Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

A couple of additions to the main board, with the GLXD appearing and covering wireless and tuning duties. 

The Origin DCX is new. I'd only just put it in the board and didn't have any time to mess about with it, so just used some sample settings. It seemed to be ok, although I need more time to figure it out.

20230715_204743.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks to recommendations from @Osiris I have finally found a compressor that really compliments the Alix. The Effectrode PC-2A runs hot hence the big gap between the two, you can see the vents on the side of the unit. The Alix and the PC-2A are a marriage made in heaven, @Jabba_the_gut basses into this little board and out to a QSC K12.2 is the perfect set up for the kind of music we make ('acoustic' duo)...

IMG_4378.thumb.jpeg.1c83bf12a59774c9ccc29f1b4df2b3f0.jpeg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

It's on my list!

The VCA compressor part is excellent. Drive is too fizzy/fuzzy for me 

Envelope Filter has a couple of majestic settings just takes a while to dial in and is fussy regarding different basses. 

Still a very good purchase 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bagman said:

This isn’t quite correct or settled but getting there. I do need to fit a Sadowsky Pre/DI on the end as well

not sure if I like the new Diamond more than the IMG_0711.thumb.jpeg.521c78121ff7a93572cf1c258489330d.jpegold one 

Looks like you're a bass player after my own heart.

Lots if lovely looking pedals. 

How do you get on with the Boost Chorus?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

Looks like you're a bass player after my own heart.

Lots if lovely looking pedals. 

How do you get on with the Boost Chorus?

I think the Tech21 is the best chorus I have tried. It’s got a lot of different options as well. I don’t think they are made anymore. There’s also a Blue version but I don’t know if it’s the same tones

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ahpook said:

Nice to see a Wounded Paw in there :)

Yes previously I had a Wounded Paw Attack Goat which is a fuzz that is best with an envelope filter. 

I use the Battering Ram as a low OD mainly but it certainly can get very growls if required 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bagman said:

I think the Tech21 is the best chorus I have tried. It’s got a lot of different options as well. I don’t think they are made anymore. There’s also a Blue version but I don’t know if it’s the same tones

I’ve got one, it’s fantastic 

the blue one is aimed for guitars and doesn’t have the detune and has a pre delay. I guess the button must do something different too

• Like 1

Picked up a few pedals from here recently so been busy making a stand with a drawer for a couple of smaller boards.    Wanted to try using both QMX and Swiss Things on a larger board, didn't really work so opted to use them on smaller boards.

a.jpg

aa.jpg

b.jpg

bb.jpg

bbb.jpg

cc.jpg

d.jpg

d1.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

One day I'll just stop... One day.

Added an EBS Microbass ii yesterday and put all the other pedals into a loop. I might go ampless a lot more now so having this pedal and the ability to loop the others into it gives me a lot more control. I also moved the Limiter/ Enhancer to the end of the chain rather than first, which I'm not sure about yet, giving it some trial and error. 

I swapped out the Marshall Guvnor for a Jackhammer and I think it will stay that way. The Guvnor was really good for lead guitar style tones but the Jackhammer is a lot more usable and can switch from overdrive to distortion. 

The AMT Bass wah might go soon, I like bass wah but I'm hardly using it at all. 

The Joyo Analogue Delay and Marshall Vibratrem were good, cheap additions, and for some synthy songs give me a little extra texture and sound fantastic with fretless. 

The Darkglass Fuzz remains as ever, absolutely fantastic. It's probably my favourite pedal. 

I experimented with a Marshall Regenerator which has six modulation types onboard but I ended up preferring my TC Corona for bass at least. 

PXL_20230720_085928653.jpg

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

I am a ‘compression at the end’ person. I treat is very much as a limiter, to tame the peaks of more extreme effect combinations.

I’m relatively new to this - first proper board should be on here in a couple of days - and one combination I’ve tried is with my old TC Spectradrive at the end of the chain with a limiter-type TonePrint. In a live DI situation, though, I know that the mix engineer typically has limiters on every channel anyway, so I don’t really know. 

• Like 1

I’ve said before but if money/board space no option then I’d compress at the front (when needed) and limit at the end (all the time). In the absence of that I’m very much end of chain for comp: for me I use it around 4:1 on the worst peaks and that helps both dry and effected sounds. If your effects chuck out a lot of low freqs, a high pass filter can really help save speakers and give FOH a more palatable signal!

• Like 1

Here's my "eclectic" board: first "finished" version, though there's some tidying up to do.

PedalboardV1.thumb.png.fc721d94bf5391c2033673b4beb0589f.png

Board: Harley Benton Spaceship 40 with the 40-B battery PSU. The PSU is built in to the board: I'm surprised they don't advertise these boards more, but they just happened to release a short promo video yesterday. There are wider 60cm and 80cm versions too. It uses an external 24V universal PSU.

Signal Chain:

• Peterson StroboStomp Mini tuner; you can't beat a strobotuner in my opinion.
  • Orange KongPressor (top right): it's an opto compressor, running on 12V, and I actually find it quite mild and "non-obvious" until I do things like play around with pickup levels. The "Chime" control is a gentle EQ for fine-tuning, doesn't affect tone in general;
  • MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, bought from @sumorabbit last week, arriving yesterday. So I'm still figuring it out, but like what I hear so far.
  • JHS 3 Series Phaser: from a local shop here, I was kind-of surprised they had one. Can be obnoxious if I want, but in general I have the blend dialled back a bit and feedback switch off, so it's more about gentle movement and I like it a lot.
  • T-Rex Diva Drive: also new, a bit of a punt on bass; possibly the cheapest overdrive with a mix control, it also has a low voice EQ switch. Having it after the compressor might be a mistake, since I feel like I want a more dynamic drive attack. More tuning required.
  • Tone City Matcha Cream: a fairly blunt instrument. A cheap Green Russian Big Muff clone, I'm told. You lose bass if you have the tone control near the top. Some interesting interactions with the other pedals.
  • Boss MD-200: this is me trying to figure out what kinds of modulation I like, since I've hardly used any besides phaser. It looks like I'm only in to subtle modulation, and the MD-200 does far more than I need. I like the Overtone function for pseudo 8-string, but if I have e.g. fuzz and/or phaser going too, it's a wall of sound. That too-big Akai pedal is currently set to control effect depth. I don't know if I'll keep this long-term.
  • TC SpectraDrive: my oldest pedal, this will be the "finalizer" as required for the application. At the moment I'm only using the stereo Aux In from the MD-200 and then to headphones. I can use it as a limiter / amp sim / DI, or bypass it if going in to a house amp.

Known Issues:

• Gain structure needs work. I probably have the output volume on the KongPressor too low at this point, affecting how the octaver and the drive stages behave.
  • No delay or reverb yet: does it need any? I don't know.
  • Cab sim needed?
  • I know stereo bass is not really a thing in live settings: it's ear candy on headphones for now, but I shouldn't get too used to it.
  • Like 5

This is about the third iteration of my home-made pedal board. Nothing fancy, just basic Boss pedals and a passive DI. The tuner has the handy side-effect of splitting out a signal for my IEMs. The EQ is mostly used to stop my upright feeding back. The pedal in the middle slot varies, but isn't ever tremolo when playing bass! I built the board for gigs with a PA, where I'm using IEMs - although I don't actually do any of those anymore. It runs from a cordless drill battery and I get 3-4 months use from a single charge. 

board - 1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rosie C said:

This is about the third iteration of my home-made pedal board. Nothing fancy, just basic Boss pedals and a passive DI. The tuner has the handy side-effect of splitting out a signal for my IEMs. The EQ is mostly used to stop my upright feeding back. The pedal in the middle slot varies, but isn't ever tremolo when playing bass! I built the board for gigs with a PA, where I'm using IEMs - although I don't actually do any of those anymore. It runs from a cordless drill battery and I get 3-4 months use from a single charge. 

board - 1.jpeg

Can't go wrong with a stage bug! 

• Like 3