Why become a member? ×

Audition Intrigue

spectoremg

I think the song choice is a good one for the right pub.... the key to it is the drummer during the intro riff so that either works or it doesn't so it will be test for them as well.
If they don't nail that, then the song will have the best part missing IMO and the band aren't as good as they might think they are...

But anyway... we'll never know now..??

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1474101088' post='3135576']
im inclined to agree with several others above that both these are just being thrown in there to massage the guitards ego

aside... what widdly bits are you referring to ? TJH does a lot of rush vids on the youtubes and this one shows all the positions and fingering nice and clear

[url="https://youtu.be/p2XpKFGPUG0"]https://youtu.be/p2XpKFGPUG0[/url]
[/quote]I did say in the original post I didn't want this to be about personal ability/dick measuring. I can't and will never aspire to being able to play that quickly.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1474107961' post='3135651']

I think it gives the audience a chance to calm down a bit. Music is all about light and shade. Too many bands just play at an audience, assaulting them with a wall of noise.
[/quote]

We attract a lot of older couples that like to slow dance. We probably have a half dozen slow dance tunes for them.

"People Get Ready" still works quite well. People like it.

Blue

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1474121991' post='3135768']
I can't and will never aspire to being able to play that quickly.
[/quote]

The only reason for that is because you say it. I spent years saying that sort of thing, and I couldn't, because I assumed I couldn't. It was only when I decided that there was no reason I couldn't that I realised I could.
It is all just practice.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1474134813' post='3135886']
We attract a lot of older couples that like to slow dance. We probably have a half dozen slow dance tunes for them.
[/quote]

Thats fine if you have older couples that want to slow dance. If we have a group of drunk girls dancing on the floor, you don't need to play a slow song. If you do, they will never work out how to get up again.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474147237' post='3135966']
The only reason for that is because you say it. I spent years saying that sort of thing, and I couldn't, because I assumed I couldn't. It was only when I decided that there was no reason I couldn't that I realised I could.
It is all just practice.
[/quote]

I think you've slightly missed spectoremg's point: He can't play that fast at the moment, he may well be able to if he put the practice in but he doesn't want to play that fast so he is not prepared to spend the time practicing faster and faster technique. Different strokes and all that. I don't believe he is saying it because he thinks he's not able, he just doesn't want to.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1474189212' post='3136074']
I don't believe he is saying it because he thinks he's not able, he just doesn't want to.
[/quote]

Oh I got that, but it just sounds very much like me years ago, when I was holding myself back from doing what I wanted to do because I felt I couldn't do it.
Not necessarily that (which I get isn't the sort of music he wants to play anyway), but there are a load of fast bits in other songs that are nice to plays, which I have heard time and again (and done myself) people saying they are too fast or too tricky, and given up without starting.

I guess I am just replying to any previous me's out there who are doing the same as I was.

Don't get me wrong, I am not very fast or good, but I have been a lot better since I decided not to hold myself back from trying!

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1474194325' post='3136109']
Oh I got that, but it just sounds very much like me years ago, when I was holding myself back from doing what I wanted to do because I felt I couldn't do it.
Not necessarily that (which I get isn't the sort of music he wants to play anyway), but there are a load of fast bits in other songs that are nice to plays, which I have heard time and again (and done myself) people saying they are too fast or too tricky, and given up without starting.

I guess I am just replying to any previous me's out there who are doing the same as I was.

Don't get me wrong, I am not very fast or good, but I have been a lot better since I decided not to hold myself back from trying!
[/quote]
I'm a "previous you" and completely get what you are saying. We can all do it (to varying degrees) if we put the practice in. There are songs i play now that a few years ago would have seemed overwhelming. Woodinblack is right - its as simple as changing your mind and then doing the work. No black magic involved. That said, if you are happy doing what you are doing then the above is irrelevant

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1474197830' post='3136141']
That said, if you are happy doing what you are doing then the above is irrelevant
[/quote]

Not really, because you don't know if you would be happy doing other things unless you try it. I was happy before, and I am always happy playing, but I am happy that I can play more and have more options open to me. I just think there are enough people in the world happy to put you down, you shouldn't be one of them :D