Why become a member? ×

Flush mount straplocks - a turn off?

Gamble

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1460323749' post='3024719']
The only drawback is you MUST have a strap with Dunlop straplocks to hand - you can't just use any old strap in an emergency!
[/quote]
When buying a bass, they would be an instant turn-off for me for precisely this reason.

[quote name='Gamble' timestamp='1460319016' post='3024673']
Just looking for opinions, I'm considering fitting flush mount Dunlop straplocks to my Warwick Corvette $$ (I like them, already got them on 3 of my basses) but not sure if they'd put anyone off if I ever came to sell the bass.

Ta!
[/quote]

I'm not a fan... but they would not turn me off enough to pass on a bass that I liked.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I have never had a strap detach itself from a bass and so have never used straplocks. This could be because I don't go in for onstage gymnastics, spinning my bass round my head etc.; rather I jiggle in place at the most. Are straplock users more acrobatic?

I once saw my guitarists brand new Les Paul hit a concrete floor and push the lead inside the guitar and crack the bottom of his guitar
All along the front, He was just stood playing doing nothing wild. Since then Dunlop strap locks are fitted to everything I have.

I love the look of flush ones too.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1460358243' post='3024838']
I'm not trying to be argumentative but I have never had a strap detach itself from a bass and so have never used straplocks. This could be because I don't go in for onstage gymnastics, spinning my bass round my head etc.; rather I jiggle in place at the most. Are straplock users more acrobatic?
[/quote]

I've had loads come adrift and my own Mum wouldn't accuse me of being acrobatic.

There is such a wide variety of strap-button shapes and sizes, of locations to put them, of guitar strap materials and flexibility, of hole-sizes in said guitar straps, that sooner or later you will walk on stage slinging your bass over ... only to have it keep [i][b]slinging [/b][/i]until it hits the ground.

On t'other hand, I've read loads of posts about people breaking strings on their basses. Short of using a titanium pick with a serrated edge, I simply cannot imagine what you would have to do to break a bass string. Certainly I've never managed it and I have anything but a light touch.

So I guess we're even then ...

:lol:

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1460363130' post='3024884']
Meh! I played a huge range of guitars & basses on stage, studio and pit for well over 20 years. I honestly can't remember one of them ever coming loose (and I do recall - albeit somewhat dimly - being quite active on stage, especially as a guitarist). Each to their own I guess... :mellow:
[/quote]

I remember watching the Eurovision qualifiers this year and seeing the guitar strap of one of the performers looking somewhat insecure - made a remark to my wife that she really should have checked that before going on stage or there will be trouble...

https://youtu.be/HJyXF3oJX-I?t=5

Lo and behold, about a minute later - Whoops! live on national TV. :)

https://youtu.be/HJyXF3oJX-I?t=79

I had my brand new custom ordered Jaydee detach itself from the strap & go crashing headstock first into the floor a few days after I'd bought it.
All I was doing was standing up playing at home, not even gigging. From that day on I started to use straplocks.

Someone bought me a set of Fender strap locks as a present having seen me nearly drop my bass on stage awhile ago. I tried fitting them to my P bass and found that they would not fit my genuine Fender padded bass strap. The nice man at the shop he bought them from replaced them with Schallers with no quibble and guess what - they don't fit my strap either. So I've given up on the idea. I'm just careful to make sure my strap is securely attached and I am a jiggler not a jumper so I've not had an issue since.

[quote name='juliusmonk' timestamp='1460381146' post='3025164']
How can strap locks not fit a strap? Must be a special strap? Pardon the ignorance...
[/quote]

Straps with thick ends can be a bit of a pain unless you enlarge the hole a bit. More info in this thread - http://basschat.co.uk/topic/70420-schaller-strap-locks-and-how-to-fit-them-properly/

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1460377722' post='3025101']
Plus, IMHO, Dunlop flush mounted are better than Schallers which have an annoying habit of loosening themselves over time.
[/quote]
I've been using Schaller straplocks since 1986. I have never, ever had one loosen itself in all that time.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1460394058' post='3025354']

I've been using Schaller straplocks since 1986. I have never, ever had one loosen itself in all that time.
[/quote]

Same here. I do tighten them up with a spanner though.
I do know of people who have them come loose, but they are invariably the same people that only finger tighten them.

I used to use Schaller on all my bass guitars and every single set would slowly unscrew itself on the strap side. I could not find a loose or tight enough torque setting to stop this. I have now moved to Dunlop and they all seem safe. The only issue is the straps sometimes twist on the mount and need to be untwisted before putting over my shoulder. I like the idea of flush mounted but if they need bigger holes drilled in the bass, I will pass.

So let me get this straight. They're flush mounted so you can't see them except when you've got a strap on - when you really wouldn't see ordinary ones either. And in the event that you ever had to use an ordinary strap you'd be screwed?
Are they made by a company called Gullible, Gimmick & Profit?

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1460394453' post='3025358']
Same here. I do tighten them up with a spanner though.
I do know of people who have them come loose, but they are invariably the same people that only finger tighten them.
[/quote]

That may be it. I never had issues with them (when I still used them), but I tightened them with a wrench.

Now I use Grolsch rubber washers and they work beautifully. Shame I don't like the beer that much ;)

[quote name='Gamble' timestamp='1460319016' post='3024673']
Just looking for opinions, I'm considering fitting flush mount Dunlop straplocks to my Warwick Corvette $$ (I like them, already got them on 3 of my basses) but not sure if they'd put anyone off if I ever came to sell the bass.

Ta!
[/quote]

Don't Warwicks come with Warwick straplocks? My SS1 has them and although I bought it used I am sure it came fitted with them from new.