Why become a member? ×

60s fender ? Spot the obvious? GO

Joebethell

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1454450575' post='2969950']
I'm no expert but that looks very suspiciously exactly like a 2008 road worn Mexican Jazz.
[/quote]
What I thought too, and this was before I looked at the headstock!!

Hmm. Sadly for him, I don't think a con would post that picture. But then again, surely noone would believe 1960s Fenders were made in mexico??

I can't believe that the guy would part with that sort of money without doing some homework first. It took me 30 seconds to discover that Fender didn't start building instruments in Mexico until 1990.

He's got it from the States judging by the price that he says he paid for it.

They might know very well what it is, and they're just chancing their arm. Put a high price, hope someone fancies it. It doesn't actually state it's a bass from 1960; it just describes the instrument, and puts a year at the end (they could easily argue that was a description of its appearance -- "it looks a bit like old 1960s basses, that's all I meant"). And it actually says they paid just over four dollars for it.

Quite a clever ad, if that's the case -- it doesn't actually tell any lies. Caveat emptor and all that.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1454466153' post='2970066']
They might know very well what it is, and they're just chancing their arm. Put a high price, hope someone fancies it. It doesn't actually state it's a bass from 1960; it just describes the instrument, and puts a year at the end (they could easily argue that was a description of its appearance -- "it looks a bit like old 1960s basses, that's all I meant"). And it actually says they paid just over four dollars for it.

Quite a clever ad, if that's the case -- it doesn't actually tell any lies. Caveat emptor and all that.
[/quote]

I agree with Zenitram's opinion...

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1454502218' post='2970254']
I dont suppose anybody has PM'd him with the bad news then??
[/quote]

I have, without reply

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1454466153' post='2970066']
And it actually says they paid just over four dollars for it.
[/quote]

You're right. $4.05 is a steal for an MIM Jazz. £2200 is not :lol:

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1454505338' post='2970301']
$4.05 is a steal for an MIM Jazz. £2200 is not :lol:
[/quote]

But, and this was my point, they have every right to offer it for sale at whatever price they like. There's nothing fraudulent about the listing, so good luck to them.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1454508455' post='2970334']
But, and this was my point, they have every right to offer it for sale at whatever price they like. There's nothing fraudulent about the listing, so good luck to them.
[/quote]

You're absolutely right but I think they'd need more than luck :)

I'm glad that it has been taken down. I also reported this auction. It's all very well for us to judge whether or not this is a fraudulent attempt to sell a bass that is worth considerably less than the asking price. We also know that it is not worth the money. I would far prefer to side with the poor sod who may unknowingly buy this to find out later that he has made a big mistake. The buyer may also have saved for a considerable time to get that first really nice bass. I have no time for the seller who is trying to pass this off as something which it isn't. Even if the seller was duped into buying this he should take the hit and not try to pass it on for a grossly inflated sum. So, I don't think that it is good on him. Where has our sense of decency gone for goodness sake!

Edited by Hutton