Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='Finbar' post='1287993' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:08 PM']Your cabs almost certainly don't properly generate the frequencies that the thumpinator is cutting out. You'd be hard pushed to find a lot of PAs in venues that most of us play that can REALLY handle that kind of frequency properly too. I think if anything it would tighten your sub sound up. YMMV.[/quote]

Maybe. The theory is great... If it did tighten up the subs then I'd be all for it... I don't want to gamble on it though. If any kind basschatter fancies lending me one for a week shout up!!! :)

I'm sorry but just can't hear any difference in tone or sound - yes the speakers move less but really so what?

[quote name='burno70' post='1287427' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:40 AM']Thats the thing - you can see the difference - but can you really hear it?

I like the idea of optimising my rig and have mulled with the idea of getting one of these for ages. Still on the fence.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1288230' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:14 PM']I'm sorry but just can't hear any difference in tone or sound - yes the speakers move less but really so what?[/quote]
If you're getting all the same sound & your speakers are moving less, then they ain't working as hard.
This means you can turn up the bass or volume further & not be putting as much stress on your drivers, thus increasing your headroom.
Actually, I think I want one now! That'll be my purchase after the octaver. How much are they?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1288172' date='Jun 30 2011, 08:29 PM']Maybe. The theory is great... If it did tighten up the subs then I'd be all for it... I don't want to gamble on it though. If any kind basschatter fancies lending me one for a week shout up!!! :)[/quote]
I'm not using mine at the moment. If you want to borrow it for a few days I'm cool with that if you cover postage :) PM me.

So I am thinking that the Thumpinator and the Auralex Gramma pad would produce the tightest most focus bass sound that I have ever heard or could also be a wast of another £170!!

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1288274' date='Jun 30 2011, 09:48 PM']Not cheap. But if it works like I think it does, then it's cheaper than adding another cab to get that extra volume.[/quote]

[quote name='Finbar' post='1288481' date='Jul 1 2011, 01:04 AM']I'm not using mine at the moment. If you want to borrow it for a few days I'm cool with that if you cover postage :) PM me.[/quote]

PM inbound!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1288532' date='Jul 1 2011, 07:14 AM']So I am thinking that the Thumpinator and the Auralex Gramma pad would produce the tightest most focus bass sound that I have ever heard or could also be a wast of another £170!![/quote]

I use a Gramma pad already. Does wonders on stage floors. Never notice a difference in the rehearsal room, bit use it all the time from force of habit. It certainly doesn't take anything away... BUT, there's a thread for thy else where - so.... Pedalboards... :)

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='1288532' date='Jul 1 2011, 07:14 AM']So I am thinking that the Thumpinator and the Auralex Gramma pad would produce the tightest most focus bass sound that I have ever heard or could also be a wast of another £170!![/quote]

I had precisely the same thought last week - Gramma has arrived, picking up my Thumpinator soon!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1291805' date='Jul 4 2011, 09:10 AM']Nice little board! I'd gig with that. Stick an OC2 on it and it'd be about perfect.

I'd recommend George L's to give you a little more space to play with....[/quote]

Thanks! The syper synth acts as an octaver too, not a very good one apparently, but I've never really been into octaving much.

And I agree with the patch cables - the plugs are huge and really get in the way. I've looked at George L ones but I need to save up a bit first I think. They aren't £2 ebay ones!

Thumpinator - Recieved from Finbar this morning on loan...

Given it a solid 3 hours of drum & bass including A/B'ing my entire setup with and without it.

1st thing I noticed is how little my speakers move anyway, even with huge volume an lots of octave etc. They wibble a little with heavy fuzz, but did so also with the Thumpinator engaged. There appears to be no increase in available volume, no change to click and thump from the attack of the strings and no change in the tightness of the bottom end. Certainly nothing like the Gramma pad achieved.

One thing did change though... 1 pedal!? My EHX Bass MicroSynth. Mine is modded to control cutoff via expression. In the heel position you get a big smooth sub. This had always sounded massive, but with the Thumpinator at the end of the chain I had to lower the octave volume as it was moving the drum kit! What ever it does, it tightens up that pedal! Oddly it does not do anything of the sort for the Octave section of my MarkBass Super Synth, nor does it for my OC2.

Maybe I should put the overall lack of difference down to the fact that the EBS HD350 & Neo 212 cabs are very good at taming dangerous frequencies and handling an awful lot themselves. The exception being, I assume, that the modded BMS generates some very low frequencies that the Thumpinator was able to help the amp/cab out with.

Would I buy one - As it stands no. Take the BMS out of my chain and A/B'ing with & without makes no difference regardless of EQ settings, effects, volume etc. However, it does make the BMS crazy with the sub, which would give me more options for blending it as my 'constant' sub sound. That said it's still pretty monstrous without the Thumpinator. If someone parts with one and wants to sell it for a reasonable price I'd consider it for using at the end of my chain in the rare situations that I have to gig my set up through an amp or cab that may not be as 'capable' as my EBS stuff.

Sibob - it's coming your way!

Great review Shep - thanks for posting your thoughts.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1293884' date='Jul 5 2011, 08:23 PM']Thumpinator - Recieved from Finbar this morning on loan...

Given it a solid 3 hours of drum & bass including A/B'ing my entire setup with and without it.

1st thing I noticed is how little my speakers move anyway, even with huge volume an lots of octave etc. They wibble a little with heavy fuzz, but did so also with the Thumpinator engaged. There appears to be no increase in available volume, no change to click and thump from the attack of the strings and no change in the tightness of the bottom end. Certainly nothing like the Gramma pad achieved.

One thing did change though... 1 pedal!? My EHX Bass MicroSynth. Mine is modded to control cutoff via expression. In the heel position you get a big smooth sub. This had always sounded massive, but with the Thumpinator at the end of the chain I had to lower the octave volume as it was moving the drum kit! What ever it does, it tightens up that pedal! Oddly it does not do anything of the sort for the Octave section of my MarkBass Super Synth, nor does it for my OC2.

Maybe I should put the overall lack of difference down to the fact that the EBS HD350 & Neo 212 cabs are very good at taming dangerous frequencies and handling an awful lot themselves. The exception being, I assume, that the modded BMS generates some very low frequencies that the Thumpinator was able to help the amp/cab out with.

Would I buy one - As it stands no. Take the BMS out of my chain and A/B'ing with & without makes no difference regardless of EQ settings, effects, volume etc. However, it does make the BMS crazy with the sub, which would give me more options for blending it as my 'constant' sub sound. That said it's still pretty monstrous without the Thumpinator. If someone parts with one and wants to sell it for a reasonable price I'd consider it for using at the end of my chain in the rare situations that I have to gig my set up through an amp or cab that may not be as 'capable' as my EBS stuff.

Sibob - it's coming your way![/quote]

[quote name='escholl' post='1287553' date='Jun 30 2011, 12:28 PM']yes, that's pretty much correct. how much it helps though depends on if the amp already has a built in high-pass filter (many do) and the quality of that filter, so it may make a bigger difference in some situations than others. still, it wouldn't ever hurt, i shouldn't think.[/quote]
Maybe that's why I can't hear or see any difference with mine in or out .
Perhaps I need to look into it a bit more , but I've A/B'd it and I don't hear a lot .
I've swung the E string right down to a low G (2 tones below a low :) , and the volume of the note was the same . I thought it was suppose to cut off anything below 30hz , but it sounds exactly the same .
I play an Eden amp , so perhaps it's got a cut off in it already , I don't know .
I've tried the test as per the clip with the speaker movement , and it's all the same to my eyes .
Maybe it's subtle , and I'm not seeing or hearing it , or perhaps I'm just expecting too much from a pedal that is possibly mild in nature .

Anyone here A/B'd to see a difference .