Why become a member? ×

Audition Intrigue

spectoremg

I'm auditioning for a band sometime soon and I've been given six songs to learn. The band play pop covers. Two of the songs I've been given aren't in their current set and I'm pretty sure never will be - and one of them is a real bass challenge.
I don't want to get into a discussion about levels of ability (and we're talking Geddy Lee) but I've got the feeling I'm being asked to do something that's unnecessarily difficult just to massage someones ego.
I haven't contacted the band about it because I've some other stuff to sort before I make contact.
Opinions please.

hmm.. yes, I think they are testing you...which tbf, is also the point of an audition.
I'd ask them about the song and say you'll put the work in IF there is a useable end reason, otherwise, give me a more relevant song.

Minus point for this band already, IMO... if they are into silly games like that...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473600639' post='3131504']
I would say do it if you really want the gig, get the 4 good ones nailed, and get the challenge one basically done, just to show you can do it, and say that you will get it completely accurate when you have to play it live :D
[/quote]

If this is real opportunity, a band that you really want to join and you've done your research on the band and your pretty sure your a natch, then I'd say learn it.

If not cancel the audition.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473600919' post='3131507']

If this is real opportunity, a band that you really want to join and you've done your research on the band and your pretty sure your a natch, then I'd say learn it.

If not cancel the audition.

Blue
[/quote]

I agree with this.

There's certainly an element of "Let's see how good you really are" to this, though. I'd get the relevant songs down quick and then have a right good go at the tough one. Never shy away from a challenge, it'll make you a better player at the end up.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1473599001' post='3131493']
I'm auditioning for a band sometime soon and I've been given six songs to learn. The band play pop covers. Two of the songs I've been given aren't in their current set and I'm pretty sure never will be - and one of them is a real bass challenge.
I don't want to get into a discussion about levels of ability (and we're talking Geddy Lee) but I've got the feeling I'm being asked to do something that's unnecessarily difficult just to massage someones ego.
I haven't contacted the band about it because I've some other stuff to sort before I make contact.
Opinions please.
[/quote]
As others have said; if you want to join the band and they've given you songs to learn, learn them, practise them until you never get them wrong and go and blow them away. Or cancel and do something else.

I agree with the above about learn it if you really want the gig

If your 50/50 then absolutely nail the ones in the set and just be honest that the harder one is to time consuming and see where it leaves you

Perhaps they are looking to do things with a new bass player that they couldn't do with the last one , hence it not being in the current set

Thanks for the replies so far. It isn't a case of the song being complicated - that wouldn't be a problem, it's simply beyond my ability. What's added to my suspicion is that Bohemian Rhapsody's in there, which I can do but I doubt would ever get gigged.
And to be fair to everyone the song's Spirit of Radio - the doodly bits are too fast for me.

How is this audition to proceed..? They surely don't expect you to play along to a backing track..? Are they to play [i]their [/i]parts..? Let 'em start off with the Queen one; you've got a minute or two before you even come in, and the bass is not, really, the most difficult part in that one. If the others pull it off I'd be surprised. As for the Rush number (I didn't know it, I'm not followed 'em specially, and am unimpressed by what I heard when I listened to it...), just follow the drummer. If [i]he [/i]gets it right straight into the intro, again, I'd be surprised. The actual fundamentals of the track are not that difficult on bass (if you not expected to sing, of course..!), and the 'doodly' bits are unplayable by mortals, anyway, so a 'fail' for all, there.
On the other hand, if they ask you to play those pieces [i]without [/i]their input, you'd be quite right in putting your bass back in its case and getting an audition with another, more reasonable, band. Either way, good luck with it and... Break a leg..! Keep us posted, please..?

Spirit of the radio, its only the beginning run, which is repeated later and at the end that are the tricky bits, but I can conceive of people doing that in an ordinary set (I have). But those bits you can skip out for an audition, and just do the main parts, which are mainly straight forward.

I really can't imagine a cover band doing [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bohemian Rhapsody but as was said, the bass comes in later, so you can at least see if they have done the work.[/font][/color]

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1473612181' post='3131643']...
Many thanks for the replies guys.
[/quote]

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1473612181' post='3131643']
Jeez I can be thick sometimes...
[/quote]

Maybe that's what they're testing, seeing just how far they could string you along..? :happy:

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1473613001' post='3131657']
found this..

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx8jLE3qVqA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=lx8jLE3qVqA[/url]
[/quote]

That's surely a joke video..? :unsure: It's all over the shop..! :o

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1473613208' post='3131661']
That's surely a joke video..? :unsure: It's all over the shop..! :o
[/quote]

I thought it was a bit ropey as well.... Reading down I saw that it was from guitar hero but that some people thought it was genuine.. I've removed the original post to avoid confusion :-)

Depends how confident you are but you also pull them up on a track if you think it doesn't work.
It is no good you perfecting a part note for note if the drummer, for example, does only his intepretation of it. You have to make it work together otherwise you aren't playing it.. you are just concentrating on your bit. (This is often why bands don't sound together... they aren't listening to each other and working the track.)

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1473613624' post='3131673']
Nope. That's Geddy, I think we'd all sound "all over the shop" isolated.
[/quote]

I'd say we really really shouldn't and anyone recording onto tape with punch-ins would have had this point demonstrated to them on more than a few occsasions.
Nowadays, with digital, it is far easier to clean up a track.... whether you want to waste time doing that is another thing.

I use Spirit of Radio as a home warm up, it was very hard to start with but it gets easier with every play and I think it's worth learning for your own growth (if you like rock or Rush). However, it's actually very hard to learn properly without the drummer you'll be playing it with as it's hard on them too and everyone will play it differently. You might find that this band will do it but without the fast run down part as I doubt their drummer is Neil Peart, so worth asking the question.