Why become a member? ×

Recommend an alternative to a Fender Mex P-bass

isteen

I am looking for a new P-bass, no more expensive than the obvious choice - a Fender mexican edition.
I really don't care what name is on the headstock - anyone have recommandtions for good choices within that price range?
Good sound and quality built are my requirements

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1459180826' post='3014180']
Yamaha Bb
[/quote]

Plus 1. The best sounding P basses with a Jazz pickup thrown in. I own a BB 1100s and a Nate Mendel and to be honest, the Yam sounds better.

Imo of course.

Edited by jezzaboy

I have several Fender P's and 1 Marusczyk Jake which is my current go to bass because it's very light. I have replaced the loom and the pickup because it didn't soumd right. It now has a Kiogon loom and a Delano pickup and it's much better.

If fender were lighter I prefer the them every time.

IMO of course. :D

Thanks for posting everybody, let me explain a bit more.
I already own a Sandberg Electra, the best bass I have ever owned.
I also have had MIM Fenders, and honestly I wasn't impressed with the tone.
Wihout checking prices I think [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk and Schecter is priced way higher.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yamaha and G&L sounds interesting, I will check them out.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Squier is always interesting, I've had a few of those and I will ry them sode by side to the Yamaha and G&L.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks to everybody who contributed[/font][/color]

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1459230964' post='3014541']
Thanks for posting everybody, let me explain a bit more.
I already own a Sandberg Electra, the best bass I have ever owned.
I also have had MIM Fenders, and honestly I wasn't impressed with the tone.
Wihout checking prices I think [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk and Schecter is priced way higher.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Yamaha and G&L sounds interesting, I will check them out.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Squier is always interesting, I've had a few of those and I will ry them sode by side to the Yamaha and G&L.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks to everybody who contributed[/font][/color]
[/quote]

What don't you like about the tone of an MIM? IMHO the tone of a MIM is far better than the G&L I used to own. The G&L I horrible and metallic like a MMan, but that's only MY view others like that sound and good for them. It takes all sorts...

What is your liking?

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1459231477' post='3014544']
What don't you like about the tone of an MIM?
[/quote]

I had the Fender Classic Series '50s model, and I just never godt used to the wide neck and the tone of the bass.
The Sandberg Electra is much better in my opinion

[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1459260089' post='3014862']
I had the Fender Classic Series '50s model, and I just never godt used to the wide neck and the tone of the bass.
The Sandberg Electra is much better in my opinion
[/quote]

Ah, I think I see - I had one of those and it was the most aggressive stock Fender Precision I`ve ever had. Really barked. The newer MIMs aren`t quite as aggressive, and a pickup change can also really make a difference - I put a Custom Shop one in mine, the same pickup that comes in the US Standards and it was a noticeable and nice difference. Much smoother and full across the tonal spectrum.

[quote name='ColinB' timestamp='1459173993' post='3014088']
So why not a Fender Mex one?
[/quote]
[quote name='isteen' timestamp='1459173494' post='3014082']
Good sound and quality built are my requirements
[/quote]

:)

I would grab a Squier Classic Vibe over a MIM (or USA, for that matter) Fender any day. Great basses for the money, and QC seems to be on point, in that I have not played a bad one.