Why become a member? ×

The Future Of "The Jug"

phil.c60

Last Saturday I went to see a band and the drummer turned out to be someone I knew quite well. The usual deal at this particular venue is a fee plus "The Jug". At half time he told me that their policy had changed, and it was now 15% of the bar take between 8.30 and 11.30 plus "The Jug". Hmm. He also asked if I'd go round with the jug so the staff didn't have to (more staff behind the bar, more sales, especially as it's a small pub with only two staff).
More than one person said they had no money whatsoever, and when I told her this my observant wife had already noticed that they were paying for rounds with debit cards. Not contact-less yet but that must be next - a tap your card type terminal on the bar.
If this becomes more and more prevalent, as surely it must, is there any future for "The Jug"?
It only matters because bar sales are not necessarily the sign of a good band, where as what people put in "The Jug" probably is, which is why this type of deal suits both parties: the pub don't have to pay out a large fee but the band have the opportunity to earn well if they are entertaining (and have a good "Jugger" with a bit of personality - we do, fortunately).
Any thoughts?
And my harp player has already suggested we get our own wireless terminal so no prizes for that one!

We played there on the Friday - cracking pub, very different to the other one we discussed. Unfortunately the jug went out quite late and we did really badly on that but quite well on the bar take.

Th landlord is a really decent guy, but he is having big problems with the PubCo, and you couldn't help but notice the residential development going up next door.

We're back in May, and frankly, it is one I'd do for nothing, but I do hope he gets things sorted by then.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1453908601' post='2964091']
The Jug is basically a tips jar for the band. A bit like the busker's hat.
[/quote]

It was always referred to as 'passing the hat round' in Cardiff. This was back in the 80s/early 90s mind.
Don't even know if it's done anymore as that was probably the last time I saw a band in a pub.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453910165' post='2964122']
The last place I was in where they passed a jug round definitely wasn't a music venue... :blink:
[/quote]

I always thought the Corrs had made enough money without needing a pub collection <_<

Edited by Mykesbass

Typically a jazz thing where the 'house/regular' band are on the fee and the guests share the jug.

I seem to recall a jug being worth about £7-8 per man..including the house band so that would be
about £50 or so in it.

I can't see 15% of bar take working round here...as a couple have tried it and that killed the bands willing to play there
stone dead.

I can actually sympathise with the pub that tried it.... as I've never seen them have that many people in...
but that to me just says the venue isn't working... everyone should just give it up.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1453919218' post='2964268']
Nothing less classy than the jug - go and busk if you want tips or up your fee in the first place.
[/quote]

There are quite a few pub venues down this way where a fee plus the jug is well established; a lot of them are long standing venues where some [u]very[/u] good musicians play.
I'm pleased that you don't have to lower yourself to their level B)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1453920142' post='2964281']

I can actually sympathise with the pub that tried it.... as I've never seen them have that many people in...
but that to me just says the venue isn't working... everyone should just give it up.
[/quote]

This venue is working, but problems with the big PubCo's (Punch Taverns, Enterprise Inns etc.) are well documented - it seems these companies were only ever in it for the value of the buildings as assets, and this landlord was very open to me about this. Also, the jug pubs do seem to be the ones that have great audiences, so, if like me, you love playing to an enthusiastic audience rather than going home with your pockets stuffed full of fivers, locally, these pubs are well worth playing.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1453998425' post='2965192']
Business men are better paid than musicians, what can I say?
[/quote]

As am I - It's fun all the way for me when it comes to music. I don't need the money and I'm with Mykesbass on this. We even share some venues and he's quite right about the quality of audience, they tend to be more than just "punters" and often are sprinkled with other musicians enjoying other peoples playing.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1453998809' post='2965200']
This venue is working, but problems with the big PubCo's (Punch Taverns, Enterprise Inns etc.) are well documented - it seems these companies were only ever in it for the value of the buildings as assets, and this landlord was very open to me about this. Also, the jug pubs do seem to be the ones that have great audiences, so, if like me, you love playing to an enthusiastic audience rather than going home with your pockets stuffed full of fivers, locally, these pubs are well worth playing.
[/quote]

Maybe there is a precedent set locally.
Jugs have never been big round here...apart from Jazzers, which is where I first came across them.

The scene here is vibrant enough to pay a standard fee..which is why the pub that tried the % deal
didn't last 5 minutes..everyone pulled out of the gigs.

A rough calcuation of 15% of £1000 is your £150..and depending on the pub, £1000 takings might be a very good night for them.
So you are going to have to milk the jug a bit to even end up with £250...??
Too many pubs here pay that as standard.

I'm all for variations of the theme, but fees are too low as it is...IMO... so nobody is voting for a pay cut.

To get £350 off takings...which would be a variable anyway... you'd have to take £2500 over the bar..??

The better musicians want £70-80 a man for a min 4 piece.

No one is going to offer a variable fee when they can get a set fee elsewhere so easily... not round here and not with
Shepherd Neame pumping so much money into music pubs.
I'd say over 80% of music round here in pubs is in Shepherd Neame pubs..??

So, no, I don't want to see the jug turn up..... too many people moan at an extra few pence on a pint..
So although people harp on about supporting music...they forget that when asked to put their hand in their
pocket...

Edited by JTUK