Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469219848' post='3096839']

Nice post!

I'm slowly learning the local scene for bands in the UK is quite different then how it is here in the US.

There's even different cultures of bands within the US. The " biker bar" scene, even the "bar band" is much more prevalent in the Midwest (*Cheap Trick, REO Speed Wagon) then on the east coast.

Blue

*These bands were a big part of the early 70s "bar band" scene in the Midwest prior
to becoming famous.
[/quote]

Each State in the US is practically a different country anyway. When I was working in Motown the bar bands were amazing and all had that classic Motown sound. Down in Florida there's huge Latin influences.

Generalising is very hard.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1469217376' post='3096807']
Sorry Blue but that's complete tosh.

There was an attempt to provide a workable definition of 'covers' which was a dreadful oversimplification. The attempted definition existed independently of the size or type of venue. My point stands, and I'll make my own decision as to what is off topic.

:)

[size=4]Amused to see you try to rescue dear Carole by describing her as a singer/songwriter and therefore not a band.[/size]

[size=4]So when The Beatles (remember them?) recorded Yesterday, were they a band or a singer/songwriter?[/size]

[size=4]Let me know when you've finished trying to nail jelly to the ceiling. :lol:[/size]
[/quote]
Good one Jack.
This thread is not just trying to nail jelly to the ceiling it's going in more circles than the "Playing for Nowt" thread-only 22 more pages of postings and we'll equal that one.Maybe we should talk about things that have actual answers,although I guess that ruins it for some folks.Let's see-the sound of one hand clapping,the falling tree in the forest(no noise if no one hears it?),the number of angels that can dance on a pinhead...the possibilities are endless.Maybe it's just my practical Taurus side coming through.I'm done,at least for now.

Edited by Staggering on

Can I suggest a covers band is ...

A group of 2 or people who in a live or semi live situation , reproduce music previously released by other artists, regardless of level of professionalism or talent.

If you play mainly original music and slip in odd cover , you are not a covers band , but a band simply doing a cover in that moment

I wonder if defining a band in this way is actually possible. A cover is a cover is a cover, so that's pretty well defined...

But if a band plays one original tune are they still strictly a cover band. It seems it's only really an interesting point for discussion. It doesn't really have any relevance in real life.

It's a strange question, particularly from Blue, who plays in a covers band who also play some of their own material.

What if the songwriter of the band leaves but the band continue to play the tunes he wrote?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469199331' post='3096597']
I actually posed this question to set up and gather data for a future thread.
[/quote]

[size=3][b]Criminal genius[/b]: Ernst Stavro Bluefeld[/size]
[color=#f0fff0][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469276457' post='3097118']
But if a band plays one original tune are they still strictly a cover band.
[/quote]

Yes they are a covers band playing an original in that moment , but it's an original in a covers set

If you play more than 48% of covers or originals then you can define yourself as either

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1469302867' post='3097314']

Yes they are a covers band playing an original in that moment , but it's an original in a covers set

If you play more than 48% of covers or originals then you can define yourself as either
[/quote]

Or neither?

Sounds a bit prescriptive. What about 33% if you did 3 sets with one being originals?

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1469294148' post='3097242']

is it going to be about who is more relevant, covers or originals? then leading on to whether each should charge.... if so kill me now
[/quote]

The follow up thread hopefully will give a more realistic insight to cover and originals bands instead of the stereotypes we see all to often.

Rockford, it's your choice to read my threads or not. It's not required.

Blue

Edited by blue

I don't understand how this thread has reached 5 pages, nor do I have any desire to read and find out!

A cover band is one that interprets another's music and does not claim it as their own. The end.

:mellow:

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469310760' post='3097368']
I don't understand how this thread has reached 5 pages, nor do I have any desire to read and find out!

A cover band is one that interprets another's music and does not claim it as their own. The end.

:mellow:
[/quote]

Thank you.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469276457' post='3097118']
I wonder if defining a band in this way is actually possible. A cover is a cover is a cover, so that's pretty well defined...

But if a band plays one original tune are they still strictly a cover band. It seems it's only really an interesting point for discussion. It doesn't really have any relevance in real life.

It's a strange question, particularly from Blue, who plays in a covers band who also play some of their own material.

What if the songwriter of the band leaves but the band continue to play the tunes he wrote?
[/quote]

We have released 2 CDs of original material, however we probably never play more than 4 originals in a typical 4 hour US bar gig.

We're a cover band. We would never be welcome in any of the local original bands clubs.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1469311543' post='3097376']

Ooh, follow up thread? What's the release date for that?
[/quote]

Hi Hiram,

The release date for the follow up will be on the 12th.

Cheers

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469311175' post='3097371']

We have released 2 CDs of original material, however we probably never play more than 4 originals in a typical 4 hour US bar gig.

We're a cover band. We would never be welcome in any of the local original bands clubs.

Blue
[/quote]

Why is that?

Most original bands in the UK would play a shared stage arrangement. Several bands in a night maybe 45mins top of material.

The last originals band I saw, a couple of weeks ago, also tour the UK and depending on venue either play their own material or covers. Exclusively.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469312267' post='3097382']
Can I request that there please not be a follow up thread, and relevant conversation be contained to this thread?
[/quote]

Why?

Maybe we should restrict all Blue's posts to one thread? Or perhaps he should have his own sub forum.

I don't get you guys. Just I gnore the threads you're not interested in.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469312656' post='3097383']
Why?

Maybe we should restrict all Blue's posts to one thread? Or perhaps he should have his own sub forum.

I don't get you guys. Just I gnore the threads you're not interested in.
[/quote]

Why? To prevent unnecessary clutter in the Forum. The same member wishes to post two threads that could very easily and sensibly be condensed into one.

Please pm me directly if you have any other comments regarding moderator guidance :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1469312073' post='3097380']

Why is that?

Most original bands in the UK would play a shared stage arrangement. Several bands in a night maybe 45mins top of material.

The last originals band I saw, a couple of weeks ago, also tour the UK and depending on venue either play their own material or covers. Exclusively.
[/quote]

Because the 4 originals clubs in Milwaukee know who we are and what we are, a cover band.

The band you reference sounds like they're more than a local originals band.

Plus we don't play for free. Most local originals bands do.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469312762' post='3097387']

Why? To prevent unnecessary clutter in the Forum. The same member wishes to post two threads that could very easily and sensibly be condensed into one.

Please pm me directly if you have any other comments regarding moderator guidance :)
[/quote]

Ah. Sorry. Didn't realise you were a moderator.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1469313333' post='3097394']

Because the 4 originals clubs in Milwaukee know who we are and what we are, a cover band.

The band you reference sounds like their more than a local originals band.

Plus we don't play for free. Most local originals bands do.

Blue
[/quote]

That's a bit different to not being welcome. That's more like not wanting to play them.

Local originals band? I can't see any originals band that limits themselves to local gigs playing more than three or four times a year.

But then, I suppose, in the UK local is about 30-40miles.

Edited by TimR

I actually think I'm a lot closer to understanding the definition of cover and originals bands with all the little nuances.

I think anything is more intelligent and focused when we can get away from stereotypes.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1469314311' post='3097400']

Evidence, if any were needed, that the definition sought by the OP is already known to him. It's the man in mirror!
[/quote]

Not really Hiram. Nothing is ever perfectly clear to me, especially when trying to bridge the gap in definition in the UK as opposed to the US.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1469312762' post='3097387']

[/quote]

PM'd