Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1286047' date='Jun 29 2011, 08:34 AM']What does it do to your sound and what are you using it with?[/quote]

Bandwidth Optimiser. Basically it allows your amp/cab to run more efficiently by rolling off the really low frequencies. Hence 'Thumpinator' :)

I'm tempted by the Thumpinator as well... But being that my aim is to generate loads of sub from my huge chain I worry that using it before the effects chain will be pointless given how much sub generating stuff comes after, and using it at the end of the chain will effect the sub tones I generate?

Shep

Can't quite see that it would really work though!

[quote name='Higgie' post='1286378' date='Jun 29 2011, 01:28 PM']Bandwidth Optimiser. Basically it allows your amp/cab to run more efficiently by rolling off the really low frequencies. Hence 'Thumpinator' :)[/quote]

It cuts everything below 30Hz. Your cabs probably wont make much use of the stuff below 35-40Hz.

This could effectively allow you to produce more useable bass as the drivers wouldn't be straining from trying to cope with unused frequencies.

Theory makes sense, has anyone used one and if so with what results?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1286885' date='Jun 29 2011, 07:59 PM']It cuts everything below 30Hz. Your cabs probably wont make much use of the stuff below 35-40Hz.

This could effectively allow you to produce more useable bass as the drivers wouldn't be straining from trying to cope with unused frequencies.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1286848' date='Jun 29 2011, 07:37 PM']Can't quite see that it would really work though![/quote]
Though I've not heard it in person, in principle it makes total sense. Here is a video demonstrating the visible effects.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1287300' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:44 AM']I guess the [b][size=3]humpinator [/size][/b]would be a more efficient way of doing it.[/quote]
That's an altogether [i]different [/i]kind of device that Max would be offering. His surname is [i]not [/i]Moseley.

...and I imagine it would be a more efficient way of 'doing it'... it certainly would reduce the need to find a willing partner!

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1287308' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:53 AM']Though I've not heard it in person, in principle it makes total sense. Here is a video demonstrating the visible effects.

[/quote]

Thats the thing - you can see the difference - but can you really hear it?

I like the idea of optimising my rig and have mulled with the idea of getting one of these for ages. Still on the fence.

[quote name='burno70' post='1287427' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:40 AM']Thats the thing - you can see the difference - but can you really hear it?[/quote]
Isn't the idea that you [b]can't[/b] really hear it? It's getting rid of the rumble you can't hear in the first place, so your speakers can work more efficiently, no?

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1287432' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:44 AM']Isn't the idea that you [b]can't[/b] really hear it? It's getting rid of the rumble you can't hear in the first place, so your speakers can work more efficiently, no?[/quote]
yes, that's pretty much correct. how much it helps though depends on if the amp already has a built in high-pass filter (many do) and the quality of that filter, so it may make a bigger difference in some situations than others. still, it wouldn't ever hurt, i shouldn't think.

yeh, if you can see it working but not hear it, it's doing a perfect job. It's to give you more headroom basically - to make life easier for your amp/cabs (I think).

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1287311' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:57 AM']That's an altogether [i]different [/i]kind of device that Max would be offering. His surname is [i]not [/i]Moseley.

...and I imagine it would be a more efficient way of 'doing it'... it certainly would reduce the need to find a willing partner![/quote]

I might change my username to "the humpinator!"

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1287432' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:44 AM']Isn't the idea that you [b]can't[/b] really hear it? It's getting rid of the rumble you can't hear in the first place, so your speakers can work more efficiently, no?[/quote]
Yup! If you have standard ear buds try sticking a bass boost setting on your ipod/equivalent mp3 device. You are likely to find that the bass increase is negligible if even discernible, but the overall volume will drop and the top end seems slightly more muted. Take off the bass boost and the volume shoots back up along with the normal treble content. My understanding that this occurs because the driver is wasting energy trying to inefficiently reproduce frequencies that it inherently struggles with, and this occurs at the expense of the rest of the frequency content. Probably an incorrect analogy (to a greater or lesser extent) and not quite what happens, but gives a rough idea (I think?)...

Therefore, if your cab is only being fed frequencies it can DEFINITELY handle at power levels it can DEFINITELY handle, it's likely to perform better.

[quote]Isn't the idea that you can't really hear it? It's getting rid of the rumble you can't hear in the first place, so your speakers can work more efficiently, no?[/quote]

I get ya, but shouldn't a more efficiently run cab sound noticeably better? Sorry if I sound sceptical here - I'm not at all. Like I said, I've been tempted by this pedal before - its just that there are few demos and reviews to rely on. I think it may be more of benefit if your speakers are farting like Dannybouy said.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1286833' date='Jun 29 2011, 07:27 PM']I'm tempted by the Thumpinator as well... But being that my aim is to generate loads of sub from my huge chain I worry that using it before the effects chain will be pointless given how much sub generating stuff comes after, and using it at the end of the chain will effect the sub tones I generate?

Shep[/quote]
Your cabs almost certainly don't properly generate the frequencies that the thumpinator is cutting out. You'd be hard pushed to find a lot of PAs in venues that most of us play that can REALLY handle that kind of frequency properly too. I think if anything it would tighten your sub sound up. YMMV.

I wonder if he makes a tweakable version where you can move the cut off up or down by @ 10hz? So if you need some more low rumbles for your dub sounds & you have the subs then you could cut off below 20-25hz, or if you go for a more jazz/punk tone, take the cut off to @ 40hz.

On 2nd thoughts, if you have the subs you won't need one.