Why become a member? ×

New opportunity - Covers Band

AndyTravis

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1470327890' post='3105196']
Out of interest, is that a typical covers band set list? I ask as there are only 2 bands on the list I've actually heard of! I knew I was out of touch, but I didn't know how far!
[/quote]

There are only one or two I [i]haven't [/i]heard of and I'm certainly no spring chicken! :D

Edited by discreet

Out of interest, is that a typical covers band set list? I ask as there are only 2 bands on the list I've actually heard of! I knew I was out of touch, but I didn't know how far!
[/quote]

I've depped with around 15 covers bands over the past year and the majority of their sets are made up with these songs. The only one on their I havent encountered is the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Tiao Cruz number..... all the rest pretty much feature.

It's affectionately known around our area as the Mcdonalds Menu (there's a band on every street offering these songs) [/font][/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1470328328' post='3105202']
There are only one or two I haven't heard of and I'm certainly no spring chicken! :D
[/quote]

I suspect I'm more ostrich than chicken, head buried deep in the sand.

Yeah, I'll be going for it. Just need to run through it without getting too precious and just start adding in where appropriate.

The drummer is someone I'm looking forward to playing with...so it all has its positives.

Another nark for me is the no rehearsals before the first gig, I would prefer not going in blind. But if they're playing them straight from the tune...can't see any major issues.

I play in an acdc covers band playing music I love. We do about 1 gig a month for about £50 each a gig. I could go back to playing your set list no problem if I could get 1 or 2 gigs a week earning decent cash.

The list isn`t too bad, I have played much worse songs than that :D And it gives you the chance to play with different people and you never know where that might lead.

But where is the Slosh and Mustang Sally???? :ph34r:

None of those songs are my taste but for a cover band that's aiming higher than the usual run of the mill pub stuff, they are a great set of choruses and hook lines. And none of that silly time wasting rehearsal business!!

If the band is a good and professional bunch then I'd get out my megaphone and say, "Don't screw it up!"

Anyway, let me know if you need a dep.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1470328560' post='3105205']
Another nark for me is the no rehearsals before the first gig, I would prefer not going in blind. But if they're playing them straight from the tune...can't see any major issues.
[/quote]

Mentally preparing for the bass break in 'Forget You' should keep you awake for the first few numbers anyway. :)

I quite liked a lot of the songs on the set list and played many of them in my last covers band, we played them well and they went down well, I actually wish we could play to the same enthusiastic audiences with the originals band I play in now!

My pet hate in there is "Moves Like Jagger" hateful drivel, I managed to talk our lot out of doing it because we didn't do it justice, it sounded weak and amateur, get your foot in the door and use your wealth of experience to persuade them to weed out the ones that you don't feel go down well.....although you may be on a loser with KOL and Killers they always seem to go down a storm!

Take the gig, pocket the money, buy more gear....you know it makes sense!

[/quote]
I hope one of those are the Beatles Finn

Edited by rogerstodge

Can see your dilemma. I have never played just for money. I like to be paid but its never really bothered me.
I've taken on bands where set list was boring and couldn't take to it. There was no natural power or energy in the songs. It was more like routine playing just for the sake of it.
Prefering rock or Prog bands i like that raw energy and that's where i get my fix. Knowing that the energy i put into a song pushes it that little bit more. There's nothing more satisfying than doing a classic rock song and it all just works so well the audience can't get enough of you.

Then my alarm usually goes off and i need to get up for work LOL

I won't play in another band just to get gigs. I'll only play in bands i actually like the songs and really want to put 110% into playing.

Dave

A bland set list or a set list full of tunes that slightly tipsy punters love to get up and dance and sing along to...? It's a wedding/function band so I'd suggest that this is nearly the perfect set list. You'd need to throw in Mustang Sally, Brown Eyed Girl, Sweet Home Alabama and maybe some Oasis tunes to make it perfect. As in, perfectly fitted to what the band is being paid to do. It may not match my personal playlist but that's not the point.

For me there was always a LOT of enjoyment to be had from playing MY version of this sort of tune with musos who played really well and were a laugh to hang around with to a room full of people having a tangibly great time. For me that is as much or even more of a buzz than the actual chord sequences/notes being played. Artistic fulfilment can always be found in other projects, and besides learning good stage projection and the ability to connect with/drive an audience as a muso and as a band is also a skill that can be developed and honed in these sorts of musical situations.

And as to Wal or Enfield? I would strongly advise... BOTH! ;)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1470320488' post='3105103']
Just been offered a position with a covers band who do regular gigs and get good money doing so. All weddings, no scrotty pubs and clubs...

The band I'm currently in hasn't gigged in ages and to be frank, they're pissing me off so I don't mind leaving them behind, and selling the PA would see a return into my pocket.

The thing is, I've been sent a set list and it's all so bland I can't bring myself to be excited about playing any of it. I've just played 36 songs without having played them before and grasped them to a passable level.

Is it wrong to be turning down £100-£200 a gig just because of be bored shitless playing the tunes?

I could do with the cash while Mrs T is on maternity as the general use and savings are being used to supplement income loss.

There just doesn't seem to be any flexibility or room for change in the set, and to be frank some of the tunes are the songs I'd turn the radio off if they came on - undoubtedly popular tunes but the kind of stuff I completely hate.

It's easy money, sure, and I'd feel guilty for turning down the money...especially 14 gigs before new year and I'd be a knob if I went back to moaning about the lack of work with the old band...

I'm sure this makes sense somehow...I just need a kick up the arse and "take the money and run".

But just as I was giving up on the covers band thing, this has come along.
[/quote]

It's not wrong.

However, if your in this to play only music you enjoy and your not flexible, your probably better off in the basement with a band with no gigs but play's music you like.

Let someone who want to work and make some money take the wedding band opportunity.

Respect

Blue

Edited by blue

No point me commenting in the repertoire as such since I haven't a clue - wrong genre for me. But, I suspect the reason they're getting decent gigs that pay is that it's the right material for the target audience. As suggested, that's the income generator, sounds like a good networking opportuity, and kick off other projects where you can strut your stuff...

[quote name='kusee pee' timestamp='1470321633' post='3105129']
Depends if you get your fun more from the music you play or how the audience responds. We play largely bland stuff from my point of view but when it gets a crowd up, dancing and happy then it's all worth it in my book. In an ideal world, I'd be playing early 80s new romantic dance grooves to a wild audience but the latter rarely seems to be drawn to the former. And it's the latter that is needed to let me play bass live on a regular basis.
[/quote]

Excellent point!

Blue