Why become a member? ×

(lightheartedly) depressed

Bobthedog

I have four basses (P, Jazz, Stingray and Roscoe Century) of which I have semi retired the first three on account of not quite getting the sound I want.

A guy came over this morning to buy one of my RS212 cabs and asked to have a go on my basses (he brought a Warwick thumb with him). Wow! What he got out of all of them (other than perhaps the Stingray) was a tone and sound like nothing I can produce. Unbelievable, if not slightly depressing.

I know that tone, fingers etc have been discussed many many times but next time you think a bass is not ideal, get someone else to have a go and see what that bass can do! This guys tone was unreal and also perhaps gave me a cure for GAS.

The funny things was his favourite was......... my cheapest bass - the Fender P with D'Addario Chrome flats!

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1461498060' post='3035104']
The funny things was his favourite was......... my cheapest bass - the Fender P with D'Addario Chrome flats!
[/quote]

Nothing odd about that - I have 2 and I'm contemplating a third!

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1461498060' post='3035104']
The funny things was his favourite was... my cheapest bass - the Fender P with D'Addario Chrome flats!
[/quote][quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1461499708' post='3035137']
Nothing odd about that - I have 2 and I'm contemplating a third!
[/quote]

I agree, and am always contemplating another P Bass! After decades of GAS I'm currently rocking a P with Flats. One needs nothing else, in my opinion. Unless it's a P with rounds, of course. Just in case... :)

Edited by discreet

I think I would go nuts if had a particular sound in my head I was chasing. To me all basses sound "bassy", otherwise they're pretty useless basses! That may sound infantile in its simplicity but I have a pretty broad spectrum of what "good" sounds like to me, because when it comes to playing with other musicians, in different locations, through different rigs if using house gear/gear share, to various quantities of people/room meat, with the FOH sound not in my control anyway - all that carefully researched and planned sonic calculation goes right out the window! As long as the basic tone of the instrument has some bassy heft to it and I'm able to get a bit of twang out of it for note definition and general "being heard over the ruckus" (thus eliminating some more old school designs - got shot of a Fender Starcaster after playing 1 gig with it for instance - plenty bass but not enough top even on the bridge pickup) then I'm happy.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1461499364' post='3035131']
I take my hat off to you for "retiring" them. Most folk sell and buy another almost identical bass to the one just sold. Not that it achieves anything much, but it keeps evilbay rolling on.
[/quote]

[color=#0000cd]I have never been especially happy with my tone, whilst it is "adequate" it does not have that pro type clean hit about it and at times is just not right in the mix. I have two amps to choose from with plenty of knobs and switches and 6 contact points (four left, two right) on the strings but cannot replicate what I hear live or even on electronic medium. I am not a golf player, but having heard friends, even good golfists, hit a ball and also hearing a pro hit a ball, the point of contact noise is very different.[/color]

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1461500419' post='3035144']
I think I would go nuts if had a particular sound in my head I was chasing. To me all basses sound "bassy", otherwise they're pretty useless basses! That may sound infantile in its simplicity but I have a pretty broad spectrum of what "good" sounds like to me, because when it comes to playing with other musicians, in different locations, through different rigs if using house gear/gear share, to various quantities of people/room meat, with the FOH sound not in my control anyway - all that carefully researched and planned sonic calculation goes right out the window! As long as the basic tone of the instrument has some bassy heft to it and I'm able to get a bit of twang out of it for note definition and general "being heard over the ruckus" (thus eliminating some more old school designs - got shot of a Fender Starcaster after playing 1 gig with it for instance - plenty bass but not enough top even on the bridge pickup) then I'm happy.
[/quote]

[color=#0000cd]I think the different locations, room sonics and rigs is a good point, I have very little experience of that. Thankfully I am not after a specific sound, just not happy with what I currently have.[/color]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461498731' post='3035119']
If you've retired a Precision, a Jazz and a Stingray because you can't get the sound you want out of them, I can understand why you're depressed! Those three basses must between them be on pretty much every pop and rock record from around 1957!
[/quote]

[color=#0000cd]Exactly![/color]

Edited by Bobthedog

The sound that you hear while playing is not the sound that everyone else hears, it only when you become 'everyone else' that you actually hear the sound that your gear makes. I'm sure that the sound that the guy who bought your cabs made is the sound that you make.

It's like singing. The sound in your ears is nothing like the sound in another persons ears. It's only when you hear your singing, or even just your normal voice recorded, that you hear what others hear and that is normally frightening the first time.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1461520304' post='3035359']
I think the trick is to stop thinking of the tone of your bass in isolation and start thinking of the tone in the context of a band. I can only really judge a bass, once I've listened to it in the mix at a gig or rehearsal.
[/quote]

Very much this, I took my fretless to rehearsal today as I really want it to become my go to gigging bass, we recorded the songs with the fretless (a range topping Bass Collection 512) and then recorded them again with a bitsa Jazz bass, sadly I am in total agreement with the rest of the band the Jazz sounded right.

Fretless on standby for another project I guess

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1461520304' post='3035359']
I think the trick is to stop thinking of the tone of your bass in isolation and start thinking of the tone in the context of a band. I can only really judge a bass, once I've listened to it in the mix at a gig or rehearsal.
[/quote]

Agreed, but in this instance I was just hearing another bass player in isolation and comparing that to my sound.

The point of this thread was not, however, really meant as a gripe from me but more of a validation to me of how much difference the hands can make through the same kit. Sometimes we are keen to change the kit, when in fact, just a change of touch / technique could make all the difference . What I know for sure now is that the four basses I own are more than capable of carrying a superb tone and should I sell any of them, it down to my shortcomings, not the bass!

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1461529571' post='3035501']Sometimes we are keen to change the kit when in fact, just a change of touch/technique could make all the difference.
[/quote]

Yes. It may not all be in the fingers, but I'm quite sure a lot of it is.

Edited by discreet

I've said this numerous times on here, and you always get the same replies poo-pooing the idea that how an instruments sounds can be so much down to the player.

I've played other guys instruments when I was at uni, and they played my basses. So same instrument, cable, amp settings, different sound.

Yet guys spend thousands and thousands on instruments and amps, when maybe they just need to learn how to use what they've already got ?

I've found that I always sound like me whatever equipment I use, and other people always sound like them when playing through my rig (bass or guitar)! EQ, effects, guitar/bass choice seem to be a way of forcing the "me" into the relevant place in overall band context.

I'm not sure whether this is a good thing, or just shows up my horrible lack of flexibility in playing.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1461579359' post='3035745']
...EQ, effects, guitar/bass choice seem to be a way of forcing the "me" into the relevant place in overall band context. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing, or just shows up my horrible lack of flexibility in playing.
[/quote]

Nonsense! It's your dynamic style and originality shining through regardless. :)

put another player on my bass through my rig and they will sound like they never have before. Obviously they will sound different to me, but it's not ALL in the fingers

Anyway, I practise acoustically, and I find this lets me hear the true sound before I even get to an amp. I can get as much or as little "fret clank" as I want without messing with EQ. I can get the punchy middle sound of playing right next to the bridge, or the thick woolly sound playing up next to the neck. After practising acoustically it's just second nature. If you're not happy with the sounds your techniques are producing, I'd highly recommend practising un-plugged.

"I think I would go nuts if had a particular sound in my head I was chasing. To me all basses sound "bassy", otherwise they're pretty useless basses! That may sound infantile in its simplicity but I have a pretty broad spectrum of what "good" sounds like to me, because when it comes to playing with other musicians, in different locations, through different rigs if using house gear/gear share, to various quantities of people/room meat, with the FOH sound not in my control anyway - all that carefully researched and planned sonic calculation goes right out the window! As long as the basic tone of the instrument has some bassy heft to it and I'm able to get a bit of twang out of it for note definition and general "being heard over the ruckus" (thus eliminating some more old school designs - got shot of a Fender Starcaster after playing 1 gig with it for instance - plenty bass but not enough top even on the bridge pickup) then I'm happy.

Brilliant post...been saying the same for yrs.. and to prove it.

Did a summer fest gig using a P with old flats, lovely I thought nice and thumpy with just the right amount of cut.

Set was video'd and I could not believe the FOH tone which sounded more like a Wal wide open than a P bass.
with old flats and the tone rolled off a smidg.

Edited by ians

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1461610769' post='3036160']
Did a summer fest gig using a P with old flats, lovely I thought nice and thumpy with just the right amount of cut. Set was video'd and I could not believe the FOH tone which sounded more like a Wal wide open than a P bass.
[/quote]

There you go. I keep getting sidetracked by various basses but it's been proved to me over and over again for decades that a good P bass with flats is most definitely where it's at and I don't need anything else! :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1461534096' post='3035554']
I've said this numerous times on here, and you always get the same replies poo-pooing the idea that how an instruments sounds can be so much down to the player.

I've played other guys instruments when I was at uni, and they played my basses. So same instrument, cable, amp settings, different sound.

Yet guys spend thousands and thousands on instruments and amps, when maybe they just need to learn how to use what they've already got ?
[/quote]

You're right on this.

When I studied with Jeff Berlin, we all tried his bass out and he tried all of ours. Without fail, he sounded (or could make himself sound) exactly like himself on every single one. We all sounded the same on his bass the way we did on our own instruments. So that pretty much answered most of my questions and thoughts around that.

Amps etc give us different flavours of ourselves, but IMO at the root of it is all down to the player, and in the main how they generate tone with their right hand.

It's a tough lesson to take.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1461612690' post='3036177']
...it is all down to the player, and in the main how they generate tone with their right hand.
[/quote]

Agree with that. The left hand has a fair bit to do with it too, or at least it does in my case.

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1461612690' post='3036177']

Amps etc give us different flavours of ourselves, but IMO at the root of it is all down to the player, and in the main how they generate tone with their right hand.

It's a tough lesson to take.
[/quote]

Different flavours of ourselves, the perfect description.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1461613497' post='3036185']
Agree with that. The left hand has a fair bit to do with it too, or at least it does in my case.
[/quote]

I think about the left hand as more about muting and note duration, although ghost notes/vibrato/'stings' are an important part of how we sound overall. But still, the right hand attack does the bulk of making notes sound good, or terrible. IMO of course, lol

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1461615177' post='3036205']
Different flavours of ourselves, the perfect description.
[/quote]

I aim to please... :)