Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1469314120' post='3097399']

It's easy fixed if you type with your eyes open.
[/quote]

It's not immediately obvious on the iPhone. Closest I get is "led by iCastle, Gust0o and Chirac". I usually have to rely on someone PMing me to find out they're a mod. :rolleyes:

Edited by TimR

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469322290' post='3097437']
It's because of arsey posts like this we call you Bully Apple behind your back :D
[/quote]

Thank you. I think in life it's good to make an impression whether good or bad, but never mediocre.

I just call you stingrayPete1977.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1469348200' post='3097484']
I just call you stingrayPete1977.
[/quote]
That's not what you called him in that PM to me the other day ;) :lol:

EDIT: just for clarity... There was no such PM. This is very much a lighthearted comment.

Just curious. If my band decided that we would only perform the B sides to popular record releases (pre-digital of course) and never played outside of that set... would we still be a covers band?

I think we would because we are only aware of the B sides as a consequence of the A side being commercially available to the public. Let's not include LP tracks.

Please regard this as a "what if?". It is not a feasible notion for earning.

[i][size=2]If this thread is annoying you please keep it to yourself and move on.[/size][/i]

Edited by SpondonBassed

At one time, I was in a band whose set list comprised about 2 albums' worth of original material alongside 2 interpretations of songs originally written and/or performed by other artists. We were an ORIGINALS band. IMO anyway.
I am currently in a band whose set list comprises 2 original songs alongside a list of songs originally written and/or performed by other artists. We are a COVERS band. Again, IMO anyway.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1469353354' post='3097543']
Just curious. If my band decided that we would only perform the B sides to popular record releases (pre-digital of course) and never played outside of that set... would we still be a covers band?
[/quote]

Yes.

I think we would because we are only aware of the B sides as a consequence of the A side being commercially available to the public. Let's not include LP tracks.
[/quote]

Yes, of course. It matters not if you or the audience have heard the songs before, you' due a covers band because they are not your songs. You are 'covering them. Same goes for LP tracks - if they are not your songs.

Please regard this as a "what if?". It is not a feasible notion for earning.

[i][size=2]If this thread is annoying you please keep it to yourself and move on.[/size][/i]
[/quote]

Technically yes. But you'd be wise to mention that they're obscure covers because your audience is going to be very disappointed when they find out they've never heard the songs before.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1469199123' post='3096591']
I really don't care if it's a cover or a cover band or if it's original (which I very much doubt) or a so-called originals band.

I only want to know do I like it.
[/quote]

Fair point, and in the final analysis liking the music played is the main thing. But if a punter is going to spend good money on a band they've not seen or heard before it's useful for them to know if the band will be playing originals or covers (or maybe both). Neither is intrinsically better than the other, it just helps inform the punter. They might like the 'safe' option of covers, knowing that they'll likely recognise most of the songs, or they might be up for some new music - it doesn't really matter what they choose but it sometimes helps if they can made an informed choice. Also, such information is pretty important for anyone planning to book a function band . . . to the point that they may even want to specify what is going to be played, to some degree.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469356705' post='3097584']
Technically yes. But you'd be wise to mention that they're obscure covers because your audience is going to be very disappointed when they find out they've never heard the songs before.
[/quote]

That's a very good point.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469357537' post='3097601']
Are there ANY bands doing a full set of covers taken from obscure albums passing them off as their own or at least not mentioning it in any way?
[/quote]

It would be quite feasible to select an excellent setlist of, for example, obscure and for most people unknown northern soul tunes and have an audience drinking and dancing and happy. No need to tell the audience 'covers' or 'original' or anything.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1469357962' post='3097604']
It would be quite feasible to select an excellent setlist of, for example, obscure and for most people unknown northern soul tunes and have an audience drinking and dancing and happy. No need to tell the audience 'covers' or 'original' or anything.
[/quote]

Are there PRS issues with that?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469357537' post='3097601']
Are there ANY bands doing a full set of covers taken from obscure albums passing them off as their own or at least not mentioning it in any way?
[/quote]

There have been several examples of people having hits from obscure covers that they've passed off as their own. I can't remember specifics but Plan B's - Ill Manors was a complete rip off of a German artists song but with the words changed.

Then there are songs like Black Hole Sun which were originally significantly obscure enough for people to think the latest version is an original.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469356985' post='3097589']
Fair point, and in the final analysis liking the music played is the main thing. But if a punter is going to spend good money on a band they've not seen or heard before it's useful for them to know if the band will be playing originals or covers (or maybe both). Neither is intrinsically better than the other, it just helps inform the punter. They might like the 'safe' option of covers, knowing that they'll likely recognise most of the songs, or they might be up for some new music - it doesn't really matter what they choose but it sometimes helps if they can made an informed choice. Also, such information is pretty important for anyone planning to book a function band . . . to the point that they may even want to specify what is going to be played, to some degree.
[/quote]
I take your points but it remains the case that no good is no good whether it's so-called original or so-called cover.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1469358251' post='3097609']
Are there PRS issues with that?
[/quote]

If you are completing a PRS form for the promoter then you ought to tell the truth - but the PRS form is not the audience.

The PRS form isn't interested in whether it's a so-called cover or so-called original - they just want to know the composers/authors/arrangers.

Edited by EssentialTension