Why become a member? ×

Flush mount straplocks - a turn off?

Gamble

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1460390178' post='3025273']
Grolsch.
[/quote]

This all they way!

Used schaller before but it's just unnecessary fuss and it meant that I couldn't use my strap with other basses.

IMO, I can't see any benefit using straplocks over a couple of rubber washers.

All of mine have shallers, except my ACG which came with dunlop straplocks. The dunlops seem ok, but not very useful that it is the only one that that strap fits!

And yes, I have had them come of straps before, which is why the straplock is an essential.

On the other hand, another type of straplock wouldn't put me off buying a bass, as they are a 2 minute job to change.

Edited by Woodinblack

My basses came factory-fitted with straplocks, so up to now I did not have to decide on that.
Some were of the flush type and some were not. Both have pros and cons...

On the whole, I think that they add safety as long as you revise them frequently: parts may have loosened, or the strap piece may not be fully put [b]into[/b] the bass piece...
So try to keep in mind that straplocks are no guarantee for an instrument not falling to the ground.

But for straplock-free basses I would appreciate comments on solutions like the rubber pieces mentioned here and there ...
Cheers

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1460358243' post='3024838']
I'm not trying to be argumentative but I have never had a strap detach itself from a bass and so have never used straplocks. This could be because I don't go in for onstage gymnastics, spinning my bass round my head etc.; rather I jiggle in place at the most. Are straplock users more acrobatic?
[/quote]

Ive had a few straps come undone while gigging. The worst one was when I was singing the lead vox and had to grab the bass to stop it from hitting the floor.
I had to carry on singing without the bass and it sounded dreadful.
I use the Fender straplocks with the push button quick release on all my basses these days.

All my electric basses have Dunlop Straploks (bar the Aria - Grosch but will upgrade when I get around to it...) and I wouldn't have it any other way. Personally I prefer the Dunlop system to the Schaller so I've stuck with that.

However, while the engineering used by the Dunlop system allows you to flush mount it has always seemed to me to be addressing an aesthetic and engineering problem I have never had and does come with practical downsides. On the OP's future sale question I guess the answer must be... "For Sale: Warwick Bass, strap included."