Why become a member? ×

The Future Of "The Jug"

phil.c60

Haven't seen this around here for a long time.
The pub where I play do run a weekly raffle, with the profits from that helping to pay
for the band. We've held down a Thursday residency now for eight years, so can't be
that much of a financial burden.
The thing with the bar profit percentage scenario is that it's asking the band to in effect
bear the 'risk' of playing there, which surely is down to the landlord / pub as it's their business.
Okay, if it's a busy night then the band benefits, but why should they lose out if it's not, when this
could be down to factors beyond their control i.e poor promotion, lousy beer etc?
Just sayin.....

Things seem to be getting a bit confused.
All of the venues where we play except this one pay a fee, some pay a smaller fee and then pass the jug - primarily smaller venues. The 15% thing is a new one on me, and the venue in question, which both Mykesbass and I have payed at regularly (us for a long time before the current guy took over which is about 18 months ago: can't speak for Mkyesbass about that) has only just started that as a policy. It always used to pay a fee. I can certainly see, as JTUK says, that some bands will drop it s a venue: It wouldn't surprise me at all, and it will be the better bands so the whole thing has the potential to turn into a downward spiral. It would be a shame as it's a nice place to play.I also agree with Casapete's comments.
The main point was that as the jug is an established local practice, if people start to pay and more at the bar by debit card, and come out with no cash things will have to change. The venues will be reluctant, but if they won't up their fee, and the jug values drop so the bands don't want to play there it will probably mean less venues. Not good.
As for the "Why aren't you in an originals band then" comment form LayDownThaFunk: WTF has that got to do with he price of fish? You, Sir, are clearly a troll and I don't propose to enter into any further comment tennis with you on this subject or any other. Life's too short. As is probably a certain part of your anatomy. (Sorry, Mods - couldn't help myself).

Edited by phil.c60

I've only come across this situation once in my gigging career so far. I found the "jug" bearers uncomfortably aggressive and was glad I was in one of the bands playing and not being bothered by them. At one point we had to go a rescue our driver/roadie from their attentions. I would be very reluctant to play a gig like that again.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1454079501' post='2966250']
Things seem to be getting a bit confused.
All of the venues where we play except this one pay a fee, some pay a smaller fee and then pass the jug - primarily smaller venues. The 15% thing is a new one on me, and the venue in question, which both Mykesbass and I have payed at regularly (us for a long time before the current guy took over which is about 18 months ago: can't speak for Mkyesbass about that) has only just started that as a policy. It always used to pay a fee. I can certainly see, as JTUK says, that some bands will drop it s a venue: It wouldn't surprise me at all, and it will be the better bands so the whole thing has the potential to turn into a downward spiral. It would be a shame as it's a nice place to play.I also agree with Casapete's comments.
The main point was that as the jug is an established local practice, if people start to pay and more at the bar by debit card, and come out with no cash things will have to change. The venues will be reluctant, but if they won't up their fee, and the jug values drop so the bands don't want to play there it will probably mean less venues. Not good.
As for the "Why aren't you in an originals band then" comment form LayDownThaFunk: WTF has that got to do with he price of fish? You, Sir, are clearly a troll and I don't propose to enter into any further comment tennis with you on this subject or any other. Life's too short. As is probably a certain part of your anatomy. (Sorry, Mods - couldn't help myself).
[/quote]
Every post I've made in this thread is perfectly valid and way off trolling. If you would like to discuss this with me in a more mature manner then please use the private message system, thank you.

It tends to be the more informal places that will doa jug... or maybe charities, but otherwise
even pubs round here don't tend to 'like' it.

Of course, and out of town band might try and do a jug to get a few more coppers but pubs put the
band on the price of beer anyway, so it probably would go down to well either..

Not a regular thing or on a regular basis...and besides, who wants to be stiffed with going
round with the 'begging' bowl.

You'd just about .... get away with it..?? if you had a guest or guests who significantly added to the gig
and weren't getting paid..? maybe.

Just to say that a 'low cost' or zero cost band is not [i]necessarily [/i]a bad band. i play in one, for instance. I'll admit that the odds may be a bit more 'stacked', but I've seen and heard quite a few 'ropey' bands that cost a fair chunk in my time. Some folks play well for free, or little.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1453908601' post='2964091']
The Jug is basically a tips jar for the band. A bit like the busker's hat.
[/quote]

Here in the States most bar bands have a tip jar strtigically placed. We have ours next to our cds and merch. With an engaged crowd that tip jar is an extra $25.00 each.

We never pass the tip jar around. I understand bands in England look down on tip jar use.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1454198189' post='2967519']...I understand bands in England look down on tip jar use...
[/quote]

In general (there are always exceptions...), the very concept of tipping is antithetical to most Britons, I'd suggest.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454200765' post='2967538']

In general (there are always exceptions...), the very concept of tipping is antithetical to most Britons, I'd suggest.
[/quote]

Yup, a cultural thing. Me, if a $100.00 night turns into $125.00 I'm cool with that.

The bar band business is a hustle.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1454200765' post='2967538']

[/quote]
We have minimum wage in Britain. In America (particularly waiters/barstaff) they are paid under the minimum wage with the assumption that they'll make enough tips to bring them up over that minimum.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454236839' post='2967667']
We have minimum wage in Britain. In America (particularly waiters/barstaff) they are paid under the minimum wage with the assumption that they'll make enough tips to bring them up over that minimum.
[/quote]

Street beggars live in similar hopes. :mellow:

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1454236839' post='2967667']

[/quote]

True, however I'm going to tip a good waiter or waitress regardless of their hourly wage.Their base wage could be $25.00 per hour, I'm still going to leave a tip.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1453928479' post='2964410']
There are quite a few pub venues down this way where a fee plus the jug is well established; a lot of them are long standing venues where some [u]very[/u] good musicians play.
I'm pleased that you don't have to lower yourself to their level B)
[/quote]

Yes, set fee plus the hat/jug which, in my experience, usually puts 50% or more on the fee.

And they are long standing venues with some name-known musicians playing.