Why become a member? ×

He's at it again...Vintage Marlin Content :)

I sold mine for about 120.

250 is a real joke.

[i][color=#000000][b]Only the best solid tone woods were chosen [/b]for the original German Marlins, the one on sale also has a beautiful flamed North-American maple neck. [/color][/i]

[color=#000000]Cool! I'll sell the 'wicks then and get this! [/color]

[i][color=#000000]...[b]Contoured heavy Alder body....[/b][/color][/i]

[color=#000000]Funny thing is, when I stripped the body of mine to re-paint it, it was blocks of wood with a thick laminate either side. How does he know this isn't too.[/color]

[color=#000000]In fairness, mine was a good bass. But he is over selling it.[/color]

Edited by Grangur

Anyone spot a contradiction in the two statements below? (my underline)

These are quite rare to come buy, especially in this [u]perfect fully original condition[/u].

The only part that is [u]currently missing [/u]is the thumbrest (there are still two holes for it in the pickguard and body), but these are universal and very cheap to get.

Also made in Germany but I suspect Eastern Germany.....?

Marlin basses didn't originally have a thumb rest.

The original bass didn't have a Thumb rest.

Marlin were a cheap, entry-level brand based in Wales, and sold their stuff mostly in the UK during the 80s. They were quite popular at the time, despite notoriously bad construction and plywood bodies on many models. They were sold through music shops, but also through catalogues (such as Kays and Littlewoods).

The brand was bought out later by Honer.

They were cheap but good value for money. A number have nice flame maple necks. It was the neck thst had me reluctant to sell mine, but I wasn't too sold on the tone. Nothing really wrong with them. Better than some Squiers IMHO. The bridge is undeniably better than those on a Fender.

I won't be buying the bass on ebay though! :)

Suprise suprise (just like the other one he is trying to sell.... This very same bass (with the same missing thumb rest) sold for £42.00 less two weeks ago. ha ha.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Marlin-Slammer-Think-geniune-1980-/301921429577?hash=item464beb6849%3Ag%3A1o0AAOSwZ8ZXBVRO&nma=true&si=J9hWsDl%252FZ4O0U7n1xD7mGPi9SoY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

[quote name='GCYPbass' timestamp='1461830339' post='3037900']
[color=#333333]"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."[/color]

Missed :unsure:
[/quote]

Fear not, opportunity is once more yours http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Marlin-Slammer-Fender-Precision-electric-bass-guitar-VINTAGE-RARE-/121967020851?hash=item1c65cd0b33:g:X7wAAOSwqbZXFMKB

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1461861007' post='3038313']

Fear not, opportunity is once more yours http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1980-Marlin-Slammer-Fender-Precision-electric-bass-guitar-VINTAGE-RARE-/121967020851?hash=item1c65cd0b33:g:X7wAAOSwqbZXFMKB
[/quote]

I won't miss it this time and it is £25 less ;)

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1461868093' post='3038397']

And, once you've had a fictional 'North American maple neck' you never go back... ;)
[/quote]

It is "flamed" North American maple neck so I think I will pass on that ;)
only if it was just 'North American maple neck' :unsure:

Edited by GCYPbass

I thought that flame maple tended to be softer & less dense than most non-figured planks? Can't remember where I picked that up from though!

At any rate the neck wood grain is fairly sensible (not obviously deviating from roughly straight grain from what I can see) so the bass will probably be as good in another 30+ years if it's taken care of.
Not sure if it represents decent value at that price considering what's out there on the used market.

Rebranded early 80s Musima from behind the Iron Curtain - Musima or unbranded examples (which often have better quality Gotoh tuners & bridges) probably fetch £80 - £100 on a good day. With a recognised rubbish brand like Marlin on the headstock, you can probably knock about £50 off that!

Probably a halfway decent old bass if he was asking about £70, they are less common & better quality than later MIK Marlins. At least he had the decency to leave the Made In GDR sticker on the head and not pretend it was MIJ.

Anyway - "Guitar Garage London" - missed out a "b"?

Jon.

[quote name='the hand of john curley' timestamp='1461871666' post='3038444']
This joker makes 'he who should not be named' ( clue: wide necks for builders fingers!!) sound positively knowledgable!!!!!!!!

For a moment there I thought it was on sale for £220 hahahah......oh hang on......
[/quote]

Hahahaha :D