Why become a member? ×

Outdoor gigs in winter - Advice

Callumjord

Hi there,

I am playing my first outdoor show in 2 weeks time at my towns Christmas light show.

We are on at 4pm and are the last band playing before the lights are switched on.

I am a bit worried/nervous about keeping warm (mainly my hands) and yet still feeling comfortable to play and not feel restricted (ie no gloves or big winter jackets), it generally tends to get very cold around that time of day up in the north of Scotland.

Any advice would be great.

Keep the playing simple. You also won't get as much sustain out of your strings as usual. It's usually less of a problem than you might think. I've done gigs at skiing events where, even under lights, the stage temperaure was barely above freezing. Just keep your hands warmed up between songs. I did try one of those little metal boxes that hunters use. They're lined with something fireproof and you leave a slow-burning piece of charcoal in them. They fit in your pocket. To be honest, I didn't really need it in the end though.

Heat patches on your kidneys, seriously, it helps warm your blood. One on the spine under your neck is good too as it stops you hunching up from the cold. Yeah, a bit extreme but I've done a few times due to nerve damage and it helped.

Add some pocket hand warmers and fingerless gloves and you're set.

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1479049017' post='3173515']
Keep the playing simple. You also won't get as much sustain out of your strings as usual. It's usually less of a problem than you might think. I've done gigs at skiing events where, even under lights, the stage temperaure was barely above freezing. Just keep your hands warmed up between songs. I did try one of those little metal boxes that hunters use. They're lined with something fireproof and you leave a slow-burning piece of charcoal in them. They fit in your pocket. To be honest, I didn't really need it in the end though.
[/quote]

The gel type versions of these available in Millets and other camping/outdoor shops.

+1 to thermals. Great invention. However, your fingers will almost certainly not want to play ball, so keep them digits warm before going on.

Dependant on the stage setup you might find yourself out the road of any cold breezes so it'll not be as bad as you may think.

Good luck!

Yep, keep warm before going on, buy a coffee/hot drink just before going on and don`t drink it, just keep it there to warm your hands up on if needed, though I doubt you will. If a musicians hands/fingers aren`t warm enough when playing then they must be some pretty sparse parts that are being played.

I'm in Canada so I know about cold.All the advice above is good for you own warmth but the biggest issue I have had in the cold is tuning.The bass is not as susceptible to problems but guitars may have an interesting time as the strings change tension with lower temperatures.This will make them and perhaps the bass out of tune with each other and with the keyboard which will not be affected by the temperature.This is most serious when you tune in a nice warm room and then take the instrument out into the cold right before you start to play.Be sure to check your tuning on stage before you start the first song.Many years ago when I was playing tenor banjo in a Dixieland band we went outside after tuning up inside and after I played the intro to the first song all the horn players looked surprised because I was a full half tone sharper than when we tuned up inside!It made for an interesting gig-the temperature was about -15C or 0 F.I'm sure you won't be near that temp but be aware of possible tuning issues.Sounds like a fun gig,good luck!

I once did an outdoor gig in January in Poland and it was about -10 C so pretty flipping freezing! Thermal undies were required! Luckily there was a dirty great big space heater/jet engine thing on the stage so I cunningly positioned myself in front of it.

Tuning will be an issue, so make sure you have something you can use to check tuning in between songs.

Hands-wise, I found I had cold hands to start with but they quickly warmed up, however towards the end of our hour long set they did start to get cold again. I didn't use any gloves as can't play so well with them on.

Mrs Bassjim knitted me some "Bass Mits".

Think of a fingerless glove but.. On the plucking hand : Whole thumb is exposed. Allows you to slap without restriction. On the Fingers: No half fingers like "finger-less gloves"but one large hole for all four fingers which has a slight elastic quality so it covers all four fingers to just below the first knuckle joint.
Repeat for the left fretting hand but thumb is covered up to just below the thumb nail.

Because none of the fingers are joined they allow a better freedom of movement whilst still doing the job of a finger-less glove.

Its the best I have so far. Plus 1 to all the other garments and tips mentioned above. I hate playing outside , even in the summer if its a bit breezy as for me cold hands = cant play or at least play my personal best. In the winter indoor venues with none or hardly any heating are just as bad. Miserable.

One of the singers I gig with does Winter Wonderland In Hyde Park (I think?) which is 5 days a week. She told me that the guitarist and bassist suffer for their art and then some for the first few weeks but then start to acclimatize to it. So thats ok if its a string of gigs but the odd one off could be harsh.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would give a wee update on how the gig went.

Was absolutely amazing! We only played a small 45min set but managed to fill out the town center (theres a time laps video below and we are at the very end, I think)

Surprisingly I wasn't as cold as I thought I would be. Only had jeans, t shirt and a thick jumper one. I kept a small hand warmer in my jumper pocket and that managed to keep my hands warm inbetween songs.

Was an amazing experience playing my first outdoor gig. Cant wait to play the next one. Also numerous pints in the local boozer was a brilliant way to end the night!

[url="http://www.facebook.com/paul.walton.332/videos/10211132855427851/"]http://www.facebook....11132855427851/[/url]

[url="https://youtu.be/Ku1OqND-ic8"]https://youtu.be/Ku1OqND-ic8[/url]

Edited by Callumjord