Why become a member? ×

How many BassChatters have never ever gigged?

thebrig

I've been gigging solidly since I was about 14 - I say solidly when in fact, at least once a decade I have a meltdown and leave every band I am in saying i have retired and will never do it again.

Currently got more gigs than I can shake a stick at (4 bands, and dep for another 3) and wondering when the next meltdown is coming.
Have had some very good times post-meltdown and having a normal life without sitting in pubs waiting to play/for the rest of the band to turn up/for someone to find out if the place has closed down now/for the scary lady to stop groping me/for the ****ing money.

Having now made more money from, and got more recognition for writing a book loosely based on the experience, I think I should stop messing about with music and get down to writing a bit more.

Except somebody just asked me to go and play bass for them and they said we could do Prince songs, so there you go. More bands, less writing.
:)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1476105185' post='3151298']
My last bass gig was about 5 years ago. Since then I've played an average of 20-30 gigs per year, but none on bass. I've had to cut back recently due to health issues (ME/CFS), but hope that won't stop me for too long. These days the bass sits in the corner and is only used for my (sadly occasional) home recording efforts. I wouldn't be without it, though.
[/quote]

I know where you are coming from.
Bloody M.E. is a complete b*$tard!

I thought I had seriously hit the bottom and couldn't see a way out but, very slowly, things picked up a bit.
I'm now functioning at around 65% of what I used to. A rehearsal needs a day of rest before and maybe 2 after.
I'm just greatful that it improved that much.
At least now that PACE has been rubbished they may invest in some research.
Take it easy Bud.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1476105185' post='3151298']
My last bass gig was about 5 years ago. Since then I've played an average of 20-30 gigs per year, but none on bass. I've had to cut back recently due to health issues (ME/CFS), but hope that won't stop me for too long. These days the bass sits in the corner and is only used for my (sadly occasional) home recording efforts. I wouldn't be without it, though.
[/quote]Sorry that your health issues has meant you cutting back on gigging, I hope that can find a way to get back out there again soon.

I think it is an interesting question.
I do gigs but infrequently, only 5-6 a year. As someone else posted, I don't particularly get anything from it really on an emotional level and just keep thinking of things I could be doing instead or that I feel like a prat with everyone looking at me. Or dreading the end where the drunks come up to you and tell you how they play and could have been big once, whilst you are trying to pack everything away.

I don't mind it overall, am happy to do it as and when the occasion arises but I would prefer either to play / record at home for my own amusement, or rehearse with guys you can call friends making some good music to the best of your ability. It is more of a technical challenge to me. If I didn't gig I would be content playing songs I can't yet play or writing original material at home... but probably would tend to play guitar over bass for a lot of the time; I agree with other comments that bass tends to be a backing instrument and I don't find it that interesting to just noodle on.

Other than the odd bit of dep work in a function band I haven't played bass in a proper gigging band for about 10 years though I really used to enjoy it. My main outlet for performing is playing caixa and repinique in samba groups. Main problem is these days I only enjoy listening to drum n bass, trip hop, world fusion, glitch, downtempo, progressive house etc and I can't find anyone who wants to play this sorta stuff.

You guys have far more serious health problems than me, and I sympathise greatly, and I really hope you can continue to play music for a good many years to come.

The health issues that I have is concerning my back, the vertebrae is very arthritic and has various abnormalities, they are not sure whether they can operate on it successfully, so at the moment they are just giving me a massive amount of painkillers, and morphine every four hours to mask the pain, its helps to take the edge off the pain if I'm just sitting/lying around on a soft sofa, which is what I'm doing now, but I can't walk more than 50 yards without severe pain kicking in and I have to stop, and I can't drive anywhere because its too painful, but more importantly, the drugs are affecting me a lot and I'm away with the fairies most of the time, so driving really is out of the question.

Luckily for me, I have a very understanding and sympathetic wife and she is going to drive to our rehearsal studio tonight, she's going to wait for me until we've finished, and then take me home again (its about a 80 minute round trip), and she has also been driving me to gigs, but quite honestly, I'm getting to the stage where I'm not sure whether I can carry on, the pain is so severe, and I'm all drugged up when I'm playing, I really feel that it is affecting my playing, I'm making silly mistakes that I've not made in the past, the guys in the band are great about it, and to be honest, I don't think they even notice, but I do, and it really bugs me.

The other thing that is really worrying me is the fact that I now have to sit on a stool to play a gig, the guys make a bit of a joke to the audience about me being the old git in the band, blah! blah! blah!, and admittedly, it does give the audience a laugh, and sometimes the banter can carry on all night which I honestly don't mind, I always enjoy a bit of banter, but sitting down! its just not rock & roll is it? :blush:

And to make matters worse, we are an old school R&B band, and about 80% of our set is made up of energetic Dr Feelgood material, so I should be walking about all over the stage whilst playing! :mellow:

[quote name='NickRiffed' timestamp='1476106290' post='3151316'] I know where you are coming from. Bloody M.E. is a complete b*$tard! I thought I had seriously hit the bottom and couldn't see a way out but, very slowly, things picked up a bit. I'm now functioning at around 65% of what I used to. A rehearsal needs a day of rest before and maybe 2 after. I'm just greatful that it improved that much. At least now that PACE has been rubbished they may invest in some research. Take it easy Bud. [/quote]
[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476106389' post='3151321'] Sorry that your health issues has meant you cutting back on gigging, I hope that can find a way to get back out there again soon. [/quote]
Thanks for your kind thoughts. Nick, great to hear there is some improvement. I think I'm not as badly off as some, as I am still just about hanging on to a day job and can make it out of the house on the odd evening for a few social and musical activities. I just have to be very careful not to overdo it - and sometimes I only know I've done too much when it's too late! Only had the condition for a couple of years or so and am still learning to manage it. I have periods when I seem more or less ok, then get cocky and overdo it and am back to square one. Good luck and better health to all out there who are struggling.

[quote name='NickRiffed' timestamp='1476106290' post='3151316']

I know where you are coming from.
Bloody M.E. is a complete b*$tard!

I thought I had seriously hit the bottom and couldn't see a way out but, very slowly, things picked up a bit.
I'm now functioning at around 65% of what I used to. A rehearsal needs a day of rest before and maybe 2 after.
I'm just greatful that it improved that much.
At least now that PACE has been rubbished they may invest in some research.
Take it easy Bud.
[/quote]

Amazed to see so many of us quoting ME as the reason we dropped gigging. That's what was behind my hiatus from 1992 to the turn of the millennium. Just far too fatigued even to play around the house. I count my blessings every day that I slowly climbed out of it and got pretty much back to normal. Well, except for the lingering effect it still has on my diabetic control making my blood sugars much more erratic than they ever should be. It really is a b**ch of a condition.

Some interesting stories, I've enjoyed reading this thread....and big shout out to all those carrying on in the face of pain and illness.

I started gigging at 14 - I played bass because it seemed easier than guitar, but I also did the vocals. I stopped at about 25 as kids came along and humping gear into the back of a van at 2.00 am on New Year's Day took the shine off the playing side. I love playing gigs....the buzz you get back from the audience is like being on drugs (I imagine) if it goes well.
Started again in my mid 40's playing guitar, then bought a bass and now I have a bedroom full of gear, play in a blues band and do acoustic stuff with the local guitar club (which involves some local gigs).
If that all fell apart tomorrow I'd get myself round the many acoustic nights in the local pubs and show them what the older guys can do (I'm 58).

Playing music with others is a special thing, but if that's not your bag, then being a bedroom warrior is just as valid and special.

To quote the Cream song....driving in my car, smoking my cigar, only really happy when I play my guitar*

*I'm pretty happy when I cuddle my new grandson tbh

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476049538' post='3150895']
For those that don't know, I'm 63 and plan on staying in the game for another 10 years.

What else would I do?

Blue
[/quote]
Way ahead of ya, Blue. First actual paying gig in 1954 (on banjo but who is counting?) and I am still playing all the gigs I can get at 72. So don't worry about how you will be coping in 10 years time. You will be just fine.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1476088327' post='3151027']

I'd like to gig until 70 if possible but if I don't, as long as there's an acoustic guitar laying around, that'll do. It doesn't have to be bass for me. I could quite easily spend my time working out the chords to old Burt Baccarach songs :D
[/quote]

Been gigging for 50 years. My plan is to do it for another 10. I'll be 73.

Blue

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1476100953' post='3151223']
I gigged a lot in my youth but I haven't played bass to a live audience (other than my disinterested children) for about, ooh, 15 years or so!

I am what Blue would refer to as a [i]"bedroom noodler"[/i]. I also play bass guitar (fnar, fnar ;)).

But... I churn out music on a frequent basis and my stuff does actually get listened to and occasionally played in clubs / on the radio / as a soundtrack to video blogs, etc. No substitute for standing on stage, of course, but I'm very content with my lot for the time being.
[/quote]

Skol, you really don't fit my definition of bedroom noodler.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476144362' post='3151801']
Every musician I know who is, is gigless.

Blue
[/quote]
i couldn't join a band playing music i don't like just to play a gig.

i have an addictive personality so when i'm in the right band i'm all in, but when i'm not i find other hobbies that i am equally as addicted to and put the bass down for a while.

i'd rather have no gigs and do something else i enjoy than play music i dislike just to play a gig... i've done it before and didn't enjoy any minute of the 6 months i was doing it (even though i was getting paid) and i ended up quitting for 18 months.

Edited by RockfordStone

Really interesting thread that puts a lot into perspective. I've been feeling a bit concerned recently that I think I may have the start of arthritis in my hands but to hear what some of you guys deal with and still keep going....

My band just had it's 21st anniversary of our first gig this summer. Stopped counting at 1000 gigs about 5 years ago although that number is increasing at a slower rate these days with family commitments so down to around 20-30 gigs a year these days with 153 being our busiest year about 15 years ago.
Right now we've got a few weeks off. Our last gig was 10th September and our next is 22nd October and it's driving me absolutely freaking nuts. I honestly found quitting smoking easier than this!

I understand why Blue is happy to play music he might not like, because for him, apart from his love of music and gigging, it is also his only source of income, and fair play to Blue for being able to make a living from gigging, even if he admits himself that it can be extremely hard work at times.

For me personally, I find it very hard to play music I don't enjoy, and as Barking Spiders said, it's hard to play with "feel", especially when you are just going through the motions when playing the song.

When I first started out about ten years ago, I was playing in a function band with a bunch of guys who loved "cheese" by the bucketful, I was totally out of place being in that band, not because they weren't good guys, because they were actually good friends as well as bandmates, it was because I preferred more rockier stuff, and was continually being outvoted on any material that I suggested, even though occasionally we would try some and it went down well, but by the next gig that song would be left out.

We played material like Moondance, Mr Bojangles, Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me, Gravity, etc, now to all you people who love these songs, please don't think I'm suggesting these are rubbish songs, because they are not, its just that I don't like them and found them extremely boring to play, so in the end I made the decision to leave and form a band playing material that I'm more into, obviously you still get the odd song that you play that you are not too keen on, but if I like 95% of the set, then I'm happy. :)

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1476173904' post='3151885']
Really interesting thread that puts a lot into perspective. I've been feeling a bit concerned recently that I think I may have the start of arthritis in my hands but to hear what some of you guys deal with and still keep going....

My band just had it's 21st anniversary of our first gig this summer. Stopped counting at 1000 gigs about 5 years ago although that number is increasing at a slower rate these days with family commitments so down to around 20-30 gigs a year these days with 153 being our busiest year about 15 years ago.
Right now we've got a few weeks off. Our last gig was 10th September and our next is 22nd October and it's driving me absolutely freaking nuts. I honestly found quitting smoking easier than this!
[/quote]Thats a great achievement Painy, have you been together all that time with the same lineup, or have you had a few changes along the way?
Either way, its still great that a bunch of guys can stay together playing music for so long.

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1476173904' post='3151885']

[/quote]

Have you seen your doctor about your hands ?

I remember seeing a tv show years ago about Les Paul. He gave up playing at one point, and started to develop arthritis. He went to his doctor who advised him to start playing again.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1476142228' post='3151784']

Way ahead of ya, Blue. First actual paying gig in 1954 (on banjo but who is counting?) and I am still playing all the gigs I can get at 72. So don't worry about how you will be coping in 10 years time. You will be just fine.
[/quote]
That's really cool - gives hope to those of us hitting middle age

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1476144362' post='3151801']

Every musician I know who is, is gigless.

Blue
[/quote]
I'm pretty fussy about what I play and who with and certainly won't play music I don't like but I'm pretty busy!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1476173121' post='3151868']
You say that TimR, Blue but if you don't like or are indifferent about the music you're playing how can you infuse it with that most important of elements, feel!. I've been in this situation enough times and never stayed long. I'd rather be gigless than play stuff I don't like.
[/quote]

There's a difference between not liking, being indifferent and being too picky and choosy.

I've come across musicians who just won't play certain tunes for no other reason than they don't like the artist.

Put 4 people like that in the room and you start to severely limit the music you're going to play.

Playing in a band is all about compromise, if the members of the band aren't going to compromise on anything then you won't get anywhere.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1476182526' post='3151981']

There's a difference between not liking, being indifferent and being too picky and choosy.

I've come across musicians who just won't play certain tunes for no other reason than they don't like the artist.

Put 4 people like that in the room and you start to severely limit the music you're going to play.

Playing in a band is all about compromise, if the members of the band aren't going to compromise on anything then you won't get anywhere.
[/quote]

Exactly. Almost every band I play for does at least one tune that I hate, you just have to play it. There's usually something you can get from playing a song you hate, maybe the guitarist or sax will play a nice solo or something.

I'm lucky that I have a creative outlet in my own solo bass stuff.