a caricature - people making 'tuneless' jazz, but so is endless guitar solos by tattooed guitarists with goaties, and not all heavy metal is like that.

So I'm told ;)
[/quote]

I think we are on the same page. 'Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood' Now that's a good tune. 😄

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1483820365' post='3210444']
'Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood' Now that's a good tune.
[/quote]

Robben Ford covers this beautifully, if you haven't heard it - lovely bass! ...

http://youtu.be/6VsY_h7CBbY

[quote name='julesb' timestamp='1483820365' post='3210444']
I think we are on the same page. 'Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood' Now that's a good tune. ��
[/quote]

:D :D

I suggest we both go and listen to some jazz -just for ourselves.

Edited by ahpook

I love the jazz I love. This clip encapsulates what people hate about what they think is jazz. Why does free improv so often mean a totally ridiculous abandonment of taste?
[/quote]

Is that really jazz in any form? I listened to the first minute, I thought they were just tuning up!

I used to work on the BBC Jazz club with my dad many, many years back working with the likes of George Chisolm, Acker Bilk and many other names that I was too young to fully appreciate, I really loved what was seen as traditional jazz bands, my dad was friends with Clio Lane and Johnny Dankworth but I could never take to her music, that to me was improv type jazz which I can't take more than about 30 seconds of!

I like Noel and that clip made me laugh out loud primarily because it's succinct, well timed and delivered with humour.

I don't really get why people resort to name-calling just because his opinion differs to yours. Why should he skirt around in an answer for fear of isolating or upsetting anyone? Some people love sprouts, loads don't. Christ on a bike, what a dull place the world would be if everyone just conformed and everybody liked the same thing.

Don't get your panties in a twist kids.

[/quote]

I don't know my friend but I'm betting John Sessions or Tony Slattery could tell you. I hated improvised comedy when Channel 4 was saturated with the stuff.

I get that improvisation is a good thing especially if your brain falls over during a performance but for the whole performance to be improvised seems a bit daft. That it sells tickets though... that's hilarious.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1483871316' post='3210681']
[b]I like Noel[/b] and that clip made me laugh out loud primarily because it's succinct, well timed and delivered with humour.

[b]I don't really get why people resort to name-calling just because his opinion differs to yours.[/b] Why should he skirt around in an answer for fear of isolating or upsetting anyone? Some people love sprouts, loads don't. Christ on a bike, what a dull place the world would be if everyone just conformed and everybody liked the same thing.

[b]Don't get your panties in a twist kids.[/b]
[/quote]

Pot calling kettle there If I am not mistaken.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1483885902' post='3210826']
Pot calling kettle there If I am not mistaken.
[/quote]

Hmmm? I think you'll find that the expression, 'don't get your panties in a twist' is, when used in context, similar to saying 'don't worry' or 'calm down' and doesn't refer to name-calling in the slightest. You'll remember also that I didn't refer to the aforementioned Mr Gallagher as a knob either.

Try harder, eh?

Hmmm, don't see how suggesting people just chillout is either name calling, or pot and kettle. Noel has one opinion, others have different opinions. The world continues to turn. It's hardly the most important issue in the works at the moment and NJ^^^^^^ seemed to sum it up perfectly to me.

I think his comments are characteristically arrogant. To describe Jazz as 'Four guys on stage in a club all playing different things and in different tempo's and call it Jazz' What about Four guys standing on stage for four and hour all playing the same chords and call it Oasis. Having said that I do like a fair bit of Oasis early stuff. But I suspect that he would describe anything that isn't Oasis as being something less worthy. I feel the disappointment in the initial thread that someone clearly gifted in his own way would relegate one of the world's great music genre's to a pen an ink cartoon. On the other hand how many of us have seen just what he has described, or worse done it. Everything aside, compared to what he does Weller is Jazz, I mean he uses more that roots, thirds and fifths.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1483874977' post='3210720']

I don't know my friend but I'm betting John Sessions or Tony Slattery could tell you. I hated improvised comedy when Channel 4 was saturated with the stuff.

[/quote]

I remember when they or their ilk had to 'rap' in the musical style segment. The thought of that still makes me feel very ill