Why become a member? ×

Design a Headstock Competition?

Grangur

I was just reading another thread and saw this post:

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1478133705' post='3167101']
Always fascinated by these. Ugliest headstock ever. But, I would.
[/quote]

OK this is taken out of context here, but this is something some folk often say when what they see isn't a Fender. This got me thinking.

Is the Fender headstock attractive, or simply familiar? What makes a headstock attractive?

So, why not see what happens if some of us try to design a headstock? THE only rules I'd add are;

1- It has to be functional
2- it has to be original; unique to you, no spouts of the old mantra "Leo got it right"

Anyone interested?

I guess Leo Fender was head of a company that was lucky enough to get some momentum behind it. No idea whether the Fender headstocks are right or wrong, but I suppose it just works. Of Fender headstock design, I prefer the early Precision/Telecaster bass design over the more current/traditional Jazz/Precision design.

Moving along, I adore the Spector NS headstock...reckon you could put that on anything and it would work. On the familiarity comment, Status; I loved the headless design, but the headstock on the other models just lacks the dynacism of the body design.

Finally, bad design. I've never seen a Cort bass that I didn't hate, but man, that headstock looks like someone took a bite out of it. Wrong. Symmetry.

I like a 2+2 or 3+2 style - like a Warwick in fact.

I was actually thinking it could be interesting to see if folk could actually come up with some good designs. After all, I don't think it's going to be easy to come up with anything that's good to look at, not a look-a-like, but still has the function.

Dingwall's look good too

I dig the sexy routing

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1478154426' post='3167113']
2- it has to be original; unique to you, no spouts of the old mantra "Leo got it right"
[/quote]

Unless you're talking about the original Boroadcaster/Tele, Leo pinched it off Bigsby & just simplified it a bit:

As far as different designs go, I like the old Yamaha SB/SG and their variations & derivatives. Elegant & functional, to my eyes - if I was designing a 4-inline I'd rip that off. :)

I dislike any five headstock with 4 - 1 tuning pegs - it makes the fifth string look like an afterthought that hasn't been properly integrated. AfIk any Jazz 5 does this, except the Jazz Plus, which has a longer headstock and smaller keys to fit all five on top. (Correct me if I'm wrong, please.) The elegant 5 headstocks imho are all 3 - 2, and make a strong visual point of the centre (A) string coming to the top of the headstock. I'll try to sort out some pics to show this, the only one I can easily show is the header on my Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/MaryMcGeeWood

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1478221518' post='3167730']

Unless you're talking about the original Boroadcaster/Tele, Leo pinched it off Bigsby & just simplified it a bit:

[/quote]

Surely you MUST mean Bigby found out what Fender were going to do and exaggerated it a bit? After all Leo invented Everything guitar related didn't he? :P

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1478227684' post='3167742']
Surely you MUST mean Bigby found out what Fender were going to do and exaggerated it a bit? After all Leo invented Everything guitar related didn't he? :P
[/quote] Nope - the travis/bigsby guitar in the country museum hall of fame in Nashville predates the strat by a long way as far as I know.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1807/bigsby-merle-travis-electric-guitar/ Not a good photo but the story is there including dates and of course there are others.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1478248560' post='3167789']
Nope - the travis/bigsby guitar in the country museum hall of fame in Nashville predates the strat by a long way as far as I know.

[url="https://www.vintageguitar.com/1807/bigsby-merle-travis-electric-guitar/"]https://www.vintageg...lectric-guitar/[/url] Not a good photo but the story is there including dates and of course there are others.
[/quote]

I reckon the sticky out tongue smiley suggests the author was very aware of this :)

As far as different designs go, I like the old Yamaha SB/SG and their variations & derivatives. Elegant & functional, to my eyes - if I was designing a 4-inline I'd rip that off. :)

[/quote]

I didnt know that! - I thought Fenders' design was an original idea based on the treble clef.

Unless you're talking about the original Boroadcaster/Tele, Leo pinched it off Bigsby & just simplified it a bit
[/quote]

And Bigsby nicked the design off CF Martin who in turn had borrowed it from numerous German luthiers, most notably Johann Georg Stauffer who was building guitars in the early 1800s. It's hardly a new design.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478255881' post='3167884']

And Bigsby nicked the design off CF Martin who in turn had borrowed it from numerous German luthiers, most notably Johann Georg Stauffer who was building guitars in the early 1800s. It's hardly a new design.
[/quote]

Isn't it just a simplified version of what a double bass head stock looks like in profile?

I had always assumed this based on the shape.

Also, if anyone posts a cool head stock design on here, are we free to rip it off mercilessly. ie are they open source to use the jargon?

Personally I like Peavey headstocks - leaner than Fender without being too pointy. But if I was building my own, I think Bassassin's right on the money with the SG/SB headstocks.

The other idea is the forward or backward peg position or stock curve. But these are often impractical, IMO.

My very favourite headstock is the BC Rich Widow. Pointy but symmetrical, with a pleasing, shapely buttock feel to it. Sort of like an evil bum. The Beast one is quite nice, too, but sans arse.

I like pointyness and symmetry yet I prefer the Warlock body to the Widow body. My Warlock has the Widow headstock, best of both worlds.

I can't stand the standard explorer shaped headstock, and most things with Hamer on them make me feel a bit ill.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1478248560' post='3167789']
Nope - the travis/bigsby guitar in the country museum hall of fame in Nashville predates the strat by a long way as far as I know.

https://www.vintageguitar.com/1807/bigsby-merle-travis-electric-guitar/ Not a good photo but the story is there including dates and of course there are others.
[/quote]
I was being sarcastic. A bit of a dig at those who seem to think Leo Fender invented the original guitar shaped instrument.