Why become a member? ×

disloyalty?

Dandelion

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1465800200' post='3070977']
Stay with that band for social reasons and join another one too for musical reasons.

First date in the diary gets your attention.
[/quote]

Exactly. If you leave your current band and the new lot turn out to have bum berets then you may have lost some buddies and you're still in a band you don't like.

There's nothing like the look of a few irons glowing gently in the fire :)

Edited by ahpook

If you're in it for the social side of things stick with what you know. If, as you say its "hacking you off", you need to move on. Try and exit in a nice way (they may need a dep in future) and in the words of Adam and the Ants "do yourself a favour".

For your musical sanity, you need to be playing with a group that gives you a sense of satisfaction/achievement, otherwise it becomes and chore and will lead to resentment. When I started (on a different instrument) about 5 years ago, I joined a community band. It was good training and experinece, but after 4 years, I decided it was time to move on.

You can say you want to move on and explore new avenues and remain sociable with the old team.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1465838506' post='3071458']

Erm, I'm no mathematician....
[/quote]

The band has been together for 11 years. I've been with them for the past 6 years.

Blue

Edited by blue

As others suggest, you could stick with current band for the social/fun side and do something more satisfying too. Have you actually tried saying to the current band "love you dearly, chaps, but cannot carry on like this". Might wake them up to the need to improve. Or are they a lost cause?

Edited by Dan Dare

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465902667' post='3071943']
I think the euphemism is 'passed on through natural causes'. :)

Or as I like to say, 'gone tits-up'.
[/quote]

Euphemisms are all very well, but sometimes a direct kick up the rear is the best ploy, or so I'm told.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1465900577' post='3071920']

Ah, it was the affirmative form in the first instance that confused me.

I presume the previous bass player(s) didn't "shape up" then?
[/quote]

I believe the band was headed in a different direction at the time and he was no longer a match for the band. Somehow I was, after 3 auditions I was offered the job.

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1465900577' post='3071920']

Ah, it was the affirmative form in the first instance that confused me.

I presume the previous bass player(s) didn't "shape up" then?
[/quote]

I think in most cases when guys are relieved from duty it's mutual.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Dandelion' timestamp='1465775849' post='3070938']
But then should I stay with them. I really am in too minds. Can't sleep.
[/quote]

I think that has to be regarded as an occupational hazard if music is your occupation (paid or unpaid).

Me? I'd make every effort to honour the band's commitments but make no further ones. It's honest, up-front and if it is taken badly, your mates are not quite up to scratch in terms of mutual respect.

Good luck either way but if you have the time maybe an overlapping commitment may work for all concerned, just until you decide where you want to lay your hat, be it an ass-hat or flat-cap or any other choice in headgear.