Why become a member? ×

Funk Blues - song suggestions ?

dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1478210789' post='3167655']
Lie the idea of adapting some classic blues songs only prob with that is one of the guitarists is a Blues fanatic and will only play a blues song as it sounds by the artist. He doesn't even like me to play ad-libs on certain songs. Likes to keep it simple blues bass lines.
[/quote]

All suggestions are wasted on a guy like this. You meet a lot of them in the blues world. It's where many of the Luddites end up.

The truth is that most of the songs he deigns to play would have been played differently by the original artist on takes 1and 2. We played a bluesy version of a Sting song at a blues club and half of them loved it, but the other half looked very uncomfortable.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1478264733' post='3167999']
All suggestions are wasted on a guy like this. You meet a lot of them in the blues world. It's where many of the Luddites end up.

The truth is that most of the songs he deigns to play would have been played differently by the original artist on takes 1and 2. We played a bluesy version of a Sting song at a blues club and half of them loved it, but the other half looked very uncomfortable.
[/quote]

Its a shame the british blues fraternity has not moved on, i get what you are saying, i was in a 12 piece blues band doing bang upto date stuff from mainly the usa and when we played fests yes alot of people would say what a blast of fresh air, but you would get the pipe smokin crowd saying thats not blues.... christ, move on, all that was done 40/50 years ago and its getting a bit yawney now.
dont get me wrong i love blues, but if i go in a pub and hear another version of red house al scream :D

Some ZZ Top is quite funky like Just Got Paid.

Top of my list to get into our setlist The Boneshakers version of James Browns Cold Sweat. The Boneshakers were formed after the breakup of Was Not Was and play some seriously funky stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ0Lg_Am918

Edited by Japhet

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1478251008' post='3167816']
Never heard of Lettuce.
[/quote]
Neither had I til a year or so ago, I might stick that live set on now myself.

Also, try Dumpstaphunk - they lean more towards funk but yes, this is my kinda thing to listen to - hello fellow funksters and thank you for the recommendations in this thread, fantastic.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1478267194' post='3168037']
I hate Red House. . . even by Hendrix.

[/quote]

It's what I think of as an 'infinite Song' - it goes on for as long as the guitarist wants it to go on, which often seems like days.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1478267194' post='3168037']
I hate Red House. . . even by Hendrix.

At our jam we had 3 guitarists in a row come up and ask to play it! It didn't bother them one bit that it had just been played! I had to come up with 3 different bass lines just to keep my sanity.
[/quote]

I have a strong hunch that Hendrix had his tongue very much in his cheek when he wrote that one. In one of my bands, whenever we got heckled by the type of 12-bar blues evangelists who wouldn't know the real thing if it jumped up and bit them on the arse, we used to respond with a piss-take that our drummer made up at some point (knowing him, it was probably something he lifted from Zappa). It was basically Red House with replacement lyrics as typified by the first verse: "Woke up this mornin', dreamt a chicken walked across my face; (repeat); and then I realised - it was only my wife Grace (but that's all right cos I still got my guitar)" - cue 15-min lead break. We would watch the punters in gleeful amusement to see who 'got it' and who was swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1478247314' post='3167781']
To me, that completely misses the point of playing blues. It is a simple musical form that gives the performers plenty of room to express themselves. Playing someone else's lines is like wearing their dirty underwear. It has to be about your feelings, your blues, no matter who wrote or performed the song. Make them your own.
[/quote]

Its only on certain songs like Cold Sweat where he wants me to keep the walking bass line simple rather than ad additional fills. I kinda see where he's coming from whereas other songs i have a fee hand to play whatever i feel is right so its a bit swings and roundabouts. Not realll a big deal. I've been used to bands where i had to play exactly what they wanted.
I def like to put my own feel on a song as i do tend to have a slightly more aggressive feel than a lot of bassists i know. I use finger style with my nails clipping the strings but also play quite hard which gives me quite a powerful sound when i need it. Saying that i back off on many songs to just using my fingers without nail clipping the strings to get that smoother feel.

Dave

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1478276317' post='3168129']
I have a strong hunch that Hendrix had his tongue very much in his cheek when he wrote that one. In one of my bands, whenever we got heckled by the type of 12-bar blues evangelists who wouldn't know the real thing if it jumped up and bit them on the arse, we used to respond with a piss-take that our drummer made up at some point (knowing him, it was probably something he lifted from Zappa). It was basically Red House with replacement lyrics as typified by the first verse: "Woke up this mornin', dreamt a chicken walked across my face; (repeat); and then I realised - it was only my wife Grace (but that's all right cos I still got my guitar)" - cue 15-min lead break. We would watch the punters in gleeful amusement to see who 'got it' and who was swallowing it hook, line and sinker.
[/quote]

Now that appeals to my sense of humour. :D

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478286833' post='3168245']
Meteors or Neville Bros... or pick Yellow Moon or something which was a collaboration... but if you are trying to go funky, make sure you can groove and don't do poor man's rock/funk as there is nothing worse.. :lol:
[/quote]

That was my biggest concern when i was asked to join. I'm not generally a funk or groove player with nearest i've played would be some Glenn Hughes funk rock where i really enjoyed the feel he had when playing even with Deep Purple. It has taken me 3-4 rehearsals with the band to really get into the groove feel. Basslines are not very difficult to play but that groove thing was the hard part. Some of the songs i had played years ago within a rock blues set but to play a full set really is quite different. I must admit that playing this style of funk blues has been far more satisfying and enjoyable than any other style i've played before. I actually feel this is what i should have been doing over the years rather than heavy rock.
To be honest many of these songs are the ones i used when i was learning bass and trying to improve on my technique along with Jack Bruce, Andy Farser, Glenn Hughes etc.
I would hate to sound like an amatuer playing songs without feeling the rythmn of the song. That would be my worse nightmare.
Hopefully i'm doing a good job. The other band members seem to think i've more than nailed the songs and they all have many many yrs experience playing this style of music.

Dave

Just been listening to this in the car. A good number of the tracks have a funky blues vibe going on.

Is your Guitard good enough for Clapton?

"I Shot the Sherriff" , "Willy and the Hand jive" and a few others

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-6GO4UhErQ

I had no idea i would get so many suggestions guys. Its gonna take me a while to get thru listening to them all.
Some i've had a quick listen to and think maybe a little too extreme one way or another but majority are spot on and i'm really getting into a style of music i've never really given much thought to.

Cheers guys and all very much appreciated the effort some have put in to their reply by adding youtube links.

Basschat is def a great place to be when you need help.

Dave

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1478291903' post='3168301']
[url="https://youtu.be/G5zPqgQ67yo"]https://youtu.be/G5zPqgQ67yo[/url]
[/quote]
You mean
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT4RainY-lY ....[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif](To post a YouTube link remove the "s" from the "Https://" )[/font][/color]