Why become a member? ×

first ever stingray for sale !

lojo

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1457371904' post='2997897']
I've seen that up for sale before somewhere. Not sure it was quite that price tag then.
[/quote]

It's got the usual Andy Baxter "add 40% to what it's actually worth" thing happening.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1457376926' post='2997970']
I'm no collector, but I would have thought with its pedigree that would be one of the most collectable basses around, so, relatively, well worth the price.
[/quote]

It's got to be a sound long term investment, there will presumably always be collectors willing to pay a premium for a pretty important bit of Leo Fender's legacy, especially as it seems to be in near pristine condition.

You'd have to be seriously wealthy to buy it and gig it though.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1457377597' post='2997979']
It's got to be a sound long term investment, there will presumably always be collectors willing to pay a premium for a pretty important bit of Leo Fender's legacy, especially as it seems to be in near pristine condition.

You'd have to be seriously wealthy to buy it and gig it though.
[/quote]

I'd agree with that.
There is always going to be someone out there that wants it.

What an amazing piece of (expensive) history, though personaly I love to see them well worn etc.
I owned a black early 1977 B No model thoughout the 80's...but it was a dog, heavy as hell and I could never get the classic gnarly tone out of it.
Iconic basses though.

I've thought this when it has appeared before but it really ought to be in a museum (if there is such a thing for guitars).

B001000 means it's the first numbered bass off the production line but pre-production ones are around numbered X00etc - usually (or always in natural). The bass owned by Sterling Ball on which the 40th Anniversary model is based (Old Smoothie) is B001027 - Strings and Things also have one of the first 10 production ones, which was on their stand at last year's LBGS.

That bass at Andy Baxters looks particularly nice though - the woods look fabulous. From the photos, Forrest White's initials are on the neck and neck pocket so presumably he had a hand in assembling it - as one of the partners of the company that's some provenance for an instrument, and a real piece of history.

Edited by drTStingray