Why become a member? ×

Fender Jaguar Bass (American Standard). Hubba bubba.

NancyJohnson

I'd say from the outset that while I have basses made by a handful of manufacturers, I would qualify myself as [i]not [/i]being a fan of Fender basses; I had a Precision for way too long, a brief dalliance with a Geddy Lee jazz and still own a short scale Badtz Maru Bronco/Mustang thing, but in general, I'm not a fan.

That said, last night I clapped eyes on an American Jaguar bass; I didn't actually touch the thing and it was just on a stand, but I'm kind of smitten. Dang it was lovely. I'm really not on the market for another bass and certainly not one with a £1.3K price tag, but oh, man, hubba bubba.

I've had one since last summer. Mine's the same colour as the one you posted. I've been gigging it constantly since I got it.

They really are a very flexible bass although I rarely use the active circuit. In fact, I mainly use the P pickup in passive as I love the sound of a Precision. Using the Jazz pickup gives you that burpy, funky sound. Using both pickups mellows the sound, but both pickups in series would knock walls down. The preamp can be very extreme if you use the maximum settings but it's there if you want or need it. Used sparingly, it's a sweet sounding preamp. I leave mine on a setting that thickens up the low end and adds a bit of sparkle on top so I can just switch it in if needed.

Looks wise, I think it's stunning. It's light weight, balances well on the strap and I've been able to achieve the best set-up of all my basses on the Jaguar.

I love mine and definately recommend them as an alternative to a Precision and Jazz although I still have Precision and Jazz because I haven't yet got to the point where I can part with them. I probably will keep them all. You know how these things go. <_<

EDIT. The Jazz neck is a bonus for me too. I prefer them to a Precision neck although I do play both.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

I do wish they'd do these in the sonic blue/surf green shades, everything is Olympic white/sunburst/black...think they do this in CAR too.

I know it's down to their own research and knowledge, but the jag shape really suits those shades.

A 5er of this would be a winner, the original Japan model was a really versatile bass.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1467887823' post='3086990']
I do wish they'd do these in the sonic blue/surf green shades,
[/quote]

Agreed. Those colours would be lovely and I reckon Fender would sell more US Jaguars if they were available.

Frank.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1467887757' post='3086988']
I do think I would get option paralysis with all the switches though!
[/quote]

I had a red CIJ version a few years ago, and that's the exact reason I sold it... too many options. I could get a bunch of good sounds out of it, but then could never remember how I got there!

Great looking basses though.

Edited by tredders

I was just thinking about the price of these USA Standard Jaguars as mentioned by the OP. They can be had for the same price as a new USA Standard Jazz or Precision - or thereabouts.

But the Jaguar has the preamp, American Vintage '62 Split Single-Coil Precision pickup, a Single-Coil Jazz Bass with Adjustable Hex Screw Pole Pieces and Ceramic Bar Magnets, block pearloid markers, the A string retainer, a real bone nut and all the usual USA Standard features you get on the USA Standard Precision and Jazz.

So to me, the price is quite competitive for what you get. Whether you think any Fender is worth the cost is another matter but there's no denying that the price of the Jaguar is no more excessive than the equivalent P or J - in fact, I think it's a bit of a bargain.

Am I the only basschatter who owns one? Surely not. :blink:

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

I got one not long after they came out. Definitely a lot of bass for the money by Fender standards and the P pickup sounds huge. Both pickups in series kicks like a mule and I don't think any other stock Fender bass has that sound. Mine is black with the off white pickguard which I think is a bit boring - I asked Fender if they sold tort guards (like the white and sunburst models have) and got a classic wally response saying no, sorry but we'll sell you a guitar one! Still tempted to get a nice celluloid tort pickguard made, or maybe black or gold.

There's a new (at least I've only just noticed it) Squier version on the Fender website with a single humbucker at the bridge and active electronics which looks interesting.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Westenra' timestamp='1467928113' post='3087460']
^ the squier HB jaguar didn't get that favourable reviews if I recall correctly.
[/quote]

That's a shame.

I really like the look of them, although, as others have said, they're crying out for a seafoam green or sonic blue model.

Edited by Cato

• 3 months later...

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1476637488' post='3155851']
They are now £999 almost everywhere. :)
[/quote]

That's a good deal. I'm in Chicago with work and they had one in Guitar Center for $1500, which I've just converted to be £1235!

[b]Fender American Standard Jaguar Bass £999 at GuitarGuitar[/b]

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14061114213832

[b]Fender Troy Sanders Jaguar Bass (Silverburst) £891.00 at GAK[/b]

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-troy-sanders-jaguar-bass-silverburst/87477?gclid=CPr31baZ4M8CFcaVGwodeP8NNA

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing that puts me off these basses is the silly layout of the controls. They took the guitar design and just shoehorned things like an eq , passive -active switch etc in places where it doesn't seem to be intuitive. There do look nice though.

[quote name='Quilly' timestamp='1477825674' post='3164613']
The only thing that puts me off these basses is the silly layout of the controls. They took the guitar design and just shoehorned things like an eq , passive -active switch etc in places where it doesn't seem to be intuitive. There do look nice though.
[/quote]

You get used to the controls pretty quickly though. The biggest problem is that it's possible to switch the pickups OFF in a certain position and if you happen to do this accidently on a gig, it can be a bit embarrassing. :huh:

Frank.