Why become a member? ×

Aguilar Tonehammer

TheGreek

On the "[i][b]does it move when you plug into it[/b][/i]" question, that would be a Yes unless you have a 1/4" jack that has become so worn with use that it is now a 15/64" jack.

I also don't like it when the amp moves as I plug in, but seeing as I only do this once at each gig I've learned to live with it. :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1456753522' post='2991897']
Mostly this. Although for some people the TH500 is tonal nirvana (or today's version of it), some of us struggle to get on with the sound and the interactivity of the controls. In my personal case, the TH was incompatible with the cab I owned at the time.

Values are still good, so it makes sense to sell and let someone else get the benefit!
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one. Really did not like the TH500 I tried when I bought my Carvin, but thought it must have been just me!

Mine is set up as mid level, bass and treble at 1 o'clock and drive and mid freq at 11 o'clock. Gain at 12 and master at 9 or 10.

But all that really depends on the band, the bass and cab.

Edited by chris_b

I loved the sound of the TH500 amp I bought... but I still returned it due to the fan noise. After 10 minutes of being switched on it came blaring on at full blast when the amp wasn't even warm. At gig/rehearsal volume it wouldn't be an issue, but it would be if you're planning on also using it for low volume solo practice or recording.

There are people that claim their amp does not do this, but there are just as many who say theirs does but they just live with it. So YMMV and all that!

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1457106470' post='2995439']
It's not a plug-and-play amp IMO, in that with all the controls at 12 o'clock the tone is not great. It takes some time tweaking everything to find the tone for you. However, once you find it, it's a great sound!
[/quote]

Agree, you have to do a fair bit of work with it to get the sound you want, especially with the Gain and Drive as they are very interactive with each other. But as said, once you hit that sweet spot........

The fan is on a hair trigger apparently. It switches on really early and once it's on it doesn't switch off until you power down the amp. I can see it could bother those recording with it. I wish Aguilar had invested in some lower noise fans. I've toyed with the idea of replacing it with a more silent one, but silent fans usually have a much lower air displacement and thus lower cooling capacity. If Noctua ever makes a 50mm fan I might do it though...

I suspect the partnering is important, in terms of getting the best out of the amp.
A change of situation might be best adapted to by change of instrument rather than change of amplification?
After all the general principle is to amplify the bass to present its true sounds.
I heard some bass player change instrument for a song, but the sound remains the same, as the centre of gravity is taken up by the amp..........

[quote name='Treb' timestamp='1457266759' post='2996818']
The fan is on a hair trigger apparently. It switches on really early and once it's on it doesn't switch off until you power down the amp. I can see it could bother those recording with it. I wish Aguilar had invested in some lower noise fans. I've toyed with the idea of replacing it with a more silent one, but silent fans usually have a much lower air displacement and thus lower cooling capacity. If Noctua ever makes a 50mm fan I might do it though...
[/quote]

Not only a quieter fan, but a higher threshold for it to come on, and an intelligent speed controller rather than just on and off.

I had one and moved it on after about 6 months. Reasons:

1) I found it had a really lovely 'core tone' (which is why I bought it after noodling on one in PMT Brum one afternoon) but was lacking in versatility - so I'm really surprised to see it described in this thread as a 'versatile' amp. I'd say it's the least versatile amp I've ever owned. Aguilar clearly have a very particular view of what good bass tone is, and while it is certainly a very good view, it is also a very narrow one, and I began to feel oppressed and suffocated by the voicing of the TH after a while.

2) I found the gain and drive controls (and the interaction between them) to be as mad as a box of frogs.

3) I also found the fan really irritating. Clearly not an issue at gigs, but at home it got on my wick to have the sound of hoovering start up after just 5 mins of practice time.

Having said all that, it is still a great amp overall, and if I had more disposable income and storage space at my disposal I would have been happy to keep it for old-skool covers band stuff, etc., where it works a treat. The guy who bought mine told me he was going to use it for small jazz club gigs, and I think it would be great for that, too.

I've not had a chance to really explore my TH350 yet. However, from what little dabbling I have done it could probably cover quite a lot of ground.

I mucked about the drive and gain last night and could get a nice clean type tone but also when cranked a good dirty one.

I think it's a lovely little piece of kit. I must admit I haven't noticed the fan, even when I told everybody to shut up last night at practice I still had to listen for it.

And it's monsterously loud for such a tiny box, gain and drive @12o'clock and master @9o'clock last night could be heard as clear as a bell and our drummer uses lump hammers for drum sticks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, curiosity got the better of me and I've got a TH500 incoming! Be interesting to hear how it sounds paired up with my Barefaced Big Twin 2. Will spend a bit of time A/B'ing it with my Shuttle 9.2, with my Bongo, Warwick Streamer and Sire V7. I know they're very differently voiced amps, which is why I've gone for it really, to get something warmer without having to use a pedal. Actually quite excited about this!

No idea about the fan issue. Had a good three-hour full volume session on Monday playing punk and rock covers and the TH didn't seem to break a sweat... Will deal with these issues if and when they come, but for now I'm chuffed with it!

No issues with my 5 ers, What basses and cabs are you using.

My TH500 sounds great with my 5 string Lull PJ5 and Lakland 55-94.

This amp sounds perfect with both my Berg CN212 and Super Compacts.

I'm A/Bing it with my new Mesa D800 and so far it's ahead by a fag paper.

[quote name='jaakkeeeeeee' timestamp='1458559527' post='3008508']
I have two SL112's. I use Sandberg California TM5's. I have run other amp heads through the cabs and found what I was looking for but seems to struggle with the TH. Maybe I am just picky!
[/quote]i

But you identified a problem with the 5 sting bass! If a 4 string bass works and a 5 string doesn't I'd be looking at the bass or the EQ. Have you tried other 5 ers through this amp?

I love my TH500, sounds spot on to me through my Fender Neo 410 and plenty of room to move tone wise. I play in an indie/electro thingy set-up and I have no issues with volume or tone, in fact volume wise I can easily drown the guitarist through 8ohms.