Why become a member? ×

Bass Day Nov 9th

Monz

Spotted the advert for this in the BGM but couldn't find a link on BC so thought I would see who else is going...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to Bass Day UK
Manchester, November 9th 2008
Concerts - Clinics - Workshops and UK's best Trade Brands & Luthiers

The Royal Northern College of Music
124 Oxford Road
Manchester
M13 9RD
Telephone: 0161 907 5200
Fax: 0161 273 7611
Click Here for the Map

Food Served All Day!

Ticket Prices:
Online: £20.00
Doors: £22.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[url="http://www.bassday.co.uk/"]http://www.bassday.co.uk/[/url]

Ill admit this has aught my curiosity, though im a little put off by the £20 tickets, has anyone been to one of these before and are they worth the money?

[quote name='Monz' post='288715' date='Sep 21 2008, 08:04 PM']Spotted the advert for this in the BGM but couldn't find a link on BC so thought I would see who else is going...

Welcome to Bass Day UK
Manchester, November 9th 2008
Concerts - Clinics - Workshops and UK's best Trade Brands & Luthiers

The Royal Northern College of Music
124 Oxford Road
Manchester
M13 9RD
Telephone: 0161 907 5200
Fax: 0161 273 7611
Click Here for the Map

Food Served All Day!

Ticket Prices:
Online: £20.00
Doors: £22.00

[url="http://www.bassday.co.uk/"]http://www.bassday.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

Hey guys! It's been a while since I posted.. sorry bout that.. Sometimes life goes faster than I can live it :)

So, [b]Bass Day UK 2008[/b]!
I'm Pris, one of the team of three that organises it. I know, we're a bit rubbish in promoting the day, but I can assure you it's worth it. You may think 20 quid is a bit steep, BUT.. you'll get 11 hours of shows, performances, clinics, workshops, master classes, testing out new gear from leading brands, everything and anything bass related, free goodies and a fantastic prize draw for your money. That's really not all that bad, y'know!

Check the [b][url="http://www.bassday.co.uk"]BASS DAY UK WEBSITE[/url][/b] or [b][url="http://www.myspace.com/bassdayuk"]BASS DAY UK MY SPACE[/url][/b] for updates, line up and more info.
Also, feel free to hit me with an email if you'd like to know more.

See you there!
-Pris

Edited by Pris-

[quote name='cheddatom' post='291666' date='Sep 25 2008, 11:56 AM']Is there a bar? Is it £1/pint?[/quote]

LOL, I'm glad you have your priorities straight!

I can tell you what I know, there's a caf on the premises where you can buy food and soft drinks all day. The event is hosted over three rooms, and two trade areas. The bit where the caf is, will be surrounded by trade stands. (So unfortunately, you wont be able to enjoy an artist performance whilst having a tea, but you can put some extra dribble to your food, ogling the sexy basses around you.)

I'm not sure if the caf also serves alcoholic drinks, but what I AM sure of is that there's a pub across the street.

-Pris

I went last year, and I'll be going again this year.

£20 is well worth the money for the number of artists performing IMO. I saw Hadrien Feraud for the first time there last year, and I'd pay the £20 for him alone. But to have Richard Bona and Yolanda Charles there.....along with others.....it's well worth it. (And no, I'm not on commission :)).

And I'm glad it's in a great place!

Wheeey! Looking forward to seeing you again, Ped. You'll be staying a bit longer this year now, woncha..?

Thunderthumbs is not on commission (yet) indeed, but be sure he's rewarded with a massive [b]thank you[/b] from me :huh: - whatever that is worth.....

Make yourselves known to me Bass Chatters, when you're there, it's always good to hook up with new faces! :) :ph34r: :brow:

I'm not in a position to debate whether £20 is steep or not. None of the organisers is making a pennie out of the event, we actually stick money in to make it happen. The points some of you guys have been making are very valid though: when you go to a Richard Bona gig, you'll be looking at £20 as well and you'll get only him!
At [b][url="http://www.bassday.co.uk"]Bass Day UK[/url][/b] you'll get many more artists, you'll have a chance to chat with them, attend clinics by them.... Tha's kinda good, innit?

Edited by Pris-

I'll be there. In answer to the queries, I think it's well worth it. You get to see some of the world's top players and ogle/try loads of nice gear too. What's not to love? Just take ear plugs, just in case; several hours of punters all playing Teen Town (or whatever the tune du jour is) gets a bit mind scrambling in the end.

Edited by 4000

I'll be there, having been last year for the first time. One thing to throw in to the cost/value thing is that gear can be ordered on site at discounts, and you'll buy strings for a tenner a pack.

I still think Basschat should have a F.O.C. table for recruiting members in lieu of Bass Day being promoted here. :)

I was supposed to be going as part of the bass collective, sadly a gig has come in. I've known Stevie for years and think he and the other organisers have done a fab job. It's an event they can be proud of. I hear that it's growing in populrity, I hope that continues and that one day I'll be able to say no to the gig offer (there always is one) and come along.
Jake

I'll be going again this year.
TBH the fee is OK,the venue is great,plenty to see and do.Here's the thing,Pretty much every live performance bar the the one from Dave Marks was Jazz,at least i percieved it to be.As much as i like jazz there's a limit so hopefully there'll be a few different styles of music in the live performances.
In all though it was a great day and hats off to the people who pulled it of. :)

Great feedback, guys and thanks Mark and Jake for the UPS! :)

Kenny, were you there last year? If so, did you see this then? [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF736L9rbo"]BOND @ BASS DAY 2007[/url] I know it's only one artist, but throw in Dave Marks and there's already two not-jazz players ticked! :huh:

I'll look for ways to promote this forum on the event, because you bass heads is who we are doing it for!

I have been to every Bass Day since they started, great day now even better since venue change. The venue works really well as food and drinks are available in the cafe. Workshops and demo performances are usually of top standard, and do seem to get better each year. Bargain at only £20.

BIGd

I'll be there again - excellent last year - a much better venue than hitherto. Will uncle Bernie be playing very loudly again among the trade stands for 6-8 hours? An unexpected treat. There are some excellent and reasonably priced bars in the area - there's a particularly good Czech bar about 100 metres away (out of the main doors of RNCM, and walk down to your left).

[quote name='Pris-' post='294601' date='Sep 29 2008, 03:38 PM']Great feedback, guys and thanks Mark and Jake for the UPS! :)

Kenny, were you there last year? If so, did you see this then? [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PvF736L9rbo"]BOND @ BASS DAY 2007[/url] I know it's only one artist, but throw in Dave Marks and there's already two not-jazz players ticked! :huh:

I'll look for ways to promote this forum on the event, because you bass heads is who we are doing it for![/quote]

Yep,i was there on the sunday.
Dave Marks was great,albeit with a little help from one audience member who thought he was at a private lesson :huh: Jeff Berlin was very entertaining/funny (sorry BBC :ph34r: ) There's no doubt that all the players were/are of the highest standard but to me it was a bit too "Bass as a solo/lead instrument" is all.
Again it was a very enjoyable day,hats of to everyone who put the effort in for us all and i'll be bringing the family again this year. :huh:

Edited by kennyrodg

Looks like pretty good value to me; £20 doesn't go very far these days but to get quality artists, quality exhibitors all in one space for that price is excellent value for money.

Would love to go myself but I have a late gig the night before and its about 300 miles away! I'm originally from Manchester so maybe next year I can combine it with a trip to see the relatives..

Hope it goes well :)