Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

One for the 5er players...advice, please: 35" scale on a budget?

Muzz

Sooo, I have a friend who wants to acquire a 5er (sounds like a confession, I know, but it really isn't me :D ) for a studio project. He's a 7-string guitard and wants to play around in drop tunings, specifically down to A/Ab. He's asked if I can recommend a budget (£300 or so secondhand) 5er that would suit, and my first thought was that if he can find a 35 scale he might have a better shot at detuning the B without it basically falling off the bass...

Sooo, any budget 35" scale 5ers worth recommending? Any 34" scale basses that'd suit a detuned B?

All suggestions welcomed... ;)

I've got aYamaha TRB 5 which is 35" scale. Very good instrument, but it might b a struggle to find one within the budget.

However MrMcgoo1964 has, on this very forum, a Yamahs BB425 5 stringer for sale within your friends budget.
You'll see from the photo that this model has an extended length B string at the bridge. I'm not sure if it takes it to 35".

IME adding an inch onto the scale length of a bass in order to get a better feeling and sounding low B is a complete red herring. In reality it's all about the right string (which varies depending on the bass) and a decently stiff neck and a great neck joint (ideally neck through). Therefore the problem with cheap 35" scale basses is that money has been spent making the neck longer (and most likely less rigid) rather than on things that might actually make a positive difference.

I can't help with any specific models except at that price point he's going to need to be looking at something second-hand and deeply unfashionable in order for it the be cheap and good enough. Get him to try everything he can and then budget another £60 looking for the right strings to down tune it another 2-3 semitones.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1470679042' post='3107610']

However MrMcgoo1964 has, on this very forum, a Yamahs BB425 5 stringer for sale within your friends budget.
You'll see from the photo that this model has an extended length B string at the bridge. I'm not sure if it takes it to 35".
[/quote]
It doesn't, though it might help with intonation.
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470677945' post='3107597']
Not sure about 35" but a SGC Nanyo Bass Collection would be on my list?
[/quote]
34", nice one for sale in the forum at the moment.

A used Yamaha TRB 1005 would fit the bill if you can find one.

Likewise a MTD Kingston, though I'm not ready to let mine go for £300.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20SOLD/Sales%20Support/CIMG1200.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Equipment%20and%20stuff%20SOLD/Sales%20Support/CIMG1200.jpg[/IMG][/URL]