Why become a member? ×

Dad has retired and is taking up bass....

FuNkShUi

After teaching a few people the basics now myself often just getting them to hold it correctly is a big first hurdle.
Then plucking can be a nightmare too.
Then fretting, holding the neck etc etc.

For some these very basics can take a while. Be patient.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1457437538' post='2998461']
For some these very basics can take a while. Be patient.
[/quote]

I'm pretty patient. Unfortunately my dad isn't.
So i have to make sure to give him enough information to keep improving/learning, but not too much to make him overwhelmed i think

IMO the [i]very [/i]first thing you should show him is how to hold the bass and how to play with a technique that will both enable him to play to the best of his potential and also avoid injury problems further down the line. Both are covered in the link I posted in post # 15.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1457441634' post='2998558']
Firstly, don't do 1 finger per fret. Start with 1,2,4.

Next get him into a band ASAP.
[/quote]

Any reason not to start with 1 finger per fret?

I will encourage him to join a band.

Dont think he will though, until he deems himself "good enough". He's a perfectionist so it might be a while!

Firstly, don't do 1 finger per fret. Start with 1,2,4.[/quote]

+100. Playing OFPF on the lower (1-5) frets is too much of a reach for some seasoned players, not to mind someone picking up a bass for the first time.

OP you asked why......:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkxu_7Tn48

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1457446049' post='2998651']
Yeh i get that, i thought of it as a good excercise to "connect" his fretting and plucking hand.
I'll take that on board though.
Excercise will still work playing it as 1,2&4 on each string.
Cheers!
[/quote]

IMO the best way to teach the OFPF is to do it above the fifth fret..e.g. on frets 9,10,11,12. As he gets used to and comfortable with that, he can move down the fret board. Personally I always recommend using fingers 1,2 & 4 on frets 1-5.

Aha - one finger, one fret?

If so - nay, nay, thrice ay - get him playing a groove with the way he is most comfortable with.

OFPF completely bu88ered my wrist.

Went back to the olden way of any finger'll do and my playing improved and the pain disappeared.

Just sayin'....

...get him into a band ASAP.
[/quote]

+1 The quickest way to learn, imho.
Then get him ripped to the tits on drink and drugs, just like a real rock star! It'll be great!

Edited by discreet

I've bought him the Stuart Clayton book recommended earlier.
He can work through that as he wants to.
Like I said, he won't be keen to have lessons off me, but I'll try and teach him a few things, without him knowing that's what I'm doing.
If that fails, I'll get him off his face on guiness and red wine.

I would always recommend having lessons from an actual live tutor, and one who isn't a family member. IMHO this is particularly useful for the more mature learner. One reason being, that you aren't going to want to turn up at you next lesson not having practised anything from the time before.

If your teacher is a family member I think it's too easy to make excuses .. 'oh, I had to mow the lawn, wash the car, make the dinner' or whatever. Also there is the temptation to postpone lessons 'let's do it tomorrow, I'm too busy right now'

I'm always going to recommend lessons in any thread like this though, because it worked (still works!) for me. Other approaches are available. I think the Stuart Clayton book is great too, and my teacher used to often refer to it.

I just think this is the best story ever! Good on him. It's never too late to learn something new and playing a musical instrument is one of the most coveted gifts. Tell him he is a star already for siezing the day !