Why become a member? ×

Brian Johnson - AC/DC: hearing woes

colgraff

It seems that Brian Johnson hasn't been looking after his hearing:

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35751399"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-35751399[/url]

The band has a reputation as one of the loudest in the world. Guitar company Gibson said AC/DC's "Back in Black" tour reached 130 decibels, leading to complaints from promoters. According to Purdue, that's the volume of a military jet with an afterburner taking off of an aircraft carrier from just 50 feet away, and beyond the 120-decibel pain threshold.
While the band's concerts are no longer quite that loud, they remain known for volume, even using cannons on stage for the song "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)."
If Johnson doesn't perform again, his final show with the band will have been on Feb. 28 in Kansas City.

Edited by colgraff

I was once stood watching Slade's tour manager sat on the stage while the band sound-checked. He had a decibel meter.
"It's says 126 decibels", he said after, "That's the same as sitting underneath Concorde as it takes off",

I blame 36 Slade concerts and a dozen or more Motorhead concerts for my tinnitus. Slade's drummer Don has hearing difficulties, AFAIK the rest are OK. Strange how it affects some folk and not others.

As I understand it, as we get older we have an increased probability of assorted things going wrong, deafness with or without tinnitus, cancer, joint problems, etc. How we live affects the probability of these ailments happening. I have very, very mild tinnitus in my forties and am taking all possible precautions against it getting worse any faster than is absolutely necessary.

That's insane. I wear earplugs at every opportunity to combat hearing loss and practice at a sensible volume (quiet). The one drummer I play with cannot hear his hihats and cannot hear you rubbing your fingers together next to his ears.

It's no fun.

Not good - years in front of those stacks have obviously taken their toll. I have to admit I don`t like playing in front of stacked speakers as my hearing is always a bit iffy the day after. Prefer my cabs one high and the sound hitting my knees - not bothered how deaf they get.

I only ever heard the band from outside a venue once and boy were they thunderous. My ears are also on the way out now and Iuse industrial strength ear plugs every time, even for acoustic gigs, it actually makes the band sound better!

IMHO , there are everyday things other than music, that are potentially worse .
For example; in a loading bay where "builders" chuck metal objects on concrete floors from their lorries. Trying to talk to the security staff on the other side of the reception desk , without using too many expletives is very difficult .?
That is actually worse than having a drummer hitting his/ her foot pedals when you are on your knees setting up your equipment ( and theirs , which explains the kneeling down;) )

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35751399"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35751399[/url]

Since the bonnie lad appears to be going mutt, who would you choose to replace him?

They will use someone to finish off the tour apparently . After that, I think the writings on the wall , and they should call it a day .

No idea, but only 2 spring to mind : steve soussa( I think that's his name? Exodus frontman )and the vocalist from airborne .( spellchecker issues)

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Ironically I woke up even deafer than usual this morning, having used earplugs at a rehearsal for the first time ever last night.
Seeing Brian Johnson on the news was the icing on the cake.
I think it shoved some crap down my good ear, I'm all underwatery and shall go back to pointing my deaf ear at the drummer instead...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1457441345' post='2998550']
Ironically I woke up even deafer than usual this morning, having used earplugs at a rehearsal for the first time ever last night.
[/quote]

Did you forget to take the plugs out?

Poor chap. Can't be an easy decision to have to step down from the career that's been his life for the last 36 years.

But he's been brilliant and given us all some amazing memories. What a band. We salute you.

Speaking as a lifelong AC/DC fan tho I do think its time for them to call it a day. With only Angus left and Cliff the only other long-serving member, I'd like to see them stop rather than drag it out.

You've already given music fans a lifetime of great albums and stunning live gigs, so you've got nothing left to prove to us.

Thanks for it all. It's been a blast. And get well soon Brian.

If they are going to complete the tour (and their career) with any dignity I think they'll have to take perhaps 4 or 5 special guest vocalists out with them and have them do a few numbers each. It'd be more of a tribute to Brian and celebration of ACDC than a contractual obligation.
Perhaps Brian could introduce the band and then go and sit backstage.

Alternatively they could do a lot worse than get the Bon and Brian impersonators from the great UK tribute Live Wire.

Edited by James Nada