Why become a member? ×

Playing in an original band has opened my eyes

bassbiscuits

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1464460493' post='3059656']

Some of the most enjoyable times I spend with my bass are doing just this - starting off with the bare bones of the tune that the band's working on and trying to come up with just the right part for it.
[/quote]

That's exactly it - I'm just finding it a really creative, fulfilling thing to do.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464455997' post='3059627']

Life is to short, and I never wanted to spend it working for "the man".

[/quote]

That's one approach. Another is to choose which 'man' to work for so you can make enough to retire early and then do whatever you like, when you like. If you're dependent on someone giving you money, then you're still 'working for the man'.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1464471536' post='3059739']

That's one approach. Another is to choose which 'man' to work for so you can make enough to retire early and then do whatever you like, when you like. If you're dependent on someone giving you money, then you're still 'working for the man'.
[/quote]

Retired when I was 60 years old.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464474296' post='3059764']
Retired when I was 60 years old.
[/quote]

No, you just swapped one form of wage slavery for another which you find more palatable. Glad it's working out for you though.

I do find it a little disturbing that most of you guys seem to regard a covers gig as requiring a slavish, note perfect, feel-perfect version of The Original Record.

Really hope I am reading this one wrong.
In any case, when I play covers, I try to sort of pay hommage to the original, but never follow anything note for note.
In 99 cases out of 100, the guy who did the original recording has never played it twice the same.
For me, that is where the fun is on any gig.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1464526875' post='3060070']
No, you just swapped one form of wage slavery for another which you find more palatable. Glad it's working out for you though.
[/quote]

Not necessarily.
I retired after spending most of my life gigging in 2006 - but somehow found myself playing out again almost immediately. I just dont drive very far these days, is all. :lol: Or as often!

Just found this on YouTube - Done with a phone camera by a pal.
Great laugh - combined age at the time of over 260. Sadly Bernie (guitarist in black shirt) didn`t make it past February of this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KqeZ5UabuE
And no, we never rehearsed!

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1464300928' post='3058371']
I suppose the hard part would be finding a band that didn't play music I hate.
[/quote]

No, the hard part is finding a band with people you don't hate - the rest of it is tolerable!

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1464534890' post='3060148']
I do find it a little disturbing that most of you guys seem to regard a covers gig as requiring a slavish, note perfect, feel-perfect version of The Original Record.

In any case, when I play covers, I try to sort of pay hommage to the original, but never follow anything note for note.
In 99 cases out of 100, the guy who did the original recording has never played it twice the same.
[/quote]

Not so much disturbing as frustrating.

I've only ever had one person tell me I was playing a bass line wrong. Another bass player.

I depped with an originals band. I learned the bass lines the original bass player wrote. I altered most of them slightly in some way as I didn't like some of the note choices and they weren't what I would have played.

After the gig I got lots of comments about 'really nailing' it.

It's funny. I've heard loads of players who've copied originals note for note but have missed the feel and I've heard loads of players who captured the feel but the line has been different. I know what I preferred. It's extremely rare that I've heard anyone play the original notes with the original feel.

[/quote]

Not really. Some tracks really are worth getting close to the original record, some you can do a variation, and others well, hard to say it is the real song really. Most of my new band is between the second and the third!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464536326' post='3060168']
It's extremely rare that I've heard anyone play the original notes with the original feel.
[/quote]

Zackly. Most of them sound like they are playing-by-numbers.

And although there are some iconic bass lines out there that can make or break the song, even those dont need to be copied verbatim.
IMO, of course.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1464541209' post='3060205']
Zackly. Most of them sound like they are playing-by-numbers.

And although there are some iconic bass lines out there that can make or break the song, even those dont need to be copied verbatim.
IMO, of course. Most people seem to find it hard enough just to capture the feel....
[/quote]

I joined an originals band a few months ago. Essentially all their previous material is like learning covers, however, half the set is now songs that have been written, with my input, since I've joined.

The big difference for me is that audiences have no other reference point for the songs we play. No one is 'humming' the original in their head, no one is comparing what we do to the original. I find this and being able to play exactly what and how I feel I want to totally liberating.

We've played a wedding and birthday party recently, gigs at which the vast majority of the people attending have never heard us before. We've had nothing but positive responses...and we're an Indie Punk band, just to give some reference. It somewhat shot a hole in the notion of playing familiar crowd pleasers.

I'm hoping this band lasts for quite some time, I really don't want to play covers again for quite some time. I'm thoroughly enjoying playing now

[/quote]
for me not at all. i respect people who play in covers bands... that is their choice and works for them, but for me i would rather try something new (good or bad) than pay homage to something that has been done.
there will always be a place for covers bands, but a lot of us just feel we need to be at the birth of a song, rather than revamp it in a later life is all.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1464564449' post='3060405']
for me not at all. i respect people who play in covers bands... that is their choice and works for them, but for me i would rather try something new (good or bad) than pay homage to something that has been done.
there will always be a place for covers bands, but a lot of us just feel we need to be at the birth of a song, rather than revamp it in a later life is all.
[/quote]

Interesting, I guess were so diverse Robin Trower to Nancy Sinatra plus a few originals I never feel like I'm playing covers or paying homage to anyone. Merely playing cool songs and having fun.

I respect originals bands it's their choice and works for them, but for me I would rather play proven material and get people on the dance floor than try something new (good or bad)

Blue

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1464526875' post='3060070']
[/quote]

It really is, my blood pressure is down and I feel relaxed for the first time in years. My time is my own, I come and go as I please and report to no one..

i love it when anyone asks me what I do;

[i]"I play bass guitar and sing backing vocals in a rock & roll band" [/i] :)

Blue

[quote] I think it depends whether you are just a player or if you write as well. If you don't write then there's probably little difference from a playing PoV. [/quote]

yep that it a nutshell.

Iv been harping on for years....

The best advice i can give and the best you will EVER get.... is this

"[u]Learn to write songs no matter how basic,[/u]"
for this one big reason....

everyone eventually finds their groove, and it will be a combination of two things..
your ability and your influences.
Everyones are different, ..thats what makes music so intresting.
your very own combination could be the next big thing.
you will never know unless you try it, or .... all that DNA reciepe ONLY YOU have will be lost... forever.

Inspired ? ?
get ya pen out and stop Pi@@in about. ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464695378' post='3061468']
Yeah but all my songs just sound like I've nicked a load of stuff from other people and fitted it together.

A bit like a sonic collage.
[/quote]

Yep mine too... but, and here is the big.. but......
to everyone else who listens they dont know who that combination of people are :scratch_one-s_head:
they might pick out a bit in one of your songs, as we all do when something reminds us of something,
Just keep going, you will find you. :)

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1464695378' post='3061468']
Yeah but all my songs just sound like I've nicked a load of stuff from other people and fitted it together.

A bit like a sonic collage.
[/quote]

And as I keep saying, song writing is a skill that has to be learnt just like playing a musical instrument. I bet it took a while before you were happy with your standard of bass playing and you had to do a fair bit of practicing to get there. Songwriting is no different - the more songs you write the better you become.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1464695823' post='3061479']

And as I keep saying, song writing is a skill that has to be learnt just like playing a musical instrument. I bet it took a while before you were happy with your standard of bass playing and you had to do a fair bit of practicing to get there. Songwriting is no different - the more songs you write the better you become.
[/quote]

I totally agree. You need to be in the right environment though. At the moment I'm in a covers band and I think they'd be up for playing a couple more originals. We play two already, people just assume they're less well known rock tunes. :D

But really I'm too busy with other stuff.

In one of my bands, sticking to arrangements can be a bit tricky. There's one member who struggles a bit, and we learned a long time ago just to follow him. The problem is that now some of the fans seem to know the (CD) arrangements better than him! I guess sometimes it'd be better to play them the same every time :)

Edited by cheddatom

[/quote]

Absolutely with you on that. In my opinion, 'cover' means version whereas 'tribute' means copy.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1464313797' post='3058412']

Cool story and good luck.

My story is the exact opposite. Switching from originals bands with few gigs and no money to gigging 2-3 times a week with good money. Enough money to quit my day job and play music for a living.

The gigging really improved my playing. Every time I pick up a bass I'm playing something creative.

Blue
[/quote]

Yep that's my experience but in reverse.

I played with a covers band for some 8 years. The standard was high, I ended up getting the gigs, which with a good product becomes easy and I excelled in getting gigs and we were playing 120 plus well paid (minimum of £80 per man back then) per year

I went from this to playing for an originals band and despite the songs being very good and it being artistically rewarding, we never have large audiences or get well paid, if we are paid at all.