Why become a member? ×

My scammed '76 Jazz Bass

Boanerges

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Morning all![/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In April I posted my 1976 candy apple red, 3-bolt, rosewood neck Jazz Bass, serial 7632986 on Bass Players Market UK as I had been on the sick for 2 years following a stroke and skint as a result. I was approached by one Joshwa Barlow of Newcastle-under-Lyme who claimed to be very interested in the bass, as he needed it for an "important gig the next day". The problem was (he claimed) "his girlfriend had the card reader and wouldn't be in until after 7". So being a trusting soul (after many years in the antique trade where trust is a job requirement!) , I sent the bass - and guess what - hee haw money has ever been received. [/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]So if you see this bass about, drop me/us a line at [email protected] or check it out on the Facebook page (Fender Jazz Bass #7632986) and drop us a message. [/font][/color]

[color=#1D2129][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Many thanks![/font][/color]

Really crappy thing to happen to anyone!
Can i ask though, do you have an address for him?
The one i'm guessing you sent the bass to?
Surely that's enough to either go and look for it or to give to the police?
Hope something gets sorted for you

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464951770' post='3064057']
Really crappy thing to happen to anyone!
Can i ask though, do you have an address for him?
The one i'm guessing you sent the bass to?
Surely that's enough to either go and look for it or to give to the police?
Hope something gets sorted for you
[/quote]

That would be a good start, even it isn't their house (which I suspect it probably isn't) they must at least know the occupants and vice versa.

It's probably ill-advised to go after it yourself but knowing how under-resourced the Police are nowadays I doubt they'd be of much use, unfortunately :(

Hope it somehow finds it's way back into your hands though!

Hi Boanerges,

I'm really sorry to hear of your health problems in the first instance.
But I'm appalled by the behaviour of the guy who has ripped you off
Hope you can get your bass back, and I hope you're doing well with your health issues

PS. Do you have an address for this bloke? I'm sure the Police could trace him.....
Take care, I hope your bass is returned, and I hope this rip-off merchant is caught

Yowzer. Good luck with this one matey. I've been on the tail end of a thief (from a deal on this very forum) so I feel your pain.

Not sure if police could get involved but if they can it's definately worth reporting!

Edited by lefrash

The police seem to deal with less and less criminal activity lately but if you found out where the thief lived, got your property back and gave him a well deserved beating, they would be on your case in a flash. It's a never ending circle of crime, all because the coppers no longer do the job they should be doing. It won't end well.
Good luck and hopefully I'm wrong in this instance and you get your bass back.

I've seen this on facebook in multiple groups/pages. Personally I'd be careful with the accusations. It's one thing to name and shame someone, but another to set up facebook groups/pages to hound the accused. I think this could turn round and bite you in the backside if you're not careful.

Not condoning whats happened here, just be pragmatic and chalk it up to experience....

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1464974194' post='3064334']
...chalk it up to experience....
[/quote]

Really? :huh:

If we were talking a £30 effects pedal then it wouldn't be economical to do much about it and I'd agree but I'm guessing this'll be £1500+ worth of bass! I'd be in the car and heading down to Stoke for the weekend after a bit of research. I'm not suggesting/condoning thumping someone but I'd be taking steps to meet face to face with this guy and identify what the problem is with him paying... or giving back my belongings.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1464974729' post='3064348']
If it were a thirty pound effect pedal - id say yes, post on trust. But a £1500 bass - who in their right mind would post this off to an absolute stranger off facebook without being paid in cleared funds first.
[/quote]

Absolutely! Sad to say that in this day and age you can't be that trusting. If this was being sold on here to someone who had a fantastic rep and had impeccable history (going back years) then maybe I'd trust them.

[quote name='sammybee' timestamp='1464974194' post='3064334']
I've seen this on facebook in multiple groups/pages. Personally I'd be careful with the accusations. It's one thing to name and shame someone, but another to set up facebook groups/pages to hound the accused. I think this could turn round and bite you in the backside if you're not careful.

Not condoning whats happened here, just be pragmatic and chalk it up to experience....
[/quote]

What a strange post, is it just me or does anyone else think that no matter if the op was too trusting or not, you don't just put a £1500 bass loss 'down to experience'. Can't quite get my head round you appearing to warn the op off? Very strange.

Just why, why would you post the bass? Especially of this value.
I had a deal from here, I wanted a bass quickly, i was totally without and only had half the cash for a relatively inexpensive bass advertised here, so I gave the other bc member 50% or so of the balance and I received the bass before I fully paid. A week later I paid the rest, in fact I think I was able to pay a few days earlier. So I am all up for trust. However I was known on the forum and had feedback as well as giving half the money up front, I was traceable and of course the other me,her was a good guy too.

I'm not being harsh and it's not your fault that the other guy is a scumbag, but it was your fault this person got the easy opportunity. As said I'm all up for human kindness etc so I'm glad you have that in you. In fact I commend you big time.
However this wasn't you being a trusting soul or being kind even, it was nievity in this case. He could of phoned or went to the bank it was still open as you had time to post it.

I really hope this gets resolved for you and I hope it does not stop you being a good bloke. In future be wise I'm sure you have been on many occasions so I'm bemused by this slip up shall we say.

I am not condoning action from you. If that happened to some, they would definitely drive to his and try calmly sort it out.

If it doesn't get sorted then don't be down for too long let it go into the either.

[quote name='Luulox' timestamp='1464975202' post='3064356']
What a strange post, is it just me or does anyone else think that no matter if the op was too trusting or not, you don't just put a £1500 bass loss 'down to experience'. Can't quite get my head round you appearing to warn the op off? Very strange.
[/quote]

It's not strange. As someone who has had their fair share of misfortunes in the past including being royally screwed over by a member here, it never pays to dwell on things. Let go, move on, learn from the experience. I'm guessing the OP has come here as a last resort, having already tried to contact the accused, and contacted the police (who were probably very disinterested). I'm not a gambling man, but I'd have a few quid on the bass and the cash has long vanished.

Before you ask or put 2+2 together, I'm not affiliated with the accused or known to him.