Why become a member? ×

Strange response, am I missing something?

karlfer

What a lot of these people who've probably only ever played in their bedrooms or a small venue is that as soon as you are above normal try and match the loud drummer levels and into a big enough place to mic all the drums is that often your cabs are then just expensive monitors for your benefit only especially if you're short on channels and end up using DI only !

if you have a PA advanced enough to support a good front of house sound and well balanced monitoring, then the need for an amp on stage is purely preference and for image really.

a lot of top bands now don't go with the traditional amps rig, they may have specific heads run through a PA set up but the whole wall of cabs thing is an idea that is long gone

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472247784' post='3119873']I've always wondered how Freddie Kreuger managed the toilet :blink:
[/quote]

Very carefully.

What sort of band has no backplane on stage?

Does it matter? Do you want to buy an amp or criticise why I'm selling it?

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472247784' post='3119873']
I dunno, I leave you lot alone for an hour................. :lol:

I've always wondered how Freddie Kreuger managed the toilet :blink:
[/quote]
Perhaps it's a seemingly complicated arrangement that is obvious to those who know. A bit like the sea shells...

I like having my amp behind me on stage, especially as I only bought it because it's very pretty and has nice blue lights on the front. :crazy:

Fortunately it also sounds rather lovely too but there are places I've played where the load in has got me thinking about IEMs.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1472332007' post='3120453']
How are you going to make your trousers flap Karl? Will you have a roadie with a reel of fishing line helping you out?
[/quote]

The approved method is actually to attach one end of a piece of string to your belt and then tie the other end to a live haddock which should then be lowered down the inside of your trouser leg to just below the knee. As the haddock flaps about it will naturally cause your trousers to also flap sympathetically. To accurately reproduce the specific trouser flap of an all tube amp through a fridge, this should ideally be an organically reared, line caught haddock (obviously).

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1472341638' post='3120522']

The approved method is actually to attach one end of a piece of string to your belt and then tie the other end to a live haddock which should then be lowered down the inside of your trouser leg to just below the knee. As the haddock flaps about it will naturally cause your trousers to also flap sympathetically. To accurately reproduce the specific trouser flap of an all tube amp through a fridge, this should ideally be an organically reared, line caught haddock (obviously).
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1472341638' post='3120522']
[/quote]

Don't be ridiculous. You can only use haddock at seaside gigs. You don't get sea air in Wigan.
The boys in the know round here use imported Rainbows :rolleyes:

I think it's a bit of an odd reply for someone to say "what kind of band have no amps/cabs onstage.
But having thought about it.
Many big successful groups still have gear onstage. You could say it's not needed but it is for the image that comes with some types of music.

Now I would not enjoy a band any less of they were pa only but I would honestly think in the back of my mind that there is something missing. A backline adds to the show subconsciously. Unless it's an acoustic set, or orchestra etc.

This is in no offense to anyone at all. But to me and I'm guessing a lot of others it looks a bit sterile, too commercial even. Kinda it does take away some of the magic of a live show. From pub gig to stadium events. Also it make a big stage look sparse.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1472357006' post='3120531']
Many big successful groups still have gear onstage.
[/quote]

Many of the bands that don't have gear on stage, ZZ Top, U2 etc have the amps by the side of the stage, being operated by their sound crew.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472378505' post='3120625']

Many of the bands that don't have gear on stage, ZZ Top, U2 etc have the amps by the side of the stage, being operated by their sound crew.
[/quote]

What sort of band have there cabs at the side of the stage?

I must be the only bugger here who likes electronic drums. Modern electro kits are incredible. The only reason my drummer doesn't bring his out to gigs is that the wiring loom takes ages to sort out, even with his careful braiding and colour-coding.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1472392007' post='3120749']

Then you may miss a treat. A *good* e-kit is great and sounds great onstage too.
[/quote]

The reason I don't like them is because I've been there and done that. I can assure you I'm not missing any kind of treat.

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1472396213' post='3120780']
The reason I don't like them is because I've been there and done that. I can assure you I'm not missing any kind of treat.
[/quote]

our experiences disagree... welcome to BassChat then, business as usual :lol:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1472390464' post='3120734']
I must be the only bugger here who likes electronic drums. Modern electro kits are incredible. The only reason my drummer doesn't bring his out to gigs is that the wiring loom takes ages to sort out, even with his careful braiding and colour-coding.
[/quote]

I depped for a band I was formerly in on Saturday. Drummer now uses an electronic kit. We were having fun choosing a snare sound.

I found it a bit of a relief on the ears not having a cymbal just by me (especially as he's quite a cymbalphiliac).