Why become a member? ×

Fiddle player steaming drunk at gig

cameltoe

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1459268615' post='3014951']
Seems to have been 'edited' a week ago........
- I wonder why?
[/quote]

You can see from the page history that it was just a template change. It hasn't had any significant content updates for the last two years.

That might change today though. Huehuehuehueh.

S.P.

The BC language police are out in force!

I'd fire the guy if he's not nice to be around and incapable of doing his job. I have a bassist friend who's notorious for going on drunk at festival gigs where there's a lot of waiting. While knowing it's not right, the band put up with it as alcohol effects him by making him charming and hilarious, and honestly and inexplicably turns him into a beast of a player... if only I could get away with that!

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1459272432' post='3015021']
The BC language police are out in force!

I'd fire the guy if he's not nice to be around and incapable of doing his job. I have a bassist friend who's notorious for going on drunk at festival gigs where there's a lot of waiting. While knowing it's not right, the band put up with it as alcohol effects him by making him charming and hilarious, and honestly and inexplicably turns him into a beast of a player... if only I could get away with that!
[/quote]

Me too!

I love a drink as much as anyone, but never before a gig, it takes the edge off and my timing suffers. Quick toke between sets is even worse (not something I participate in these days), really ruins the timing.

Just noticed he's old enough to know better, too! You almost expect this kind of behaviour from those with less maturity and experience... but if Matey hasn't got his head together by now, it's hard to believe he ever will.

Having said that, it's never too late if you're motivated, prepared to listen to good advice and have the loving support of friends and family... look at me! :lol:

I agree he needs to go, the band comes first and whilst it might be a PITA to find a replacement he'll only bring you down. At the same time I hope if any of you are good friends with him you might be able push him in the direction of getting some help. Yes, he's a pain, but it sounds like he's heading down bad path!

Edited by barneyg42

Sit him down and tell him the deal.

The collective agree to give him one chance...assuming you have the gigs to accomodate that and when he stuffs up again,,,,
there is your out.

You are doing it this way out of respect for his illness, fairness etc etc etc... and you know'll he'll most likely stuff up
and you've tried to help.

Or.... just sack him...whichever your conscience will allow, but you know it will very very likely only end one way, but at least you've given HIM a chance to help himself.

Just my take on it

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459277360' post='3015087']
Sit him down and tell him the deal.

The collective agree to give him one chance...assuming you have the gigs to accomodate that and when he stuffs up again,,,,
there is your out.

You are doing it this way out of respect for his illness, fairness etc etc etc... and you know'll he'll most likely stuff up
and you've tried to help.

Or.... just sack him...whichever your conscience will allow, but you know it will very very likely only end one way, but at least you've given HIM a chance to help himself.

Just my take on it
[/quote]

You talk about his 'illness', but getting ****** isn't an illness, plenty of non-alcoholic musicians do it all of the time whilst plenty of alcoholics maintain the appearance, even the actuality, of sobriety on stage. People who drink too much all too often hide behind the illness facade when the real issue is simply lack of respect and/or lack of self-control.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1459275078' post='3015053']
I've taken out posts with a Wiki link in.
Sorry we can't have anything that might be potentially libelous.
[/quote]

How can it be libellous if he wrote it himself? :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459280985' post='3015134']
If he is an alcoholic, I'll give him the benefit of it being an illness.. but I'll still only give him one final warning...
[/quote]

The OP didn't state that the guy is an alcoholic, and in my experience alcoholics are too clever with hiding it to get so sh*t-faced on a gig that they're falling over.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459280919' post='3015133']

Christ, it's not [i]him[/i], is it?? :blink:

I've been asked if I'd like to replace myself before now. :D
[/quote] good god no it's me.... Oh hang on a minute I don't play fiddle... Fiddley Jim is his name, used to be my keyboard player but plays a mean violin

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1459281168' post='3015143']
The OP didn't state that the guy is an alcoholic, and in my experience alcoholics are too clever with hiding it to get so sh*t-faced on a gig that they're falling over.
[/quote]

Neither did I

Sack him. Nobody's irreplaceable. No good carrying someone, no matter how able, if they're too pissed to play. Only you, who know what they're capable of when sober, will know they're any use. The audience, who never hear them sober, will just think they're crap - and the rest of the band, too - few will notice that the rest of you do get it right. They'll only notice sonny boy messing up. As for "illness" etc, you're a band, not social workers or therapists. Horses for courses.

Cripes nearly all of you think it's gross misconduct so instant dismissal........ I would confess to having been drunk on stage once or twice in my youth ........ but only as hilariously as other incidents like the drummer's stool breaking and him falling off the back of the stage in the middle of Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is by Rose Royce - all the more hilarious because this particular drummer was v flash both in dress and his choice of kit - all see through shells with gold and red stripes......

Even if we are talking a fully pro outfit I would have thought a firm rollocking plus a bit of gentle persuasion and diversion at future gigs would have the desired effect.

I've seen famous pros pissed on stage before now - and they didn't get thrown out. I think you should all lighten up a bit!! It's not as if he nicked the singer's missus or something!!

I don't think he's an alcoholic and I certainly never meant to insinuate that. He had a free pass for the night as he didn't have to drive and took full advantage at the expense of the band.

This is the second time it's happened in 5-6 years. The first was an even bigger gig, but he'd only recently joined the band so we hadn't had the other stuff to contend with.

The website has been a constant PITA. As he holds all the control over this, he makes it look how he wants. Which has included uploading images we're not happy with, photos of the band that we hate (of us stood about in the woods. The f***** woods!) and the last update had the random slogan 'Kick Ass Folk Rock' on the home page that made us all cringe. When asked to take it off, repeatedly, he didn't, and it stayed there for about 6 months. I'm too embarrassed to look at the website now and find myself apologising to people who ask for the address in advance. The last time I checked it didn't look as bad as it had previously, but still unprofessional and not in keeping with what we want. Same goes with social media where some very bizarre stuff has been uploaded.