Why become a member? ×

Who actually feels 100% happy with what they've got?...

Josh

I'm quite curious to know if anybody else is the same, as of the last 3 or more months I've been constantly happy with everything in regards to bass. I'm hitting that tone I've been chasing for a long time every single time I pick my basses up, besides the odd very slight tweaking of the treble and pan on my basses, both the amp and basses are still set up exactly the same as they were when I first got them. And in my playing I'm actually managing to pull off things I always wanted to over the last few years, and the theory is gradually making sense and I'm taking much more notice but at the same time not letting it dominate my playing.

It's really that rare feeling you get when you pick up your bass and everything is perfect, and then the next day it's god awful, it's that basically almost every day now and has been for the last 2 months specifically, just without the horrible next day.

And my GAS has seemingly dissapeared.

Edited by Josh

Nope, in fact I've just begun to experience a quickening if you'll excuse the Highlander reference. Basically getting out of the bedroom, playing with other musicians and up on a stage.

I am still very much improving my playing and my equipment. However, it's the most excited I've been about playing for quite a while. Whether this wears off after the first gig, we shall see! :)

[quote name='Josh' post='294636' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:19 PM']And my GAS has seemingly dissapeared.[/quote]

I'm 100% happy with my gear. I think my hartke will last me till I'm forced to downsize (which won't be for a while!) and my ray is superb. Admittedly I did just buy a new preamp, but that's merely to experiement and see what different tones I can get...NOT because I don't love the sound of my ray atm.

My technique will never be 100%, cos I'll always be striving to be that bit quicker/smoother/funkier/more technical/more knowledgeable/more fluid etc etc, but I'm pleased with where I'm at. I hope to one day not want for anything, basswise, but that'll NEVER happen :)

I'm completely happy with my rig.
Finally a bass i've always wanted (and one that actually lives up to expectations too)
A tiny amp and speaker that has a myriad of excellent sounds, fills the room and is incredibly simple to use

Don't think i'll be buying another bass for a few years now, might consider swapping one of my others
Definitely won't sell any part of my rig and am consistently impressed with it from gig to gig

Im exceptionally content with all my gear.Ive always loved my Ric, the newish Bongo is a joy to play and the Stagg EUB is the most fun you can have standing up since Lesley Ash in Quadrophenia. :brow: The Shuttle rig :wub: brings a smile to my face and a skip to my w@@@er dancing every time Im on stage and that comes out in the music. The only problem is that there is a space on my pedal board and its driving me scatty :wacko: . But I will fill it. Oh yes I will. Apart from that the only thing making me feel low is a lack of GAS. I miss it! Wot do you think. Too many smilies. Thought so :blush:

[quote name='Maxcat' post='294679' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:05 PM']Im exceptionally content with all my gear.Ive always loved my Ric, the newish Bongo is a joy to play and the Stagg EUB is the most fun you can have standing up since Lesley Ash in Quadrophenia. :brow: The Shuttle rig :wub: brings a smile to my face and a skip to my w@@@er dancing every time Im on stage and that comes out in the music. The only problem is that there is a space on my pedal board and its driving me scatty :wacko: . But I will fill it. Oh yes I will. Apart from that the only thing making me feel low is a lack of GAS. I miss it! Wot do you think. Too many smilies. Thought so :blush:[/quote]

I know what you mean I have a spare unit in my rack and I just wanna complete it.

[quote name='Josh' post='294636' date='Sep 29 2008, 04:19 PM']I'm quite curious to know if anybody else is the same, as of the last 3 or more months I've been constantly happy with everything in regards to bass. I'm hitting that tone I've been chasing for a long time every single time I pick my basses up, besides the odd very slight tweaking of the treble and pan on my basses, both the amp and basses are still set up exactly the same as they were when I first got them. And in my playing I'm actually managing to pull off things I always wanted to over the last few years, and the theory is gradually making sense and I'm taking much more notice but at the same time not letting it dominate my playing.

It's really that rare feeling you get when you pick up your bass and everything is perfect, and then the next day it's god awful, it's that basically almost every day now and has been for the last 2 months specifically, just without the horrible next day.

And my GAS has seemingly dissapeared.[/quote]

This feeling of euphoria ia well known in Psychology. Sports Psychologists refer to it as "flow" when a sports player experiences a sense of getting everything effortlessly right. You are a lucky person.

Steve

Don't think you can ever be 100% happy, but I currently feel no overwhelming urge to buy any more gear-what I've got does what I need it to do. I now have two Precisions, one intended as a backup, but I reckon the two might be interchangeable. I don't use pedals, my Trace is giving me the sound I want and is compact enough for my needs, with enough volume for pretty much any venue I'm likely to play. Sure there's stuff I'd like, a proper vintage Precision, a Trace V-type, maybe a Rick, but the chances of me having enough wonga to actually get any of these are minimal, so I'm not worried. Now playing-wise it's another kettle of [i]poisson[/i] entirely-I'm currently on a drive to improve my musical knowledge, gradually picking up more and more bits of theory. It's getting there, but still a long way to go, and there'll always be something new to learn.

I'm really happy right now. Got my dream bass, and my perfect amp. So I'm selling loads of other gear.

I reckon I'll stay GAS free until these reach the UK...

[url="http://www.music123.com/Gallien-Krueger-MB2-500-Ultra-Light-Bass-Amplifier-Head-481858-i1395936.Music123"]http://www.music123.com/Gallien-Krueger-MB...395936.Music123[/url]

Enjoy that feeling Josh, it's something definitely worth maintaining if you can... Sounds to me like it coincided with the arrival of your MTD and if it did, then it's no surprise as that's an amazing bass! I had a Tobias Classic 5 for a few years in the early 90s and it was an amazing bass too..

As for me, I'm very happy with my present crop of basses.. My Roscoe Beck 5 is my main gigging bass and I love it, both tonally and how it feels to play... I have a USA Jazz 5 as my back up and that works really well for me as a pair of basses to gig with. They have the same string spacing and similar necks, so to swap from one to the other is so easy.. Otherwise, I have an 80s BC Rich Eagle that I use for one number in our set at the moment and it sounds great.. My Wal is on a 'sabbatical' from gigs at the moment whilst I figure out how I want to use it. I've also just acquired a Status Groove 5 too from Merton and I've wanted one of those for a couple of years, so I really am sorted out bass wise.. :)

But there's a few nagging doubts I have about my rig at the moment which won't go away, especially after seeing what was there around at the SE Bash on Saturday! I am very happy with my SWR Triad but think I could do better than my Peavey T-Max in terms of it's weight, tonal flexibility and it's noise levels.. For the gigs I do, it's really good but I tried Coasterbass's Eden Navigator and it was fabulous, as was CK's Shuttle...

Choices, choices.... Never ending stream of choices..:huh:

I need a couple of custom footswitches building, and I need to sort out my pedalboard wiring because it is laughably bad and it's been like this for months now. Oh and I need another switching mod doing on my main filter which probably doesn't have room for another switch.

The sounds I'm making I'm almost 100% happy with, it's just changing between them doesn't always work that well.

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='294692' date='Sep 29 2008, 05:16 PM']Don't think you can ever be 100% happy, but I currently feel no overwhelming urge to buy any more gear-what I've got does what I need it to do. I now have two Precisions, one intended as a backup, but I reckon the two might be interchangeable. I don't use pedals, my Trace is giving me the sound I want and is compact enough for my needs, with enough volume for pretty much any venue I'm likely to play. Sure there's stuff I'd like, a proper vintage Precision, a Trace V-type, maybe a Rick, but the chances of me having enough wonga to actually get any of these are minimal, so I'm not worried. Now playing-wise it's another kettle of [i]poisson[/i] entirely-I'm currently on a drive to improve my musical knowledge, gradually picking up more and more bits of theory. It's getting there, but still a long way to go, and there'll always be something new to learn.[/quote]

Thats me! :)

I play through (comparitively) crap gear and am perfectly happy with that.

I sometimes wonder what's wrong with me, as I see basses/amps I like but have no massive desire to replace what I've got. I own 2 basses, only ever use 1 of them.

For those who care, my sh*t gear is as follows:

2007 Fender MIA Jazz
Peavey Firebass Head
No-name 2x10 300W cab (made by GM Audio in Essex I think?)

It all weighs a tonne, but it never leaves my flat. If I'm rehearsing I use the studio Trace, gigging I use any old bit of tut they've got laying around.