Why become a member? ×

Let's Define "Cover Band"

blue

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1469513295' post='3098825']
Yup. Troo dat. If you ignore all those pesky blues musicians who didn't just repeat what Robert Johnson played.

Oh, you meant pop music only? In that case, troo dat. If you ignore the exceptions. Like 'Move It' by The Shadows, written by Ian Samwell, of The Shadows.
[/quote]

Think Billy Fury wrote most of his own stuff too but it's true they were more the exceptions than the norm. It was mostly pop stars having songs picked for them by management and producers that thought they suited the act. Often worked very successfully but you can see the potential frustration for those acts that were convinced they could write as well as perform. For some it worked in reverse such as already mentioned Carole King, Neil Sedaka etc who started out primarily as writers for other people before getting out there and performing their own material themselves.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1469524401' post='3098938']
Think Billy Fury wrote most of his own stuff too but it's true they were more the exceptions than the norm. It was mostly pop stars having songs picked for them by management and producers that thought they suited the act. Often worked very successfully but you can see the potential frustration for those acts that were convinced they could write as well as perform. For some it worked in reverse such as already mentioned Carole King, Neil Sedaka etc who started out primarily as writers for other people before getting out there and performing their own material themselves.
[/quote]

BIlly Fury wrote the whole of his first album [i]The Sound of Fury[/i]. But, as you say, the exception.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469527692' post='3098970']
How about this for a song that pretty much everyone has heard through millions of cover versions (ok, slight exaggeration) yet relatively few know the original jazz trio version by the writer and performer. Well here he is . . .

[/quote]

That's not the only obscure original that's been covered several times.

In the 80s lots of the electronica 'bands' were releasing numbers from the early 20/30s.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469528391' post='3098978']
I'm sure it's not, but how many 80s electronica covers have become rock n roll standards?
[/quote]

Well rock n roll predates the 80s by about 30 years.

My point is these things are cyclical and pretty much repeat every 30 years or so. In the 80s there were a lot of 'originals' bands covering 50s hits and now there are quite a few bands covering 80s tunes. The kids think it's all new. ;)

Agreed, popular covers of obscure originals are not rare, but I don't think those examples are in the same league as 'Route 66', in terms of widespread familiarity or the number of covers . . . things that combine to create a 'standard' in the first place.

Of that NME list, I'd say that only 'Hound Dog' could rival 'Route 66’ as a well known 'standard'.

But there's plenty of scope for other opinions - as this 9 page thread on an apparently simple concept proves :lol:

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469529754' post='3098993']
Of that NME list, I'd say that only 'Hound Dog' could rival 'Route 66’ as a well known 'standard'.

[/quote]

If you don't rate 'Hey Joe' or 'I Fought The Law' as a standard, you need to get to more jams! :D

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1469550172' post='3099302']
I Fought The Law - another song that was more famously covered by The Clash and Green Day than the original by Bobby Fuller. :)

I can't believe this thread has carried on to 9 pages.
[/quote]

It would have probably only been 8 so far but someone started posting about biscuits or something a few days ago.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469389076' post='3097950'] But there will be a version originally recorded by the writer somewhere we just haven't heard it, I doubt Bowie described the song over the phone to them? [/quote]

He let Mott do it before he'd released any recorded versions of it himself.

Anyway, why is a cover song called a 'cover'? When one covers* something one is physically placing something over something else e.g:

'Cover that jam sandwich (up) or the wasps'll be at it' or 'The sofa's looking a bit shonky. Let's get some loose covers.'

We should call cover bands something else. Copy combos?

[size=2]* In the non-procreative sense[/size]

[url="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cover"]http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cover[/url]

Cover is the right word.

Tribute bands copy, and some very successfully. I watched the UK finals for best tribute act a couple of years ago at the Garrick in Lichfield. Very good pro' acts, especially the Eagles tribute.

I suppose we all start out copying but then, as we improve, we change this and that trying to improve on or be different to the original. When electric guitars became popular as a lead instrument, many of the old dance-band numbers were covered by The Shadows and The Ventures and good old Bert Weedon. It was a new and exciting sound.

If you listen to a few covers of 'Perfidia' on Youtube there is an amazing variation. And that's a good thing because there are many of us who, try as we may, find it impossible to write our own original material. We can only envy and cover other's material. In fact everytime I noodle and try and compose a riff or tune I end up playing something I already know. It's a complete mental blockage. Hat's off to those who can compose new material.

So in compensation I play/cover many wonderful tunes and songs and where I can put a little something of me into it. And I love it.

I sure I'm right to say that the covers of black artistes material by Dusty Springfield, The Beatles, Stones etc were intrumental in the POP explosion of the 60's. And that was a good thing bringing black and white artistes and audiences together.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1469578796' post='3099561']
Anyway, why is a cover song called a 'cover'? When one covers* something one is physically placing something over something else e.g:

'Cover that jam sandwich (up) or the wasps'll be at it' or 'The sofa's looking a bit shonky. Let's get some loose covers.'

We should call cover bands something else. Copy combos?

[size=2]* In the non-procreative sense[/size]
[/quote]

Or it's about taking responsibility to do something , like I'll cover you , or number of seats to feed in catering.

This is closer to the the meaning of covering a song, but still not the same

Copy band would be OK , but then we would have a thread about "define copy" and if exact copies where better than reinventing

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1469578796' post='3099561']
[/quote]
Other sandwiches are available.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1469571610' post='3099542']

He let Mott do it before he'd released any recorded versions of it himself.
[/quote]

Where are you drawing the line between making a demo in the studio and a global number one hit? He must have made some form of recording of it that Mott used as a reference?

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1469596222' post='3099570']

Or it's about taking responsibility to do something , like I'll cover you , or number of seats to feed in catering.

This is closer to the the meaning of covering a song, but still not the same

Copy band would be OK , but then we would have a thread about "define copy" and if exact copies where better than reinventing
[/quote]

Not necessarily taking responsibility for but certainly doing a job for someone while they're unable to do it.

Originally, before discos, you'd have bands playing at dances. People wanted to dance to the music they were hearing on the radio so I guess bands were covering the song in place of the original artist.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1469602377' post='3099585']
Where are you drawing the line between making a demo in the studio and a global number one hit? He must have made some form of recording of it that Mott used as a reference?
[/quote]

A definition someone used was "recorded and released". That's the definition I was referring to. Presumably you don't regard a demo on a wobbly cassette recorder [1] as "released".

[1] Not that I think that's what David Bowie would have done for his preliminary recording of "All the young dudes".