Why become a member? ×

New opportunity - Covers Band

AndyTravis

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1470332893' post='3105253']
I hope one of those are the Beatles Finn
[/quote]

It'd be hard to have grown up in 1960s England and not have heard of them. The Kinks were the other ones on the list I recognised, I've even played 'You Really Got Me' in the current band (only the once, mind!)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1470343513' post='3105415']
Opportunity duly taken,
[/quote]

Good stuff.

I'm with JTUK on this. I have played with some fantastic players and I can remember every one of them, but I couldn't tell you any of the songs we played.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1470339794' post='3105353']
Can see your dilemma. I have never played just for money. I like to be paid but its never really bothered me.
I've taken on bands where set list was boring and couldn't take to it. There was no natural power or energy in the songs. It was more like routine playing just for the sake of it.
Prefering rock or Prog bands i like that raw energy and that's where i get my fix. Knowing that the energy i put into a song pushes it that little bit more. There's nothing more satisfying than doing a classic rock song and it all just works so well the audience can't get enough of you.

Then my alarm usually goes off and i need to get up for work LOL

I won't play in another band just to get gigs. I'll only play in bands i actually like the songs and really want to put 110% into playing.

Dave
[/quote]

I really like Prog and other progressive genres.

However, when it comes down to gigging and making a band choice, I'd pick a Polka Band with paying gigs over a Prog bsnd with no gigs.

Blue

I will clarify something.

When my first Daughter (Ella, now 7) was born, I was in a touring originals band with a record deal.

I wasn't home a lot and when me and her mum separated (not because of the band) I carried on for ages and it ate into my time with her.

Now I have Maggie too, I'm concerned that I won't be home much at certain times.

But, I'll give it a go and see how a more stable home life sits with it all.

can't see 'Crystal Chandelier' so go for it

here's what Steve Miller thinks....

[size=3][font=arial, sans-serif]This here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue
Two young lovers with nothin' better to do
Than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube
And here is what happened when they decided to cut loose[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]They headed down to, ooh, old El Paso
That's where they ran into a great big hassle
Billy Joe shot a man while robbing his castle
Bobbie Sue took the money and run[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif]Go on take the money and run.............[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I'm not advocating shooting someone...obvs![/font][/size]

Edited by ricksterphil

I never thought I'd end up in a weddings band being mostly into funk, reggae, live drum & bass & prog rock but I took it on doing the mundane set list ( although admittedly not as bad as the OP's :P ) and have added my own flavour here and there over the last 4 years. Lots of buffets, occasional decent meal, occasional Accomodation, mostly appreciative crowds, sexy bridesmaids, and a few pennies at the end of it all to fund the GAS....I also think my playing has improved as has my understanding of music theory...give it a whirl, you maybe surprised and if not your thing I'm sure there will be plenty of deps about where money is concerned ;)

I must admit that that setlist would crush my soul :( However if you need the cash and think you can tough it out, go for it. I'd love to be able to suck it up and get out there playing a cookie cutter set that makes me money. Lord knows I could do with the cash. But I've tried it and I just end up feeling dead inside :D

Personally, my first love is music and not necessarily just playing bass. I've done enough gigs in my time that I am over gigging for the sake of it. I want to gig music that I love and I want to play those songs with as much energy and passion as if I wrote them myself. When my current band starts gigging it won't be just because that's what bands do. It will be because we're doing great versions of great songs and the public deserve to experience the awesomeness of it all :D

But that's just me :D

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1470329605' post='3105215']
Ah, the lie all bands tell deps/newbies :lol:
[/quote]That's funny !

Along with 'don't worry, we've got the pad', 'all in standard keys' 'as written' 'just follow me' etc etc

:D

I stood in live for an Americana band recently, which really isn't my thing, but I thought 'hey, even a chimp could play this' - wrong! It was a good band, but I fell at every hurdle - my heart and instincts couldn't ever be in it and couldn't wait for the gig to end. For me the prime motivator is enjoying the music the band plays, and without that it just doesn't work ! I still shudder thinking about it - did I really do that ?

LD

LD

It seems to me that if you start anything with negative thoughts then it's a hard slog to get any joy out of life.

IMO this is a great set for a cover band because it's a great set for an audience.

On the networking front - the last audition I did for a band was in 1985. Since then I've constantly gigged. For several years I was playing 150 gigs a year on a professional level. I managed to do this by word of mouth or from people seeing me play and I can't network for toffee! One of the better gigs came when the band leader saw me trying to play my socks off with a very average band in a dump of a gig. Play every note like it's the most important thing in your life. Every musician you play with or who sees you playing is an opportunity.

(/pep talk)

If the players aren't quite there for you right away... then it is just a question of how long you can hang on for until you gel.

I tend to be pretty brutal on drummers with regards to groove and time .. but that is because I've been very lucky to play with
some very very talented guys so the bar was set high.
If the guys will take a bit of direction and don't try too hard...solid sound and time is sometimes all that they need to get... then a handful of gigs will get them there.

Playing a set well trumps the songs IMO. It is very hard to have a popular that everyone loves...
I do agree it should be the goal, but sometimes killing the set can get you by.

I'd at least give it a hearing to see how far apart from your expectations they may or may not be...

Bit of perspective. It might be music you personally dislike but isn't it great to get paid to play music in a band that someone has chosen specifically to entertain their guests at the biggest day of their lives?!

Can't hurt to make other people happy and pick up a bit of money at the same time, right?

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1470384394' post='3105585']
When my current band starts gigging it won't be just because that's what bands do. It will be because we're doing great versions of great songs and the public deserve to experience the awesomeness of it all :D
[/quote]

And because you find venues that are willing to hire you.

Blue